Began writing The Outsiders at 15
Published in 1967
Focused on class conflict and division
Greasers vs. Socials (Socs)
Setting: 1960’s, Southwest, Tulsa, OK
Point of View: first person, Ponyboy Curtis
Pioneer of the YA genre
Rich vs. Poor
Moral Code/Code of Conduct Among the Lawless
Loss of consciousness
Write a description for the following characters:
The Greasers in general
The Socs in general
Darrel “Darry” Curtis
Dallas “Dally” Winston
Keith “Two-Bit” Matthews
Organize the events from Chapters 1-8 in the order they occurred.
• Dally gives Pony and Johnny money and directions.
• Pony and Johnny fall asleep in the lot.
• Pony is jumped.
• Two-Bit and Pony visit Johnny in the hospital.
• Pony and Johnny go to Windrixville.
• Pony and Johnny run to the park.
• Two-Bit, Johnny, and Pony start to take Cherry and Marcia home.
• Dally, Johnny, and Pony go to the movies.
• Dally asks for Two-Bit’s switchblade.
• The Socs hold Pony’s head underwater.
• Pony and Johnny save some kids.
• Two-Bit and Pony meet Cherry in the vacant lot.
• Randy talks to Pony.
• Darry hits Pony
• Darry , Soda, and Pony are interviewed for the newspaper.
Identify the following quotes said by one of the following: Pony, Dally, Darry, Johnny,
Soda, Two-Bit, Steve, Cherry. Characters may be used twice.
1. “No, Johnny not my hair!”
2. “I wish you’d come back and turn yourselves (sic) in…”
3. “I couldn’t tell Dally that I hated to shoot things.”
4. “I guess we ruined our hair for nothing.”
5. “Oh, Pony, I thought we’d lost you.”
6. “Work? And ruin my rep?”
7. “I’m scared stiff. I used to talk about killing myself…”
8. “We gotta get even with the Socs. For Johnny.”
9. “They play your way. No weapons, fair deal. Your rules.”
10. “I’m really home in bed…”
11. “Would you rather have me living in hideouts for the rest of my life, on the run?”
12. “They’d never believe a greasey-lookin’ mug could be a hero.”
13. “…if the fuzz show, you two beat it out of there. The rest of us can only get jailed.
14. “This house ain’t messy. You oughtta see my house.”
15. “Don’t you know a rumble ain’t a rumble unless I’m in it?”
16. “You smoke more than a pack today and I’ll skin you.”
17. “Oh, Ponyboy, your hair…your tuff, tuff hair…”
18. “You don’t know what a few months in jail can do to you.”
19. “I’ve got to cut out smoking or I won’t make track next year.”
20. “I know I’m too young to be in love and all that, but Bob was something special.”
Imagine it is your responsibility to cast a modern film version of The Outsiders. Who would you choose to fill the roles? Your actor/actress choices must be based, however loosely, on information from the novel and must be accompanied by a written reason for your decision.
Select at least two songs that you think would fit the drama of The Outsiders. One song choice must be the one that would be used in a trailer and the other must be one that would be used during the rumble scene. Additional songs are optional, however you should state for what scene the song would be used.