Answer each of the following in complete sentences. Your answer should be approximately a paragraph for each question. You may refer to the textbook.
1) Apply the functionalist perspective to explain why free public education became widespread in the United States in the mid-1800s.
2) Even in its earliest years, formal education reflected social class distinctions in society.
Although education is no longer reserved for the wealthy, class distinctions still remain.
Describe the differences in education available to rich and poor.
3) Discuss the differences between community colleges and four-year colleges and some of the factors related to which type college a student attends.
4) Discuss how Japanese education is related to its culture and economy.
5) According to functionalist theorists, education provides a number of social benefits.
Identify five of the manifest functions of education and briefly state how they benefit society.
6) According to functionalist theorists, education provides a number of social benefits.
Identify some of the latent functions of education and briefly state how they benefit society.
7) Explain how mainstreaming attempts to change the meaning of disabilities. How is this functional for society?
8) The conflict perspective emphasizes that education reproduces the social class structure.
Show how the concept of the hidden curriculum perpetuates social inequality.
9) Discuss the major functions of religion.
10) How do functionalists and conflict theorists differ in their approach to the study of religion?
11) How do symbolic interactionists view religion? What are the major aspects of religion that are most aligned with the symbolic interactionist perspective?
12) How does religion provide a legitimation of social inequality? What characteristics of religion make it so difficult to challenge beliefs that legitimate social inequalities?