HONORS MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OBJECTIVES
Unit 9: Kingdoms of Life
Topic: Classification of Animals
Textbook Source: Biology: A Guide to the Natural World (Krogh, 3 rd ed) Chapter 22 , pages 444 – 479
Objectives: Students will be able to:
1. Describe the major characteristics of animals.
2. Describe how the following characteristics are used to set up the animal phylogenic tree.
3. Distinguish between Protostomes and Deuterostomes and describe the development of each.
4. Describe the main characteristics of the nine major animal phyla and give examples of each (see table 22.1).
5. Describe the major characteristics of vertebrates.
6. Describe the following major groups of vertebrate chordates and provide examples of each.
Mammalia (Monotremes, Marsupial, Placental)
7. Referring back to objectives 4-6, include the following information in your descriptions:
General body plan
Type of symmetry
Protostome or Deuterostome
Type of body cavity (if any)- psdeudocoelum, coelem, etc.
Type of reproduction (Sexual, asexual, or both)
If digestive system type (one way or two way)
Any Appendages (if yes jointed or non-jointed)
Type of skeleton (internal, external) http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/sciences/zoology/animalclassification/