APPROVED Kaunas University of Technology Director of Infrastructure 4 December 2013 Order No. PP-120 THE MAIN RULES OF THE GAS APPLIANCES SAFETY I. GENERAL PROVISIONS 1. Ventilate the room before using gas appliances. Before switching on the gas stove oven, keep it open for a few seconds. 2. Make sure all the cocks of a gas appliance are tuned off. Only then turn on the gas pipe switch located next to the gas appliance. 3. When lighting any match-lit burners or ovens, always rely on the rule “the light (the spark) has to wait for the gas”. Therefore, you have to light the match first and then bring it to the burner before turning on the gas switch. 4. When switching off the last burner, turn off the switch of the gas pipe located next to the gas appliance first and only then (when the flame stops burning) turn off the switch of the burner. 5. When the gas stops flowing to the burner unexpectedly, turn off the gas pipe switch located next to the gas appliance immediately. 6. All gas appliances with electrical power have to be earthed to the ground. II. THINGS TO BE NEVER DONE WHEN USING GAS APPLIANCES 7. Leaving a working gas appliance unattended. 8. Using a gas appliance with the purpose of heating the room. 9. Drying laundry above a gas appliance. 10. Leaving the burners of a gas appliance dirty. 11. Placing dishes directly on top of a burner of a gas appliance. 12. Blowing out the flame of the burner. 13. Storing flammable materials near a gas appliance. 14. Gluing, covering or otherwise blocking the air vents. 15. Using faulty gas appliances. 16. Repairing, disassembling or installing new gas appliances at one's own initiative. 17. Using a gas appliance when there is a smell of gas in the room. 18. Searching for gas leakage by using an open fire. 19. Allowing small children or other persons who were not properly instructed to use a gas appliance. 20. Sleeping in the rooms where gas appliances are installed. III. FINAL PROVISIONS 21. All persons who use gas appliances have to be instructed. 22. The gas leakage can be detected by smell (one can feel a specific gas smell). The result of the gas leakage is a mixture of natural gas and air which can explode due to a spark (for example, when pressing the electric door bell, switching on/off the lights, etc.), bringing in an open fire or smoking. When there is a gas smell in the room, it is necessary to: 22.1. turn off the gas pipe switch located next to the gas appliance and the switch of the gas alliance immediately; 22.2. open the windows and the doors in order to ventilate the room; 22.3. not to allow people to enter the room; 22.4. not to burn matches and not to smoke; 22.5. not to turn on/off any electrical switches and electrical appliances; 22.6. not to use the gas appliance (even if the gas smell has vanished); continue ventilation; inform the administrator of the building who will call a licensed gas technician; 22.7. immediately call emergency services if the smell of the gas continues (Tel: 04 – TEO LT or (8 37) 40 12 04. 22.8. People do not usually get intoxicated in rooms where there is a gas leakage but they may suffocate due to the lack of oxygen. This is caused by emission of carbon monoxide. It is dangerous to breathe the air with carbon monoxide even for a short period of time. This problem occurs when the burners are dirty or when they do not function properly. 24. The symptoms of poisoning by gas combustion products (carbon monoxide) are the following: 24.1. dizziness and nausea; 24.2. noise in the ears; 24.3. sleepiness, feeling chilly. 25. How to help a person who has been poisoned: 25.1. take the person outside the room; 25.2. loosen up tight-fitting clothes; 25.3. wrap the person up well; 25.4. do not let the person fall asleep; 25.5. give the person some hot drinks; 25.6. call an ambulance.