Types of Employment for F


Types of Employment for F-1 Students

On Campus Employment:

Student can work on campus, contractual services, or an education affiliation.

Must be a full time student in status.

20 hrs per week; full time vacations/holidays.

Authorization is based on end date of form I-20 or transfer.

EAD card not required.

Off-Campus Employment- Severe Economic Hardship:

A student can request off campus employment as a result of severe economic hardship.

Student must be full time, present evidence of economic hardship, on campus employment opportunities not available or insufficient, will not interfere with coursework.

Limited to 20 hrs work per week; full time holidays/vacation.

Must apply to DSO and USCIS Service Center

EAD card required before permitted to work.

Curricular Practical Training:

Student can apply for employment that is an integral part of established curriculum (must be directly related to the student’s field of study and commensurate with the student’s educational level).

The training must be a requirement of the program of study and/or receive course credit. Can be full or part time. If more than 20 hours per week, hrs are deducted from eligible OPT hours.

Training is limited to a maximum of 12 months.

To be eligible student must be eligible full time for one full academic year and in status.

Student must continue to maintain full course of study in F-1 status during the period of employment, but some exceptions may exist for some OPT.

A written job offer indicating job title, dates of employment, number of hours, and location of

 employment are required.

No EAD card is required.

Optional Practical Training:

This employment opportunity is available to an F-1 student who has been lawfully enrolled on a full time basis for one full academic year.

For post-completion OPT, It is recommended that a student submits the OPT application up to

90 days prior to completion of study.

Employment/volunteer work (post-completion OPT) must be related to course of study.

Training may be part time during the student’s studies or full time during vacations and holidays while in OPT after course completion must be full time. OPT after course completion must be full time.

No job offer is required.

The training is limited to a maximum of 12 months within 14 month period following the completion of study after each level of education.

Students in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math) major are allowed up to a maximum of 17 months of training.

When a student authorized to engage in OPT after graduation enters another educational

 program, the OPT is terminated.

EAD card is required.

To apply for EAD card and other required immigration forms, go to: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis