Tier 5 Checklist - University of Nottingham

Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange)
(Funded Research Rrojects)
A sponsored researcher is someone:
Employed by an overseas higher education institution
Undertaking ‘funded’ research as part of a formal research project hosted (but not
necessarily funded) by a UK research institution
Working (as a researcher) under the full or partial control of the institution which will
directly benefit from the research
Sponsored Researchers can be funded from sources in the UK or overseas.
Note: Individuals who are PhD students and members of staff overseas may come under the
Tier 5 route if it is clear that the employment is independent of the PhD studies (and will
continue beyond the PhD studies) and that the funding provided is for work and not studies.
Where one or both of the above is not clear the Tier 5 route will not be used. However, other
routes may be a possibility.
Are you employed by an overseas higher
education institution? If yes, what is your job
title and the duration of your employment
(start and end dates if known).
Is the research you are planning on
undertaking at the University of Nottingham
connected to your PhD research or completely
Who will be funding you and what funding will
you receive for the research you are planning
to do (please send a scanned copy of your
funding letter)?
Give details of the funded research project
that you will be working on.
Are you registered for a PhD? If yes, what
stage are you at with your PhD studies and
will you be suspending your studies for the
time that you will be in the UK?
Completed by: