Questions and Answers for Grazing Agreement
1. What types of grazing arrangements does this Agreement cover?
A: The one Agreement covers Heifer Grazing, Winter/Seasonal Grazing and Dry
Stock Grazing. Each is dealt with separately as they each have different
2. I want to send my heifers to a grazier. I also want to set up grazing for my
cows over the winter. Do I have to pay on a weekly fee basis or is there
another option?
A: Heifer Grazing: there are 2 payment options:
a weekly fee; or
a liveweight gain fee, which includes a weekly advance payment.
To cater for the growing needs of these heifers, we’ve allowed for fees to be set
at different rates across the term of the Agreement.
Winter Grazing: There are 3 payment options:
a weekly fee;
a liveweight gain fee, which includes a weekly advance payment; or
payment per kilogram dry matter
3. I need to send some hoggets away for grazing. Can I just pay a weekly fee?
A: Yes you can, and we’ve also given you the choice of paying on a liveweight gain
basis, with a weekly advanced payment.
4. I want to make sure my stock come back in top condition. How can I make
this happen?
A: Discussing what feed will be available during the term at sign up, is a good start.
We have a comprehensive section on what feed is available in all 3 types of grazing
Both the Heifer Grazing and the Dry Stock Grazing arrangements allow for different
amounts and types of feed to be supplied in different seasons throughout the term.
This helps to cover variations in pasture growth and quality and seasonality and, in
the case of young stock, increasing demands as they grow.
We’ve also included the opportunity to discuss at sign-up what will happen during
times of a feed shortage. We encourage you to have a plan in place for these
Setting up a good reporting system at the start of the Agreement will help stock
owners keep track of the condition of their stock while they are away grazing. We’ve
set into the Agreement a monthly reporting regime of such things as weight
measurements, body condition scoring, feed on hand, births and deaths. But it is up
to both parties to decide which of these you want included and there may be others
you may like to add.
Communication is important and the stock owner must take note of what is reported
so that action can be taken if required. It takes both parties to make sure that stock
are well looked after.
5. I will be growing a crop to help feed those stock that are coming onto my
property. What can I do if the stock owner decides not to send his stock to
A: We have included a termination process and a dispute process.
At the start of the Agreement the grazier can set in place a termination notice period,
which could be a period of months, if that is what is agreed. This means that the
stock owner will have to give that amount of notice to the grazier if they change their
mind and want to keep their stock at home or send them elsewhere. If you want to
use this clause it is important the agreement is signed at the time you plant your
The dispute process sets out clearly what needs to be done if there is a breach. If
the stock owner decides not to send their stock to the grazier and the notice period
set in the Agreement is longer than that which is actually given, then the grazier will
be able to follow the dispute process in order to remedy the situation.
6. What can I do if I am concerned about the welfare of my stock?
A: The stock owner can terminate the Agreement if they reasonably believe there are
animal welfare concerns for their stock.