YOUNG ENGINEERS PROGRAMME
ABUJA –NIGERIA 2-7 NOVEMBER 2014
‘‘HARNESSING ENERGY WITHIN
GEORGE OUMA OTIENO
BSC IN ELECTRICAL AND INFORMATION ENGINEERING
AUTO-RUN CELLPHONE 05-11-2014 3
The Auto-run Cellphone is a project that addresses the issue of quick battery
discharge in smartphones due to the many applications that run. The project solves this generating electrical energy for charging while mobile is being used.
This is achieved by a pretty small wireless device that is mounted at the back of
the phone to act as a charger. It uses energy from the radiation caused by the
Radiofrequency from the Base Transceiver Station (BTS) while communication is taking place. The device does the conversion and regulation of the Voltage and
Current to achieve mobile charging specifications.
AUTO-RUN CELLPHONE 05-11-2014 4
• World Population
• The General Picture
• Communication Process
• Mobile Site
• The Idea
• The Process
• First Prototype
• Cost Benefit Analysis
AUTO-RUN CELLPHONE 05-11-2014 5
• Energy Consumption for charging mobile phones in Africa
• Alternative and sustainable mobile phone charging for reduced energy consumption
• Generating 2W-5W range of electrical power for charging
• Prototype and its operation
AUTO-RUN CELLPHONE 05-11-2014 6
• Detection of the radio frequency waves
• Converting the radio frequency to electrical energy using the device monopole antenna
• Stabilization or regulation to universal standard of 4-6V, 100mA-1000mA
• Connection to charging system
AUTO-RUN CELLPHONE 05-11-2014 7
• Living in the age of: -
• Hand-held devices
• Wireless Devices
AUTO-RUN CELLPHONE 05-11-2014 9
• 7.125billion people in the world in 2013 (Source: World Bank)
• Population Growth Rate projected to be 1.2% annually
• Africa’s Population is 2 nd largest in the World after Asia.
• Africa has 15% of the world’s population, approximately 1.068billion people
AUTO-RUN CELLPHONE 05-11-2014 10
• Technology requires energy to drive it.
• Main source of energy in Africa is Electrical Energy.
• Other sources of power – solar, wind – currently expensive and out of reach of most.
• Power Generation in Africa mainly Hydro and Geothermal
• Global warming has affected weather patterns which has affected power generation
• This leads to inadequate power generation therefore most countries in Africa experience, Black Outs, Power Rationing, etc
AUTO-RUN CELLPHONE 05-11-2014 11
• Assuming 70% of Africa’s Population each has a mobile device
• 70% of 1.068billion = 0.75billion people
• Maximum Power required to charge a mobile phone is approximately 5W
• Therefore, total power required for charging is: -
• 0.75billion * 5W = 3.75GW
• Demand is too HIGH!
• Alternative means of charging phones needs to be found.
AUTO-RUN CELLPHONE 05-11-2014 12
Electrical energy is a precious commodity that needs to be
CONSERVED at all costs.
Alternative, Sustainable and Affordable means of charging cell phones in Africa must be found.
HARNESSING radiofrequency waves; CONVERT to electrical energy; REGULATING the energy; CHARGING of cellphone.
AUTO-RUN CELLPHONE 05-11-2014 13
AUTO-RUN CELLPHONE 05-11-2014 14
The principle behind this invention is based on harnessing the radiated electromagnetic waves from the cellphone antenna
Formation of magnetic field around the antenna will lead to generation of electrical energy
The electrical energy generated is the power that charges your cell phone
AUTO-RUN CELLPHONE 05-11-2014 16
Not all radio frequency waves are to be converted, just about 70% of it.
The charging takes place when you: -
• receive a call
• make a call
• send a text and
• while browsing
AUTO-RUN CELLPHONE 05-11-2014 17
Detection of Radio
(connection to charging system)
1 st Prototype
2 nd Prototype 5 400 2 Sufficient
AUTO-RUN CELLPHONE 05-11-2014 19
Mobile Phone Users.
Hand Held Computers.
Any wireless communication device
AUTO-RUN CELLPHONE 05-11-2014 20
No charger required.
Gives your phone energy especially when you need.
Your phone can run for a good number of days without ac plug in.
AUTO-RUN CELLPHONE 05-11-2014 21
Some mobile phones are not compatible with this system.( more research)
Efficiency reduction in some mobile phone devices.
Causes overheating in other phone devices ( Motorola, Huawei)
AUTO-RUN CELLPHONE 05-11-2014 22
ITEM DESCRIPTION QTY UNIT
1 Hardware Design
2 Hardware Fabrication
3 Scaling of Prototype
Assuming $1 = KSHS. 87.00, Total Cost
AUTO-RUN CELLPHONE 05-11-2014 24
• Cost of Energy Generation and Consumption in Africa is high.
• With Alternative, Affordable and Sustainable means of charging cellphones, the energy can be diverted to other uses.
• The Auto-run Cellphone invention will ensure energy is sustained, conserved and is affordable to most.
AUTO-RUN CELLPHONE 05-11-2014 25