Strategic development goal in
Master Plan 2015:
LIFE QUALITY GROWTH -
constant, based on economical possibilities and socially motivated
Central (grey colour) city zone has a priority for renovation and conversion www.vilnius.lt/bplanas
STRATEGICAL PRIORITIES OF THE CITY
Investments concentration on the right bank of the river Neris:
Vilnius municipality supports all development projects here,
Public spaces and streets project in the new city center is under the preparation,
Project of Kalvarijų str. renewal till Santariskes with fast tram line is under the preparation,
Neris terrace is planned for cultural objects.
Conversion of former industrial territories with focus on the central part of the city
Completion of projects.
ACCORDING TO MASTER PLAN 2015
Conversion potential ~ 500 ha
Central city zone ~ 120 ha
TERRITORIES WITH THE BIGGEST POTENTIAL FOR
COMPLEX RENEWAL AND CONVERSION
ŠNIPIŠKĖS - ŽIRMŪNAI
49 000 inhabitants.
VILKPĖDĖ – NAUJAMIESTIS - NAUJININKAI
55 000 inhabitants.
Negative attitude to the new construction
Lack of small and medium size enterprises
Negative demographical situation
Heavy transport traffic
POSSIBILITIES TO RENEW AND CONVERT TERRITORIES IN
THE CENTRAL CITY ZONE
Action: Feasibility study for the
Purpose: to define potential for the complex regeneration of the territory
– current and possible according to Master Plan
– MOST SUCCESFUL CONVERSION
Former military base of soviet tanks;
Multifunctional territory of 60 ha;
Municipality established the company
“ Northern Town” in 1998 – land was leased, former military buildings were handed over;
“Northern Town” Ltd. sub leased territories for investors following the tender rules;
Collected infrastructure fee paid for streets and engineering network.
“Northern Town” Ltd. and Ministry of
Economics established public company “Technology Park of Northern
Town” which provides business incubation services for innovative companies.
REALIZED CONVERSION PROJECTS
“Springs houses”– former machines factory “Komunaras” 3,4 ha, residential quarter
“Business triangle” – former footwear factory “Viktorija”, ~ 9 ha, commercial quarter
“PARK OF ARCHITECTURE” – TOP PRIORITY CONVERSION
Mixed use territory, housing for different social groups;
Place for the business start, incubators, creative industries;
Services provided, day care center;
City public spaces
Quality in planning and construction.
Territory of 78 ha in the Old town, where conversion project is under the implementation according the principles of sustainable development
PROJECT “OSLO HOUSES”, Mindaugo 27
Conversion from the former warehouses;
Project implementation 2009-2015 , 4 stages;
Land plot - 1.4 ha;
25 000 sq.m + 14 000 sq. m. underground area;
200 rooms hotel;
350 apartments and 1000 sq. m. of the commercial area;
Investments 100 mln. LT.
“VILNIAUS TAURAS” BREWERY CONVERSION
– 1,9 ha;
– residential and commercial (with hotel);
Detailed plan is under the preparation, building regulations are under the discussions;
• Former industrial buildings of the brewery are protected as cultural heritage objects
CONVERSION OF THE FORMER WELDING EQUIPMENT
• Territory ~ 19 ha;
• Project for the multifunctional quarter is ready;
• Project implementation is postponed because of economical decline in 2009
CONVERSION OF VILNIUS BAKERY
• Investment - 1000 MLT;
• Area - 1,7 ha;
• Purpose – residential and commercial;
• Floors: 5-9.;
• Total buildings area: ~23 000 m
„VILNIUS AUŠRA“ SEWING FACTORY CONVERSION
• Former sewing factory in Daugėliškis str.;
• Developer “APEKS” Ltd.
• Investment ~ 90 MLT;
• Area - 0,84 ha ;
• Purpose – residential;
• Status: tender of the architectural – urbanistical concept
INFORMACIJA IŠ LIETUVOS ARCHITEKTŲ SĄJUNGOS TINKLALAPIO
– LIVING IN FORMER INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS
• Lofts projects are becoming very popular;
• Strategically good locations in the city, affordable price, non standard space for living;
• There is no complex solution for the whole territory renewal, no public spaces, lack of greeneries;
• Complicated cleaning processes of contaminated buildings and soil.
VISMALIUKAI INOVATION ZONE
– FORMER MILITARY BASE
CONVERSION INTO TECHNOLOGIES AND BUSINESS
• Territory - 25 ha;
• 8 km from the center;
• From 2011 Government partly is financing infrastructure development;
• Vilnius universities are participating in the project;
• In 2010-2011 several scientific clusters were established.
VILNIUS STATIONS HUB RENEWAL AND RAILWAY
1. Reconstruction and optimization of the existing station territory ;
2. Railways str. reconstruction with extension to southern by pass;
3. Conversion of the old trade stations;
4. Conversion of the old passengers station;
5. Bus station reconstruction;
6. Rail span.
Area - 31 000 kv.m.
– 0,8 ha
Investments ~100 mln.LT
Area - 64 000 kv.m;
– 3,4 ha;
Investments ~350 mln.LT
CONVERSION OF THE MILITARY TECHNICS AND
TRANSPORT MUSEUM ( FORMER MILITARY BASE)
• Territory in Olandų str. 21 belongs to army since XVIII century;
• Ministry of Defense considers to waive the right to the existing Military museum;
• Municipality proposed to implement conversion into Musical Arts Cluster – to unite the potential of existing art schools and academies and establish new music buildings infrastructure.
CONVERSION POLITICS IN VILNIUS CITY
• During privatization Industrial complexes were split into small property units with a lot of owners, there are no agreement regarding development plans;
• Former industrial territories are contaminated – soil and buildings cleaning is becoming a heavy financial burden for the developer;
• No dialogue with local community during the process of conversion projects implementation, public interest limits are not defined.
• Municipality should actively promote and support conversion projects;
• In 2014-2020 EU support should be directed to conversion territories cleaning, renewal of public spaces and infrastructure there;
• Responsibility to assess professionally historical value of such objects and influence for the city identity;
• To continue the dialogue with business representatives regarding the land fee in conversion territories;