Strategies for Taking
Go to bed on time
Put a few number 2 pencils with erasers in your backpack.
Solve family/friend problems before the testing date.
Talk to your parents about any concerns that you might have about the test.
• Start your day as you always do.
• Eat a good breakfast.
• Think of what you will do to relax after you get home from school.
• Think Positively!
“Jail” the Detail!
• Highlight, underline, or circle the details in the questions. This helps you focus on exactly what the question is asking you to do.
Be Slick and Predict!
• Predict what the answer is
BEFORE you read the choices.
“I think the answer is …”
Slash the Trash!
• Read ALL of the answer choices!
Eliminate any choice(s) that you know are not the correct answer and
• After you have been through all of the questions once, go back and find questions you have some knowledge about and eliminate choices that you know are incorrect.
isn’t the answer!
• If you can eliminate two wrong answers, your chance of choosing the right answer is greater.
Plug it in, Plug it in!
• Once you have chosen your answer, plug it in and make sure that it makes sense! (This works really well with vocabulary questions.)
Be Smart With Charts & Zap the Maps!
• Charts and Maps provide information that you can use to answer questions!
information provided before answering the questions!
Extra! Extra! Read All About
• If the directions say read…. READ! Pay close attention to signal words in the directions, such as
Be a Whiz…with the Grid!
• Beware! If the answer is not bubbled in exactly right… YIKES! It will be wrong!
• Make sure that all stray marks are completely erased from the answer sheet.
Keep On Keeping On!
• If you get to a couple of questions that you just don’t know, don’t give up! Keep trying your best!
• If you did not mark that as a sure answer question, go back at the end.
If you SNOOZE, you LOSE!
• Don’t leave a question unanswered. You will not have ANY chance of getting it right
• You are not penalized for guessing.
Check It Out!
• When you have completed the test, go back and check your work!
• Use all the time. It was given for a reason.
(practice test and item
• TCAP Coach book
• Test Preparation pages in the textbook
• Journey Across Time workbook
• Practice test booklet
• Using PowerPoint games
• Flash cards (created by the students)
• Pass-It-On activity
• I have…, Who has….
• Concept Maps