• Explain what this assignment is and describe its purpose and usefulness to you in the future.
Historical Context of To Kill a Mockingbird
• This novel is set in 1930s Alabama. Detail here what events in American history are significant to that region of the country at that time.
– Hint: SpringBoard Book (page 192)
Cultural Context of To Kill a Mockingbird
• Describe the lifestyle of the 1930s American
Social Context of To Kill a Mockingbird
• Describe the social rules of the American
South during the 1930s.
– Who could speak with whom?
– Who could not socialize together?
– Who had money? Who didn’t? Why?
Geographical Context of To Kill a Mockingbird
• Describe the setting of Alabama.
– Is it flat or mountainous?
– Urban or rural?
– What is its weather like?
Spotlight: [Person, Group, or Event – one per group member]
• Provide a snapshot of your spotlighted person, group, or event.
– Give basic details and information
• Detail your spotlight’s contribution to the Civil
• Explain how your spotlight’s effect(s) on the
Civil Rights Movement
– Four-sentence annotation (two sentences summarizing, one sentence describing the source’s usefulness, and one sentence describing where the source comes from and what type of source it is.)