F-1 Optional Practicial Training (OPT) Powerpoint Presentation

Work Authorization:
-Intended to provide work experience in the U.S.
in a field related to your major
-May be eligible for a maximum of 12 months–
-May be eligible 1 time per education level for OPT
-May apply for “pre”- “post” or “stem extension”
practical training or Curricular Practical Training
-May apply for ‘economic hardship’-strict
circumstances only
Terms you should know:
• EAD = Employment Authorization Document
• DSO = Designated School Official
• USCIS = United States Citizenship &
Immigration Service
• DHS = Department of Homeland Security
• OPT = Optional Practical Training
• CPT = Curricular Practical Training
• CBP = Customs and Border Protection
• STEM = Science Technology, Engineering &
Eligibility for Authorization:
Be physically present in the U.S.
Be a registered student in good status
Be full-time for at least one full academic year
PostComPracTrain-Have completed all the
requirements for the award of your degree at
the time OPT begins
• Not have used 12 months of full-time CPT to be
eligible for OPT
Steps needed for Employment
1. An OPT recommendation on a new SEVIS I-20
from your DSO— Must have verification from department advisor
that degree requirements will be met on certain date
2. Mail in your application, I-765 and all
supporting documents for the EAD to USCIS
3. Receive the EAD in the mail. Work only after
you receive the EAD and no earlier than the
start date on it.
Curricular Practical Training
• Must be an integral part of your curriculum
• Is authorized by DSO in conjunction with
verification from Department Head
• No government cost but you must pay for the
• Can be up to 12 months
• Generally credit bearing
Curricular Practical Training
Name of student
Course name & number, if any
How is this work experience related to the major?
Student’s phone number
No. of hours granted for internship:
Beginning date_________________________End date___________________________
I verify that an internship is an integral part of this student’s established curriculum, and that the anticipated employment
satisfies the requirements for the internship. If the student is in the first year of graduate school, I verify that this
internship/employment is a required part of the established curriculum.
Pre-completion OPT
• New SEVIS I-20 recommending OPT –dates
Submission of all I-20’s
I-765 coded “C” “3” “A”
Copy of visa
Copy of passport
Fee to DHS for $380.
Copy of I-94
When to apply for Post Completion
• Applications can be received no sooner than
90 days prior to your date all your course
requirements are met—this may not be your
graduation date ( not the day the degree is
• Application must be received by USCIS before
end of the 60 day grace period
**5 month window to apply**
What is needed to apply?
• Photocopy of new SEVIS I-20 recommending
• Photocopies of all previous SEVIS I-20’s
• Photocopy of current I-94 card-front & back or
print out of the I-94
Photocopy of passport ID page and visa
Completed I-765 form in blue ink
2 passport picturesCheck to Department of Homeland Security for
$380 –
SEVIS # lightly printed on back
SEVIS # on check
Completing the I-765
• Print neatly with your name matching the
name in your passport
• Use blue ink
• Current address in Virginia-EAD will not be
• Use the correct code on # 16
• Carefully sign your name within the 2 lines
C 3 A Used for pre-completion
C 3 B Used for post-completion
C 3 C Stem Extension
Mailing the application
• Our office will copy all documents that are sent to
• Send your documents by certified mail or by a
courier service such as UPS or Fed/Ex
• USCIS Dallas Lockbox
PO Box 660867
Dallas, TX
Attn: AOS I-765
2501 S. State Hwy.
121 Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067
When can I start my OPT?
• Post-completion OPT must start within 60
days of the end date of your academic career.
• Possibly think of time needed to look for a job,
& relocate to help determine your start date?
• Employment cannot start until the date on
your EAD. (When to start??)
Can I travel outside the U.S.?
• Prior to receiving your EAD it is not advisable
to travel outside the U.S.
• After receiving your EAD, for successful
reentry into the U.S. you would need:
1. a signed I-20,
2. valid passport,
3. valid visa, (not guaranteed renewal)
4. valid EAD,
5. documentation of employment
What if I can’t find a job????
• USCIS allows for a cumulative total of 90 days
of unemployment
• Notify your DSO as soon as you find
employment. This information must be
entered into SEVIS.
• If no employment is found, a volunteer job in
your field for at least 20 hours/week can be
entered into SEVIS and not counted as days of
Remember to:
• Inform the DSO of any address change while
on OPT
• Inform the DSO of employment information as
soon as possible including volunteer work.
• No more than 90 day of unemployment
• If leaving the U.S. permanently, inform the
• Must update the DSO every 6 months
Good luck in finding your new
• Enjoy your employment
• Enjoy your hard-earned $$
• Stay in touch with your DSO!