Your Irvington Transcript - Fremont Unified School District

Updated: 02/2014
 A-F:
Ms. Velazco
 G-L:
Ms. Bennett
 M-R:
Ms. Mintey
 S-Z:
Ms. Serrano
Visit the Counselor’s Corner and the College and Career Center
online for answers to many frequently asked questions…
Naviance helps with college and career planning. College/major search,
career surveys, matching capabilities, etc.
Scroll down to find the Naviance info page.
Free access to -SAT/ACT/PSAT/AP/DMV/CAHSEE exam prep including
practice tests and drills -Essay lab to help students write essays (including
college entrance) -Study guides for many subjects
To sign up:
magic word: ELUANT
Don’t forget to register on School Loop!
School Loop helps
you stay on track.
Make sure everything is correct.
Review all classes and grades
Classes cannot be repeated for credit per district policy (You cannot receive
credit if you take Spanish 1 twice and have passed both times). An “NA” will
eventually show up on your transcript for the repeated class.
Work in progress
Overall GPA: All classes
listed on your transcript. It
is not weighted.
Cal Grant GPA: a-g
classes from 10th and 11th
grade. It is not weighted.
Should say .00 because
there are not grades from
10th yet. Used to
determine eligibility for
financial aid in 12th
No rank listed.
Irvington does not
Calculating your GPA
Grades are assigned point values:
A = 4 points
B = 3 points
C= 2 points
NC= 0 points
*”I” grades are temporary and are not factored into the GPA.
•Overall GPA (non-weighted): Add all semester grades on your
transcript together. Divide the total by the number of semester courses.
•UC/CSU GPA: Use only grades received in “a-g” classes from 10th and 11th
grade. Add an extra point for each semester AP course or transferable
college course ( with a maximum of 8 extra points.
Honors classes do not receive an extra point.
•Weighted GPA: individual private universities vary in the way they
calculate weighted GPA for admissions.
GPA Calculator:
Credit Summary for Graduation
Credits Required
Credit Summary
Credits Completed
Credits Deficient
Credits at Irvington
•Students earn 5 credits per semester class.
•Most students take 6 classes per semester.
•5 credits per class X 6 classes = 30 credits
per semester / 60 credits per year
•60 credits per year X 4 years = 240 credits
•230 credits are required to
•Semester grades are the only grades listed on the
Graduation and CSU/UC a-g
• Business/Comp: Not required at
Irvington, instead you are required to
have 75 elective credits
• English: 40 credits required. You
should have 5 at the beginning of
second semester. Area “b”
• Fine Art/ World Language:
• Math: 30 credits required
including BOTH semesters of
Algebra 1 (Okay if completed in 7th
or 8th grade). You should have 5 at
the beginning of second semester.
CSU/UC: At least Geometry and
Algebra 2. Geometry taken in 7th
or 8th grade counts. Area “c”
You need 10 credits of a Fine Art
OR World Language to
graduate. You should have 5 at
the beginning of second
semester. CSU/UC: A yearlong
Art class (Area “f”) AND at least
level 2 of a language (Area “e”)
are needed.
• Health: 5 credits required. You
should have 5 by the end of 9th
Graduation and CSU/UC
Requirements continued
• PE: 20 credits required. You
should have 5 at the beginning of
second semester.
• Science: 20 credits required. You
should have 5 at the beginning of
second semester. CSU/UC: Prefer
Biology and
Chemistry/Biotechnology Area “d”
• Social Studies: 30 credits
required. You should have 0 at the
beginning of second semester.
Area “a”
Electives: 75 credits required.
Any class taken after a subject
requirement is met is counted as
an elective (Ex: Your 3rd year of
science counts as an elective).
Area “g”
You should have
credits at
the beginning of second
semester to be on track.
Know Irvington’s a-g list
Every class at Irvington that fulfills
an a-g subject requirement for
CSU and UC admission can be
found on this list.
Credit Recovery
Contracts: Students that earn an “I” in a class should talk with their
teacher about receiving and completing a contract to earn 5
credits. If you do not complete a contract, the grade changes to an
Add a 0 period (PE or American Sign Language)
Add a 7th period (Stagecraft)
Summer School: Students can make-up 10 credits in summer school.
It is the student’s responsibility to register for summer school. Students
can obtain a registration form from their counselor usually in late
See your counselor ASAP if you need to make-up credits.
What Happens if you don’t Pass
your Classes?
Student failed 35
credits in 9th grade
and 40 credits in 10th
To graduate, he spent 594
hours in Adult School classes
during 11th and 12th grade
and 360 hours in summer school.
12th graders
More Graduation Requirements
11th Graders transcript.
Need to Pass BOTH
portions of the High
School Exit Exam
(CAHSEE). A “P” will
show on your
transcript once you
have passed.
 Need 40 hours of
community service
Service Hours
Everything is now online. Go to to get
Graduation Reqs
What are the main differences?
Algebra 1 + 20 more
credits of math
Fine Art OR World Language
Algebra 1, Geometry, and
Algebra 2 (minimum)
Fine Art AND World Language
(Digital Drawing, Arts Spectrum,
Social Dance and Culinary Arts
are NOT fine art classes)
Why go to
On average, a person that has a Bachelor’s Degree makes about
$1,000,000 more during their lifetime than a person with just a
high school diploma!
California College Systems
Types of Colleges
California State
Universities (CSU)
University of
California (UC)
133: Ohlone, De
Anza, Chabot, Las
Positas, San Jose
City, Evergreen,
Foothill, etc.
23 CSUs: East Bay,
San Jose State, San
Francisco, Monterey
Bay, Sonoma, Los
Angeles, etc.
10 UCs: Berkeley,
Davis, San Francisco,
Irvine, Santa Barbara,
Los Angeles, Merced,
Santa Cruz, San
Diego, Riverside
76 members:
Stanford, University
of Santa Clara,
University of San
Francisco, Mills
College, University
of the Pacific, etc.
Note: UC San Francisco
is a medical center and
currently is not providing
bachelor degrees.
Nature of
Two-Year Schools
1. Complete courses
for the first 2
years of a
bachelor’s degree
transferable to UC
and CSU
2. Vocational
3. Enrichment and
job skills classes
Four-Year Schools
with Graduate
1. Various majors
and programs
2. Bachelor’s
3. Master’s degrees
4. Teaching
Four-Year Schools
with Graduate
1. Various majors
and programs
2. Bachelor’s
3. Master’s degrees
4. Doctorate and
Two and Four-Year
Schools, some with
Graduate Programs
Various majors and
academic programs
are offered at each
campus. Check
college websites or
California College Systems Continued
Types of Colleges
California State
Universities (CSU)
University of
California (UC)
No subject
requirements. Must
be a high school
graduate or 18 years
of age.
See slide on a-g
See slide on a-g
Requirements vary
by school. Check
college websites or
Some programs have
requirements. Check
college websites or
Math and English
assessment tests are
required for new
students in order to
be placed at the
correct skill level.
These tests are not used
to exclude students. Tests
are given after an
application is submitted,
usually followed by an
orientation, counseling,
and enrollment into
ACT (writing section
not required)
ACT plus writing
SAT Reasoning Test
SAT Reasoning Test
ELM- Entry Level
Math Test
EPT- English
Placement Test (These
tests are not used for
admission purposes)
Recommended: Certain
SAT Subject tests are
recommended for certain
majors. Check with
interested colleges for
specific information.
Some schools may
require the SAT
Reasoning Test or
ACT plus writing
and/or SAT Subject
Tests. Check college
websites or
catalogues for
specific test
•SAT Reasoning Test:
•PSAT: Standardized test that provides firsthand
practice for the SAT. It also gives 11th graders a
chance to enter NMSC scholarship programs and
gain access to college and career planning tools.
•The PSAT is offered every October. It is reserved
for 11th graders. 10th graders can participate if
space allows.
Visit the College and Career Center’s webpage on for
information on the PSAT and test prep options.
Community Colleges
• 112 campuses located throughout California (Ohlone,
DeAnza, Chabot and Mission College are the closest to
• Total enrollment: 2.4 million students
• Requirements: 18 years old or have a high school
• Types of programs:
1.Complete 60 units (2 years on average) for an
AA/AS degree which can transfer to a 4 year
university (transfer to a 4 year university as a junior)
• 40% of UC graduates transfer from a community
2.Vocational programs (nursing, pharmacy tech, massage
therapy, early childhood education, automotive technology,
Financial Aid
•Financial aid consists of funds provided to students and families
to help pay for college.
Types of Financial Aid:
•Grants: Free money that does not have to be paid back.
They are usually awarded based on financial need.
•Scholarships: Free money that does not have to be paid
back. Awarded based on merit, a special skill or interest, or
need. Check the College and Career Center’s webpage for more information.
•Loans: Money that parents and students borrow that does
have to be paid back.
•Students and Parents apply for financial aid by completing the Free
Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) during the student’s12th grade
Updated: 2/2014
Registration form is due to your English
teacher February 27th!
• Students will be meeting with their counselor individually to have their course
requests entered, and will have the opportunity to ask questions at that time.
• If there is a possibility you might not be at IHS next year, register for classes
anyway so you have a spot in the event you stay.
• Step 1: Choose a family. The classes you will be registered
for are listed in each box (must have teacher signature for
honors families).
• If you are applying to an academy, you have to complete an
application. Go to under the programs tab.
• Family Coordinators:
• SHAPE: Ms. Avina: [email protected]
• ITA: Mr. Albizo: [email protected]
• CCA: Ms. Friend: [email protected]
• NMAA: Ms. Burton [email protected]
• Step 2: Choose your classes.
• Math: ALL math courses require teacher approval (current
math teacher). See suggested math sequence sheet for
recommended course. Make sure you check the prerequisite
for the course (listed on Course Options Form). Students will not
be able to register for a course if they are missing a teacher
signature OR if they have not met the prerequisite. If you are
currently in Algebra 1 and earned a C or lower for semester one, you
should register for common core algebra.
• Science: See suggested science sequence sheet for
recommended course. Make sure you check the prerequisite
for the course (listed on Course Options Form). Students will not
be able to register for a course if they are missing a teacher
signature OR if they have not met the prerequisite. If you are in
Integrated Science or Human Biology, sign up for Biology.
• 10th grade students cannot take more than ONE math
course or ONE science course.
• World Language/Fine Art/ Electives:
Choose your electives thoughtfully based on meeting graduation
requirements and college admission requirements.
List classes in order of preference and make sure to list an alternate
elective. If you do not add an alternate elective and the class you want is
full, an elective will be chosen for you.
Make sure to have teachers sign for EVERY course that requires a teacher’s
signature or the course request will not be honored. Courses that need a
signature say “Teacher Rec” next to them on the Course Options Form.
All 10th grade students will be registered for PE 10 unless Marching Band, 0
period PE, or Social Dance (CCA students only) has been noted on your
registration form.
• 0 period PE has limited availability. Make sure your elective
choices are listed in order of preference in the event 0 period PE
cannot be accommodated.
• Course Prerequisites: course prerequisites are stated on the
Course Options form. Many classes require students to have a teacher
recommendation AND a certain 1st semester grade in their current class.
Students must have both. Having a teacher recommendation without the
grade requirement is not enough to enroll in the class.
AP Classes
EVERY STUDENT that is registering for ANY AP course must complete the
AP Registration Form and attach it to their registration packet. Extra copies
can be found online at under the “counselors” tab.
AP and Honors Classes
If you are registering for AP and honors classes:
Make sure you are prepared and have an interest in the subject.
Make sure you will have the time necessary to be successful in all of your
Remember to take into consideration clubs, extra-curricular
activities, job/volunteer work, etc.
AP and honors classes cannot be made up in summer school so
if you do poorly, you are stuck with the NC.
Understand that you will not have the opportunity to transfer to a college
prep course once the school year begins (even if you are failing the
course or are earning a “c” grade). The number of spaces in college prep
classes are based on student requests at the time of registration.
DO NOT take AP and honors classes just because your friends/peers are.
Everyone has different ability levels. Take the most challenging classes
that YOU can still do well in.
DO NOT take AP and honors classes just to impress colleges. GPA is still
the most important factor in college admissions. If you take 6 honors
classes but do not do well in them, it will not matter for college admissions
that you took them and will negatively impact your application.
New Classes/Changes:
• Algebra 2: NEW name for Intermediate Algebra. Students should
register for this class if they get a C or low B in Geometry (A-g
• Trigonometry: Prerequisite is Algebra 2 (A-g approved). If you are
currently in Intermediate Algebra and have an A or B, you should take
this class.
• Robotics: Learn to build and program robots. No prior experience
needed. Algebra 2 concurrently is the prerequisite. See Ms. Berbawy’s
website for more info (A-g approval pending “g”).
Additional Notes:
• Marching Band is Fall semester only (5 credits of PE).
• Jazz Ensemble is 0 period Spring semester only.
Counselors are available to STUDENTS during lunch and after school
during the registration weeks. They are not in their offices (in classes
doing registration) during class periods.
• Step Three: Proof of residency. Attach COPIES (you will
not get them back) of two forms of proof.
• Step Four: Parent and student signatures are required.
• Note that:
• Course requests cannot be guaranteed
• Students will not be able to drop classes
once the school year begins.
Add/drop process is changing for the 2014-2015 school
year. Students will NOT be able to drop courses once
the school year begins.
• Teacher recommendations can be revoked
based on 2nd semester performance.
• Your transcript MUST stay attached to this
Related flashcards
Create Flashcards