1. Which of the following is a. motivating change b. creating a vision not c. developing political support d. diagnosis e. managing the transition
3. Which of the following is change? one of the five activities of change management?
2. People resist change because: a. they can’t see the benefits b. they don’t see the need c. they don’t expect success d. A and B e. all of the above not considered a strategy for dealing with resistance to a. make change information available and salient b. include members directly in planning and implementing change c. practice active listening d. avoid conflict
4. The vision process involves: a. describing the organization’s core ideology b. looking at desired performance and human outcomes c. a vivid description of the future state d. A and B e. all of the above
5. The organization’s identity can best be described as _________________. a. its core values and purpose b. beliefs that have been relatively stable over time
c. a strategic guideline d. A and B
6. Which of the following is a source of power? a. formal position b. knowledge c. personality d. A and C e. A, B, and C
7. Developing political support ___________. a. is the same as addressing power issues b. is unrelated to the goals of the change c. involves identifying key stakeholders d. A and C e. all of the above
8. Which power strategy is most closely aligned with OD’s traditional humanistic values? a. playing it straight b. avoiding confrontation c. using social networks d. going around the formal system e. none of the above
9. Activity planning involves: a. making a road map of key activities b. identifying key people c. creating special structures d. creating new change strategies e. all of the above
10. Activity planning and commitment planning are key activities in a. managing a transition b. creating a vision c. entry and contracting d. diagnosis
11. To sustain momentum a change agent must:
a. provide resources for change b. builds support systems c. develop new competencies and skills in the organization d. reinforce new behaviors e. all of the above
12. Research supports that leaders accelerate transitions with which of the following practices? a.
support continuous discussion of the organization change among members b.
create shared meaning c.
help individuals understand how each person fits into the change d.
allow organizational units in the lower organization levels to be responsible for implementing change e.
All of the above
13. Individual motivation and commitment are relatively unimportant when managing change.
14. Understanding how people experience change requires the change agent to have great capacity for empathy and support.
15. A vision is driven by people’s values and preferences.
16. Politics has no place in a change process.
17. OD consultants can use power constructively in organizations.
18. Why do most change efforts fail?
19. Describe the key elements of an effective change management program.
20. If you were developing a change program, how would you create readiness for change?
21. What political activities might be engaged in to successfully implement change?