Payroll &Retirement Services : Vital Payroll Information _______________________________________________________________________

Payroll &Retirement Services x 2252
January 11, 2012
All Employees - Please post to share with others in your area without VVC email access
SUBJECT: Vital Payroll Information –W2,W4,ESS,EITC
Form W-4 withholding certificate No need to submit a new W-4 unless you are making changes or wish to file EXEMPT
Previously-filed 2011 EXEMPT W-4s expire February 15, 2012.
Check your latest (thru 1/9/12) paystub - if you see M-99 and/or S-99 exemptions, this means you have been claiming
exempt from federal and/or state income tax withholding. Depending on certain criteria, exempt status will END unless a
new W-4 form is received in the payroll office by February 15 – your wages will be subject to tax withholding on the next
payroll as if you are single with zero exemptions (there are few exceptions to this rule - review W-4 form for info or consult
your tax advisor or the IRS). or stop by the Payroll Services office.
Form W-2
W-2s are mailed by a 3rd party distributor to the last known address during the last week in January, no later than January
31. Address changes should have been submitted by the 1st week in January to affect proper mailing. In addition, once
posted, you may access a copy of your W-2 by logging in to BESTNET (see below). Watch for an email update later this
Employee Self-Service - BEST NET and your ONLINE pay stubs and W-2
o You can easily access your pay stubs and W-2s online thru the faculty-staff/payroll section of VVC’s web site.
o IMPORTANT- Your 2011 W-2 may post to the site before you receive it in the mail. Again, watch for an email notice
on the W-2 posting.
o If accessing the self-service secure BEST NET site for the first time or if it has been some time since you
logged in or have forgotten your login information, you will need your latest pay stub information to register.
o Click on or paste into your web browser,
Earned Income Tax Credit NOTICE – see below or click on
Federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) Notification
“Based on your annual earnings, you may be eligible to receive the earned income tax credit from the federal government.
The earned income tax credit is a refundable federal income tax credit for low-income working individuals and families. The
earned income tax credit has no effect on certain welfare benefits. In most cases, earned income tax credit payments will
not be used to determine eligibility for Medicaid, supplemental security income, food stamps, low-income housing or most
temporary assistance for needy families payments. Even if you do not owe federal taxes, you must file a tax return to
receive the earned income tax credit. Be sure to fill out the earned income tax credit form in the federal income tax return
booklet. For information regarding your eligibility to receive the earned income tax credit, including information on how to
obtain the IRS Notice 797 or any other necessary forms and instructions, contact the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800829-3676 or through its Web site at”
Signed Raina Bustillos
Raina Bustillos, Payroll Manager