What is an Independent Student?

What is an Independent Student?
A student can be classed as ‘Independent’ for means testing purposes if they can
demonstrate they meet one or more of the following:
They have supported themselves from their own earnings1 for an aggregate
of 36 months before the start of the first academic year2 of the course or they
would meet this condition if any periods of the following were included;
o (i) participating in arrangements for training for the unemployed under
any scheme operated, sponsored or funded by a state authority;
o (ii) in receipt of benefits payable by a state authority in respect of a
person who is unemployed but available for work;
o (iii) available for employment and had complied with any requirement
imposed by a state authority as a condition of receiving benefits or
o (iv) in receipt of a State Studentship or similar award;
o (v) in receipt of any pension, allowance or other benefit paid by
reason of a disability to which the student is subject, or by reason of
maternity, injury or sickness, paid by any person;
o was responsible for the care of a person under the age of 18 who was
dependent on the student such that the student could not reasonably
have been expected to support himself out of his earnings (applicable
to students whose course commenced before 31 August 2007)
married or in a civil partnership at the start of an academic year; or
He has no parent living; or
is irreconcilably estranged from his or her parents; or
has satisfied the BSA that his or her parents cannot be found or that it is not
reasonably practicable to get in touch with them; or
Earnings’ cannot include Student Finance England (or equivalent) student loans and grants or any
other form of mandatory award
Academic year periods commence on 1st January, 1st April, 1st July and 1st September in each
is a care-leaver; or
is a member of a religious order who lives in a house of his or her order; or
is a student whose parents are residing outside the EU in circumstances
where the assessment of a parental contribution would put them in jeopardy
or that it would not be reasonably practicable for them to send any such
contribution to the UK; or
is attending a course which started before 1 September 2007 and is over
the age of 25 before the academic year concerned; or
Had the care of a dependent child or children (under 18 years of age) on the
first day of the academic year for which an application is being made and
your course commenced on or after 1 September 2007