An Exchange Visitor is a temporary alien who comes to the United States to teach, study, conduct research or
receive training as a participant in an Exchange Visitor Program designated by the Office of Exchange
Coordination and Designation, U.S. Department of State, SA-44, Room 734, Washington, DC 20547 (email:
[email protected]). When accepted as a participant, the Exchange Visitor will be issued Form DS-2019
(Certificate of Eligibility) by the International Office in the Department of Human Resources.
The visa is issued and stamped in your passport by an American consul outside the United States. The visa
authorizes you to enter -- but not to remain in -- the United States, and indicates your designated status, e.g., J-1 or
J-2. The visa has an expiration date and may be valid for one, two, or an unlimited number of (multiple) entries. It
is neither necessary nor possible to renew your visa while you remain in the United States. If you travel abroad, you
must apply for a new visa at an American embassy or consulate outside the United States if your current visa has
expired. The duration of a visa stamp has no bearing on one's authorization to remain in the United States.
Permission to remain is designated on your DS-2019.
J-1 Student Intern
The University of Connecticut Health Center, through the Department of Human Resources, is authorized by the
U.S. Department of State (DOS) to sponsor student interns under its J-1 Exchange Visitor program. The J student
intern is a foreign national enrolled and pursuing a degree at an accredited post secondary institution outside the U.
S. and participating in an internship program in the U. S. that will fulfill the educational objective of his/her current
degree program at his/her home institution. Participants may be engaged in an internship program up to a
maximum period of 12 months of degree or major. (Please note, there is no further extension beyond 12 months
from the program date on the DS-2019)
Arrival/Departure Record
The Arrival/Departure Record (Form I-94) is the stamp in your passport issued to all non-immigrants by a U.S.
immigration official at the port of entry to this country. This stamp does not give status, but is important in that it
indicates that legal admission to the United States has been granted for D/S (duration of status). You must go to
www.cbp.gov/I94 to submit your information and print out your I-94. (see information enclosed) If the I-94 has a
date, rather than a D/S, written on the front or stamped on the back, this is the date to which you have permission to
remain in the United States. If you wish to stay beyond this date, you must apply for an extension of stay and you
must contact the International Office in the Department of Human Resources to determine your eligibility for an
extension and the procedure for obtaining it.
J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa Info.
The I-94 must be kept with your passport at all times. When you leave the United States for any purpose other than
a visit to Canada, Mexico or an adjacent island for a period less than 30 days, your I-94 will be cancelled. A new I94 will be issued to you when you return if you have a valid DS-2019.
A valid DS-2019 gives you a J-1 visa status and allows you to fulfill your objective in coming to the Health Center
between the dates listed in number 3 on the form. If you wish to stay beyond this date, you must apply for an
extension of stay. At least 60 days before this date, you must contact the International Office in the Department
of Human Resources to determine your eligibility for an extension and the procedure for obtaining it.
Mandatory Medical Insurance
Federal regulations, effective September 1, 1994, require all exchange visitors and their J-2 dependents to have
medical insurance in effect for the entire period of participation in our program. Minimum coverage is:
1. Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness;
2. Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500;
3. Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange
visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $10,000; and
4. A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
An insurance policy is necessary to fulfill the requirements of this section and must be underwritten by an
insurance corporation having an A.M. Best rating of "A-" or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI)
rating of "A-i" or above, a Standard & Poor's Claims-paying Ability rating of "A-" or above, a Weiss Research, Inc.
rating of B+ or above, or such other rating service as the Agency may from time to time specify; or insurance
coverage backed by the full faith and credit of the exchange visitor's home government.
An exchange visitor who willfully fails to maintain the insurance coverage for the duration of participation in our
program or who makes a material misrepresentation to us concerning such coverage on behalf of him/her and/or
dependent spouse/children shall be determined in violation and subject to termination of program.
For your convenience, we list some websites of medical insurance companies who offer policies to cover
J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa Info.
Two-Year Foreign Residency Requirement
An exchange visitor is not eligible to apply for a change of status, immigrant status or non-immigrant H-1 until
he/she has been physically established in his/her country for an aggregate of two years following his/her last
departure from the U.S. if he/she has:
Received direct or indirect financial support from the United States Government or his/her
country government;
Come from a country “in need of the skills acquired by its national in the U.S." as determined
by the U.S. International Communication Agency and published in the Exchange
Visitor Skills List, March 17, 1997; or
Received medical training.
If an exchange visitor is subject to this requirement under Section 212(e), a preliminary notation may appear on the
DS-2019 Form and on the J-1 visa page in your passport.
Student employment is permitted only if it is an integral part of the program for which the exchange visitor came to
the U.S. (such as financial support received as a Visiting Instructor or Research Fellow), or is in the student's field
of study and will not unduly delay his/her degree (such as a graduate assistantship). Permission for all employment
must be obtained from the International Office in the Department of Human Resources. For more specific
instructions on student or scholar employment, contact the International Office at (860) 679-4430.
Social Security
The United States, like many other countries, imposes a payroll tax on current employees to pay for pensions and
certain medical benefits of the current population needing assistance. Most wages are subject to a tax and no
exemptions or deductions are allowed. The tax is popularly known as the "social security tax", but its technical
name is the Federal Insurance Contributions Act tax, abbreviated F.I.C.A. on the Form W-2 provided by employers.
The employer is required to pay a matching amount to the government.
Visiting faculty and students who are in the United States on "F" or "J" visas and whose income is earned to further
the objectives for which they were admitted may not have F.I.C.A. taxes withheld from their pay unless they have
been in the U.S. for two years for research scholar/faculty and five years for students. Family members authorized
to work in the U.S. are not exempt from social security tax.
J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa Info.
Social Security Number/Card
International exchange visitors at the University may be issued a number for identification purposes only. This is
not a Social Security number and may not be used outside the University. Everyone who has earnings in the United
States must obtain a social security number, the number used by the U.S. government to identify wage earners for
tax purposes. The number is printed on a card, referred to as the social security card. This card must be shown to a
prospective employer before an individual may be hired. The social security number has also been a standard
means of identification for anyone living in the U.S. Social security numbers are needed to obtain a driver's license,
open bank accounts, employment and other instances which call for an identifying number. Those who need a
Social Security number must apply in person with their passport, the I-94, form DS-2019, a letter of Employment
Verification and a letter of Visa Status Verification to an office of the Social Security Admin. The two locations
close to the Health Center are:
Social Security Administration
2nd Floor
960 Main St.
Hartford, CT 06103
Telephone: 860-493-1857
Social Security Administration
100 Arch St.
New Britain, CT 06051
Telephone: 860-229-4844
Extension of Stay
The Exchange Visitor may apply for an extension of stay two or three months prior to the expiration date of his/her
stay by contacting the International Office. Degree students will be permitted to remain as long as they pursue
substantial scholastic programs leading to recognized degrees or certificates as defined by the program description.
Non-degree students are limited to twenty-four months. The maximum period of stay for professors, research
scholars and specialists is five years.
RESEARCH SCHOLARS or PROFESSORS: If you have been physically present in the U.S. as an exchange visitor
(J-1 or J-2) within the 24 month-period preceding the date listed in #3 of the enclosed DS-2019 you are NOT
ELIGIBLE to enter the U.S. as an exchange visitor and must communicate this fact immediately to our office.
Visits to Canada, Mexico and Adjacent Islands (Contiguous Territory)
For a visit of less than 30 days to Canada, Mexico or the islands adjacent to North America (except Cuba), your I-94
is not surrendered but used, together with a valid DS-2019 for re-entry into the United States. An expired J-1 Visa
will be considered automatically revalidated upon re-entry from Canada or Mexico if the Visitor:
Has maintained and intends to resume the J-1 status;
Present valid form DS-2019;
Has a valid passport;
Is applying for re-admission within the authorized period of initial admission
or extension of stay (as marked on the DS-2019).
For additional information pertaining to travel outside of the United States, please see our website:
If sufficient financial support is documented, spouse and/or children may accompany the Visitor on the basis of
an additional form attached to the Form DS-2019 issued to the J-1 Visitor. Dependents are classified as J-2. The
Department of Human Resources must certify that sufficient funds are available to support the spouse and/or
children for their first year in the U.S.
J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa Info.
Employment of the dependent is permitted only if the Department of Homeland Security approves his/her
application to work, and if the work is necessary for the support of the dependent only. Immigration form to request
permission for employment authorization can be obtained from the International Office or downloaded from
Department of Homeland Security’s website (http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/index.htm). J-2 dependents
may enroll as students for full or part-time study without the approval of the International Office.
Academic Training
After obtaining a degree, an Exchange Visitor student may need a period of practical work experience in the field
of study. Upon recommendation of the faculty advisor and with the approval of the program sponsor, such training
may be granted for a maximum period of 18 to 36 months depending upon the program. The visitor should consult
with Ms. Duggal in the Department of Human Resources concerning eligibility and application procedures.
The International Office requires you to complete a Notice of Departure form three weeks prior to final departure
from the Health Center. Please call the International Office at the Department of Human Resources and the form
will be sent to you. An international visitor notifies the Department of Homeland Security of his departure from the
U.S. by surrendering his I-94 at the point of departure.
Income Tax Information
Foreign students and faculty who are studying, teaching or engaged in research activities and earning money in the
United States may be subject to federal and state income tax and to Federal Social Security Tax (F.I.C.A.)* on
wages earned by themselves or their family members. U.S. tax treatment of foreign students, faculty and their
families depends chiefly on their status and the types of income which they receive. In some circumstances, country
of origin may also play a part if a tax treaty exists. Use of a tax treaty exemption is for one time only per person. If
you had
been in the U.S. previously and used tax treaty benefits you can not use them again. It is important to remember
that each person's tax liability is unique and should be analyzed individually by an agent of the Internal Revenue
Service (IRS), an accountant, or a tax attorney. Only a small number of tax attorneys or specialists, however, are
familiar with the tax problems peculiar to aliens and there will be fees for advice and assistance. The IRS is located
at 135 High Street in Hartford, phone 1-800-424-1040.
*See Social Security section.
Filing Returns and Obtaining Refunds
All non-immigrants must file an income tax return annually even if there was no U.S. income received. The
return may be filed any time after receipt of W-2 form, or between January 1 and April 15.
The United States Federal Government and the State of Connecticut, require employers to withhold tax on wages
earned by employees. The amounts withheld may exceed the amount of tax due, especially for persons working
only a portion of the year.
In order to obtain a refund, use the W-2 form obtained from the employer which states the amount of tax withheld
during the year. A copy of this form is submitted with the federal and state tax returns. If the amount withheld
exceeds the tax liability, the IRS and/or the state will send a check for the balance to the address listed on the form
submitted. Tax returns will be subject to mathematical verification by an IRS and/or State computer. If the
deductions or exemptions claimed appear irregular, the return may be selected for an audit by IRS Review Agents.
A person filing a false or fraudulent return is subject to fines and in severe cases, to criminal prosecution. An alien
J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa Info.
filing a false return may lose his status and be precluded from returning to the U.S.
Income tax return forms and instruction bulletins may be available from the following website:
Internal Revenue Service website:
CT Department of Revenue website:
IRS Publications pertaining to nonresident Aliens:
Publication 519, “US Tax Guide for Aliens:
Publication 901, “US Tax Treaties”
Publication 17, “Your Federal Income Tax”
Additional Information
The International Office has a legal obligation to the Office of Exchange Coordination and Designation, U.S.
Department of State to report your continued attendance at this University. If for any reason you perform your
objective less than full time, leave the University (withdraw, transfer, etc.) or apply for a change in visa status,
it is your responsibility to notify the International Office in the Department of Human Resources of your plans
before any attempt to change.
You must inform the Department of Homeland Security and the International Office of any change in your address
or telephone number, or of any change in registration form information. Whenever you have immigration questions
concerning your stay in the U.S., please feel free to consult with the international Office at (860) 679-4430. When
you change your address, you also need to file an address change form (AR 11) with the Department of Homeland
Security which can be downloaded from the following website:
Because of long delays encountered in cashing foreign checks, an international credit card or U.S. travelers checks
can be obtained prior to arrival in the U.S. A credit card, in addition to making purchases, is valuable as a credit
reference when renting housing and opening a bank account. Another way of ensuring sufficient cash in the critical
first few months of transition is to transfer funds to a U.S. bank prior to arrival.
If children will accompany you to the U.S., or will join you at a later date, it is necessary to have their academic and
immunization records. These records are required by the educational system to show achievement and proper
inoculation for all children entering the school system.
Since your International Driver's License is only valid for 60 days after your arrival in the U.S., it is necessary to
obtain a Connecticut Driver's License if you intend to drive an automobile. For more information on obtaining a
Connecticut driver’s license, please visit the State of Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles’ website:
If you are to receive payment from the University, a period of four weeks may elapse before you receive your first
check. This is usual procedure, over which we have no control, for all State employees. You must make financial
provision for yourself during this interim period.
J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa Info.
Finding a place to live can sometimes be a difficult and time consuming experience. The Graduate Students’
organization at UCHC has very helpful information on its website. Please check it out at:
Transportation from the Airports
If you are arriving at either LaGuardia or JFK International Airports in New York, Connecticut Limo will be
able to provide you with shuttle service. Please keep in mind that you will need to make reservations at least 24
hours in advance with the shuttle company. You can make reservations at this website, http://www.ctlimo.com/.
If you prefer bus, the MegaBus, http://us.megabus.com/Default.aspx provides transportation between Hartford and
New York City. Buy your tickets online. In Hartford, the MegaBus picks up and drops off at the corner of Arch
St. and Constitution Way. In New York City, the Megabus picks up and drops off at the corner of 7th Avenue and
28th Street.
Also, Peterpan Bus Company – visit: www.peterpanbus.com. You can buy your ticket online. In Hartford, the
Peterpan bus picks up and drop off at Union Station, bus depot and train station (One Union Place, Hartford, CT
06103) In New York City, the Peterpan bus picks up and drops off at the Port Authority Bus Terminal (8th Avenue
and 42nd Street)
If you will be arriving at Logan International Airport in Boston, Ma, there are instructions on how to get to from
Logan Airport to Boston’s South Station in order to take a train to Hartford or New Haven. The information is
located at the following link: http://www.massport.com/logan/getti_typeo_south.html.
If you will be arriving at Bradley International Airport in Hartford, CT, transportation information is located at
these websites, http://www.bradleyairport.com/Transport/taxi.aspx or
Related flashcards

Posse schools

11 cards

Truman Scholars

29 cards

Create Flashcards