Steps to Study Abroad Department of Public and International Affairs, UNCW

Steps to Study Abroad
Department of Public and International Affairs, UNCW
Left: Kaitlin Beck and Jennifer Silon Johnson, France (2008); Center: Eddie Rubio, Ecuador (2009); Right: Lauren Prema, South Africa (2009)
So, you want to study abroad? We want you to study abroad, too.
Here’s a guide to make things a little easier.
1. Attend a study abroad information session sponsored by the Office of International Programs. These sessions
are held every week during the school year. For 2009-2010, the sessions are Tuesdays 3:30pm to 4:30pm,
Fridays 11:00am to 12:00pm in Westside 1003.
2. Find a short-term or longer-term program that suits you (search UNCW offerings here/ search the list of PLSrecommended programs here). Things to consider are cost, options for language immersion, availability of
English-language/Political Science course work, ability to study issues of politics and international relations that
interest you (Asian politics in Singapore, the European Union in Brussels, constitutional law in Britain, the Middle
East peace process in Israel, or development in South Africa).
3. Contact Dr. Paige Tan, Coordinator for Study Abroad, Department of Public and International Affairs, to discuss
your chosen program or options. Dr. Tan is in 257 Leutze Hall. She can be reached at [email protected] and 910962-3221. She is in most days between 9:00am and 3:00pm. (More on following page.)
Dr. Horan in Guatemala (2007)
Muslim boys in India (2009)
Dr. Masters’ group, Trim Castle, Ireland (2008)
4. Get an application for the study abroad program of your choice at the Office of International Programs,
Westside Hall 1003. Note that deadlines often come early in the Fall semester for Spring and early Spring for
Summer and Fall.
5. Yes, there is financial aid for study abroad! See or talk to the
Assistant Director of Study Abroad, Ms. Kara Pike, for more information. Contact Ms. Pike at [email protected]
or 962-3685. For graduate students, the Director of Study Abroad Mark Gallovic recommends Rotary
Scholarships or DAAD scholarships (the latter are just for study in Germany).
6. Find out what courses you may likely take abroad by looking at the online catalogue or other information source
for your program. Fill out the Transient Study Form and get your proposed PLS courses pre-approved by the
Chair of the Department (contact [email protected] for an appointment, bring a copy of your degree audit to
the meeting). If the courses you proposed change when you’re on the ground in your destination, you’ll have to
go through an approval process on your return, so bring an extra copy of the syllabus for each course home with
you. This will save you infinite difficulties.
7. Check on passport (UNCW passport office), visa, and medical precautions (on health, contact the New Hanover
Country Health Department travel clinic or your family doctor for more information).
8. Board your plane, boat, or whatever means of travel you choose to get to your program destination and change
your life forever!
Left: Emily Ball, Bangalore, India (2009): Right: Courtney Shaver and Kaitlin Beck; Moulin Rouge, Paris, France (2008)
For additional information contact:
Dr. Paige Tan, Coordinator, Study Abroad
Department of Public and International Affairs,
257 Leutze Hall, 910-962-3221, [email protected]