The surface ectoderm (or external ectoderm) forms the following structures:
* Skin (only epidermis; dermis is derived from mesoderm) (along with glands, hair, and nails)
* Epithelium of the mouth and nasal cavity salivary glands, and glands of mouth and nasal cavity
* Tooth enamel (as a side note, dentin and dental pulp are formed from ectomesenchyme which is derived from ectoderm (specifically neural crest cells and travels with mesenchmyal cells)
* Epithelium of anterior pituitary
* Lens, cornea, lacrimal gland, tarsal glands and the conjunctiva of the eye
* Apical ectodermal ridge inducing development of the limb buds of the embryo.
* Sensory receptors in epidermis