healthy_home_information_sheet

advertisement

Healthy Home Information Sheet

Radon (Silent Killer)

Radon is a cancer-causing radioactive gas. You cannot see, smell or taste radon, but it may be a problem in your home. The Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today. If you smoke and your home has high radon levels, you're may be at a higher risk for developing lung cancer. There are no immediate symptoms that will alert you to the presence of radon. It typically takes years of exposure before any problems surface.

What you can do

: Testing is the only way to know your home's radon levels. Follow recommendations for further testing and repairs.

Carbon Monoxide (Silent Killer)

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless gas that is produced when fuels from your fireplace, water heater, boiler or furnace burn incompletely, it can fill a home, and your lungs, without anyone taking notice.

Once exposed, symptoms include headaches, nausea, dizziness, fatigue, shortness of breath, unconsciousness and even death.

What you can do

: If you don’t already own a carbon monoxide detector, investing in one could save your life. If you need assistance obtaining one, there are resources available through the Rehoboth

Fire Department.

Lead

Lead is a naturally occurring element found in small amounts in the earth’s crust. While it has some beneficial uses, it can be toxic to humans and animals causing of health effects. (EPA) If your home was built before 1978, there is a good chance it has lead-based paint. In 1978, the federal government banned consumer uses of lead-containing paint, but some states banned it even earlier.

Lead from paint, including lead-contaminated dust, is one of the most common causes of lead poisoning.

What you can do:

Be sure to keep all paint in excellent shape and clean up dust frequently

Hidden Fire Hazards

According to the U.S. Fire Administration, every year, nearly 156,000 fires in the U.S. occur during the winter holiday season, claiming nearly 630 lives, and many are caused by accidents. Hidden fire hazards that many people are unaware of include: Worn out extension cords , unattended candles, cooking pots or indoor Christmas lights , cigarettes that are not put out completely, damaged cables , or Halogen torch

ére floor lamps

What you can do:

Assess for these hidden fire hazards and maintain properly working fire alarms within the house. If you need assistance with resources that are available contact the Rehoboth Fire

Department.

Biological Pollutants

Include molds, bacteria, viruses, pollen, animal dander and particles from dust mites and cockroaches. These may cause infections, provoke allergic symptoms or trigger asthma attacks.

What you can do:

Wash bedding at least weekly to kill dust mites. Keep animals out sleeping areas.

Control moisture that promotes mold growth. Maintain pest control.

Download