Agency-Directed Travel

Standard Operating
Guidelines and Support
Employee Self-Service (ESS) System
This online system allows staff to access the Leave,
Calendar and Hourly Timecard applications, as well as
requests for Agency-Directed Travel and Room
Additional features allow staff to view Job History and
License Status, along with copies of W-2 forms and
paycheck or direct deposit history.
From this online system staff can also update their
address and emergency contact info.
The link for this ESS system is
Please save this link in your favorites/bookmarks!
Calendars for returning staff should already be completed
New staff complete calendar at orientation
The online calendar link is available through the Employee Self
Service (ESS) System. The login for this system can be found at:
A tip sheet for completing the online calendar is available by
clicking on the blue question mark at top of the calendar page.
Employee completes calendar in consideration of:
District calendar(s)
Region Meeting Schedule
Agency needs/services
When calendar is approved by RA or supervisor, employee
receives an email and an online record is created
Employees may print a paper copy of the calendar if needed
A copy of the calendar is maintained in the personnel file
When it is necessary to change your employment
calendar to accommodate agency/school needs,
complete a calendar change request form using the online
calendar link
Calendar changes are to occur within the same work year
A non-work day may not be changed to a work day for the
purpose of taking leave
Change requires RA/supervisor approval. When
submitting change request, remember to include reason
for the change. The reason is to be updated with each
When change request is approved, employee receives an
email and an online record is created
Weekly schedules must be submitted and/or readily
available to the supervisor and secretary. Schedules
need to be current and accurate and are to include work
When it’s necessary to work on a non-work day for a
direct client need, it’s important staff request a calendar
change (to a half day or full day) or email both the
supervisor and secretary of the need to work before the
work occurs. This helps ensure staff are covered under
Agency insurance and are eligible for reimbursement of
business expenses that may be incurred during that time.
Notify secretary of “out of assignment” events in case of
Voice mail should also reflect changes of schedule**
Voice mail guidelines
Phone and voice mail basics available online at
Checking voice mail
Regular basis – each work day
Inside the agency
• Press “voice mail” button on phone, or
• Dial “6555” using any phone in the agency and
press #
Outside the agency
• Dial 399-6555 or 1-800-798-9771, follow prompts
Submit claims for mileage online at
• Reimbursement at 39 cents per mile
Also submit claims for non-mileage expenses online
Examples of non-mileage expenses:
a) Meals during out-of-area Agency travel
b) Other Agency-directed travel expenses such as lodging
c) On occasion, approved supplies purchased out-of-pocket
when there is not adequate time to process a purchase order for
unique specialty items
Maximum reimbursement is $50 for total cash purchases
made on the same day.
**First option for general office supplies is to obtain items
through your region secretary.
….Claims Reimbursement….
Receipts are required for all on-line claims excluding
Meal expenses for out-of-area business travel are
reimbursed at per diem rate established by Gov’t
Services Administration (GSA). GSA Quick
Reference located at top of reimbursement claims
system screen.
Reimbursement for cell phone at 13 cents per
minute not to exceed $30 per month
For detailed instructions of reimbursement system
see reference guide available on Business/HR
Google site
…Mileage reimbursement…
Staff assigned to the same building/location MondayFriday are not reimbursed for mileage to and from home
(considered a commute by the IRS and therefore not
eligible for reimbursement).
For itinerant staff assigned to multiple buildings – mileage
is reimbursed from assigned Agency Center to site (or
home to site – whichever is less)
Mileage driven between first and last assignments is
Mileage from the assigned Agency Center to and from
home is not to be reimbursed (considered a commute).
….Timelines for claims….
Employees are advised to submit claims
on a monthly basis – by last working day
of each month.
Claims submitted more than 6 months
after expenses incurred are not eligible
for reimbursement.
Payment for approved claims is made
the second Wednesday of each month.
Employee Leave Form
Professional Leave Request
Professional Leave Reimbursement
Agency Directed Travel Request
Used for absences that occur on scheduled work day
Leave types include personal leave, emergency leave, illness
(personal or family), bereavement, jury duty and leave without pay.
Report absence to Secretary
Leave forms to be completed using the online ESS system at
Tip sheet for completing online leave forms is available by clicking
on the blue question mark at top of the leave form web page.
For scheduled absences, leave form to be completed prior to
absence for RA/supervisor approval
For unscheduled absences, leave form to be submitted immediately
upon return to work (no later than one week following absence)**
Upon approval of the leave request, employee will receive email
from the leave system and an online record will be created
To promote and support professional growth
Must be job-related and timely application is
Request to be completed, submitted, and
received by Region Secretary 15 Agency Days
prior to event
Upon approval by RA/Supervisor, request is
submitted for executive approval
Executive approval to employee within 10
Agency days
….Professional Leave Request….
Contracted Staff
For eligible purchases listed in the Master Contract (professional
journals, books, computer software and DVD’s/CD’s), purchases
must be made by March 1, are treated as taxable income and paid
through payroll. Up to $400 per work year may be reimbursed for
these items.
Employees may request reimbursement for technology equipment/
materials that are not already provided by the Agency. Employees
are to attach with the request a written explanation of job-related
need for the requested item. Upon approval, purchases must be
made by March 1, are treated as taxable income and are paid
through payroll. Up to $150 per work year may be reimbursed for
these approved purchases.
When professional leave monies are used for tuition
reimbursement, the coursework is not eligible for salary lane
change advancement.
….Professional Leave Request….
To be eligible for reimbursement, approved equipment
and materials are to be purchased no later than March 1,
or at least 3 months prior to leaving the Agency,
whichever is first.
The March 1 timeline is also a consideration for other
expenses (including conferences, license fees and
professional dues), and these requests are evaluated on
a case-by-case basis.
The March 1 timeline helps to establish the job-related
nature of expense.
Total amount of request is not to exceed the balance
available at the time expense was incurred.
Employee makes personal payment for
approved activities and expenses
After event, employee submits completed
form (signed and dated) to Region
Secretary for supervisor approval.
Employee is to attach necessary receipts.
(Meals and mileage do NOT require
Travel is directed by RA/Supervisor (specify if
travel is directed by someone other than own
Travel form available online at:
Complete and submit form at least 5 days prior
to departure
Approval required before departure
Expenses submitted on electronic claim system
…Agency directed travel…
Overnight stays may be approved for business travel
when meetings extend beyond one work day or for
evening travel when a 1-day meeting begins before
For Agency business travel in the Des Moines area, both
agency-directed and professional leave travel, employees
are to stay at one of the 4 approved hotels in the Des
Moines/Ames area.
When contacting hotel for reservations, employee is to
notify hotel you are with GWAEA for the $55 state rate.
Contact Region Secretary for list of approved hotels and
assistance with payment related to lodging expenses.
Supplies/Materials Requests
It’s important to ensure appropriate use of public funds.
The primary option for office supplies/materials is to
obtain needed items through the normal purchasing
process through the Region Secretary: a) purchase
orders and b) online orders through the competitive
pricing vendors.
Paper products are not to be supplied for internal staff
meetings. These meeting expenses are to follow same
guidelines as food items (only allowed to use Agency
funds if a registration fee covers costs or when 50% of
attendees are LEA or non-GWAEA staff).
Toner/inkjet cartridges are only to be supplied for Agencyowned printers (those housed at an Agency Center or
Purchase Order Requests
For general office supplies, contact your Region
For other items, work with Region Secretary to
initiate a PO request
Provide needed information regarding purchase
Submit purchase request to Region Secretary
for supervisor approval
Upon approval, Region Secretary will initiate
purchase order or online order as appropriate.
If an Agency Center closes for emergency purposes, a voice mail
message notification will be sent to all staff voice mail boxes.
In addition, staff will be alerted through the SchoolReach
automated telephone system through cell and/or home phone
numbers as provided by employees.
When an Agency Center closes, employees are to discuss with
their supervisor options for making up work time missed during
the closing. Options may include:
• Calendar change
• Emergency leave
• Personal leave
• Leave without pay
.…Agency Closings….
Contracted Staff may also have option to request
comp time that was previously earned and approved
by supervisor.
Full-time Classified Staff may also have option to use
vacation, work a longer day within the 7-day pay
cycle or make up the work time on a weekend.
Requests for making up the work time (calendar
change, leave, adjusted schedule, etc.) are subject
to supervisor approval.
CONTRACTED: Time sheets are used only when you
are a new employee to the agency and your contract has
not yet been signed or for added days or Teacher Quality
CLASSIFIED: Use online Payroll Time Card System
Employees are to enter time worked on a daily basis.
Employees are to certify their weekly timecards by the
end of their work day on Friday each week.
Employees are to obtain prior supervisor approval for
any change in the regular work schedule.
Contracted Staff
Employees are contracted for a professional service that often
does not lend itself to a specifically-defined day.
Employees are to provide weekly schedule information to the
supervisor (this info is to include work locations).
Comp time may be earned when there’s a need for staff to work
outside of Agency business hours for direct service client
Common examples for earning comp time include IEP meetings,
parent/community meetings, CISM support, presentations/
workshops beyond the workday, client visits that occur over the
week-end, etc.
Time not spent directly with clients, such as office activities,
paperwork, reports, professional reading, etc. is not eligible for
earning comp time.
Comp Time, continued
In order to earn and use comp time, employee is to notify
supervisor of need to provide services off-hours on the weekly
schedule or contact supervisor before working off-hours activity
to request approval.
Email notice is encouraged for documenting the comp time
request and the supervisor approval.
If employees are unable to notify their supervisor ahead of time
of the need to provide services off-hours, supervisor may
consider request when received and approval will depend on the
circumstances. It’s important employees give notice as soon as
When employees provide advance notice of the request and no
response is received from the supervisor before the off-hours
services are to be provided, then tacit approval has been
granted to earn the comp time.
Comp Time, continued
Comp time is to be earned and used in increments of 30
As general rule, comp time is to be taken in same year it was
While not required, best practice would encourage employees
to balance the professional time provided to their clients when
using comp time (if comp time was earned with Client A then
consider using the comp time for Client A to the extent
No more than 16 hours of comp time are to be used
Additional comp time guidance and scenario references jointly
developed by the Agency and Association are available at
Comp Time, continued
Classified Staff
 Any change from regular schedule requires
prior supervisor approval.
 Assigned work in excess of 40 hours per week
is considered overtime.
 Employees may be granted comp time in lieu
of overtime.
 As general rule, comp time is to be taken in
same year it was earned.
Provide data at conclusion of service
Collect data 9 weeks following service
Need measurable baseline
EYSE conferences by February or
Consider summer options for services
(calendar change 1 day = 8 hours)
Frequency, Duration, Location
Conflict of Interest
 The Board is committed to assuring Agency employees provide
services to clients for which they are eligible.
 Conflict of interest is of special concern when an employee provides
services privately that are provided by the Agency.
 To ensure no real or perceived conflict of interest, employees are not
act as an agent or dealer for the sale of textbooks or other school supplies;
participate in outside activities where their position on the staff is used to sell
goods or services to students or to parents served by the Agency;
engage in outside work or activities where the source of information concerning
the customer, client or employer originates from information obtained because
of the employee’s position with the Agency; or
engage in any outside employment or activity that is in conflict with the
employee’s official duties and responsibilities.
Policies and Procedures, cont’d
Secondary Employment
 An annual request form for any outside, secondary
employment is to be submitted to ensure the other
employment is not 1) interfering with Agency job
responsibilities, 2) occurring on Agency time, 3) using
Agency materials or resources or 4) replacing or
interfering with Agency services.
 When employees teach a class through the Agency’s
Professional Development Office, this is considered
Agency employment and there is no need for a secondary
employment request to be submitted for these situations.
Policies and Procedures, cont’d
In the event of a work-related injury or
bloodborne exposure, employee is to:
• Notify supervisor and business services
(x6706) within 24 hours of the injury.
Seek medical attention, if necessary.
Employees may go to health care
practitioner/facility of their choice. Inform
provider that injury is work related.
Home Visit Safety Issues
Required in all Agency Centers and
when conducting Agency business
Helpful to others
Ensures safety and security for staff and
Supports school policies as well
 Virginia Smelser, Records Technician
 Angela Krejci, Secretary
Records Access Procedures
Must have a legitimate educational interest to
review records
Contact Virginia or Angela via phone, email or
in person to obtain records
Virginia or Angela will document that you have
reviewed the record or been given a copy
Return records promptly in person (not via van
Remember that everything in the record is
confidential – treat it accordingly (do not leave
out on your desk, in your car or in a building)
Student Records Locations
Northern Facility
Cedar Rapids public and parochial
Center Point-Urbana
Central City
College Community
Mount Vernon
North Cedar
North Linn
West Branch
Southern Facility
Belle Plaine
Clear Creek-Amana
Deep River-Millersburg
Iowa City
Iowa Valley
Lone Tree
Before initiating grant application, important to
communicate and work with supervisor and Business
Manager (x6704)
When a grant has been approved for funding, a project
manager is identified, an account number is assigned and
financial activity is monitored by the project manager.
Budget changes may only be made according to grant
guidelines and within the period authorized by the grant
(same school year of the activity).
Status reports required by the funding source are typically
the responsibility of the project manager and financial
reporting is to be coordinated with the Business Manager.
Contracted staff may advance their placement
on the salary schedule by completing approved
graduate hours beyond their degree
Employees are advised to submit application to
their supervisor before taking coursework to be
sure coursework has been approved for salary
Approved semester hours for lane change are
to be completed by September 1
Evidence of completing approved hours to be
submitted to HR Office by October 1
….Salary Lane Changes….
Salary lane changes are presented to Board at
October meeting and change is retroactive to
beginning of work year
If lane change application has been submitted,
HR Office sends annual notices of employee
progress towards lane change
Job or Assignment Openings
Staff who wish to be considered for an assignment to work in a
different region within their current job category or who wish to be
considered for an opening in a different job category than their current
position may check opportunities posted on the “Staff Openings” tab of
the Staff Website.
The online posting is available at
Assignments and/or job openings are posted on a daily basis as they
become available. Each opening is posted for a period of five (5)
Agency days.
Employees interested in actively seeking other Agency opportunities
are advised to check the posting at least one time each week to avoid
missing a timeline for applying for the opening.
The internal staff postings are not to be confused with the employment
information posted weekly for public information under “Job Openings”
on the home page of the Agency web site. Staff need only to check
the daily postings under “Staff Openings” for current info.
Employee Information Resources
Master Agreement for Contracted Staff
Master Agreement for Classified Staff
Business and HR Procedures Manual
Board Policy Manual
The Bulletin Board (Agency’s primary vehicle for internal communications)