the Child Development Permit Workshop

Welcome to the
Child Development Permit
Sponsored by the Cerritos College
Child Development Club
CD Club Advisors: Angie Beck and
Susan Gradin
Thank you to Club officers for their
help with the workshop!
Don’t be afraid to ask
Why apply for the Child
Development Permit?
• Currently entitles the holder to teach in
state and federally funded programs
• Programs receiving LAUP funds
– Los Angeles Universal Preschool
• Down the road maybe required by all Child
Development Centers
• In the future . . . An Early Learning
Who gives you the
• California Commission on
Teacher Credentialing
Who will help you pay for
the permit?
• Child Development Training
• At certain levels (see next slide)
• They pay for your Permit fee
• Will reimburse you for part of the
fingerprinting cost ($51)
The Child Development Training Consortium
will pay for the following levels:
• 1.Assistant (first-time and renewal)
• 2. Associate Teacher (first-time, upgrade
and renewal)
• 3. Teacher (first-time, upgrade and
• 4. Upgrades from one of the three lower
level permits to Master Teacher, Site
Supervisor or Program Director
The Child Development
Permit Matrix
Understanding the Matrix
Permit Titles
Education Requirements
Experience Requirement
Alternative Qualifications
• Five Year Renewal – 105
Professional Growth HOURS
• Possible to renew online
Which level will you apply
Associate Teacher
Master Teacher
Site Supervisor
Program Director
The Application
• The Forms
• Make sure every
question is answered!
The forms:
• All forms filled out in black ink. See
– Place on form for CD instructor to sign
• Look at checklist – go over each form
• Livescan + Green Form
• Verification of Hours Form – Take to
• Also send official transcripts (sealed)
All forms will be sent to
the Consortium!
• The Consortium will check your forms and
send on to the Commission.
• Label for envelope!
How long will it take to
receive you permit?
• 6 weeks to
6 months
Reminder: you will receive an e-mail from
the commission when your permit is ready.
Then you go on the Commission’s website to
Once you print out your
Child Development Permit:
• Start keeping track of your Professional
Growth Hours! (105 hours)
Need to document these
• Forms provided by the Commission
and the Child Development Training
Consortium, and in your handout 
You may:
1. Complete one or more college or university courses
2. Attend a conference or workshop
3. Provide service in a leadership role in your center.
4. Provide service in a leadership role in a professional
organization (BCAEYC!!).
5. Provide service as a professional growth advisor.
6. Conduct educational research and innovation.
7. Perform systematic programs of observation and analysis of
8. Participate in a program of independent study.
9. Improve basic skills
10. Participate in creative endeavors.
11 Receive your First Aid/CPR card
• You should print Professional Growth
Manual from website
• Choose a Professional Growth Advisor
Do you have a
professional portfolio??
• Items to include in your portfolio:
Your Educational Philosophy
Certificates of Professional Conferences and Workshops
Letters of reference
Certificates of membership in professional organizations
Professional Growth Plans
• The reflections piece is what makes
your portfolio meaningful and not
just a scrapbook of paperwork.
• Reflections show that you can bring
experience and knowledge together in a
personally meaningful way
• Connect theory to practice
• Gain insight into who you are as a teacher
• As someone new to this field, think
about course work that you could
include in your portfolio:
• Your baby book from CD 110
• Your child’s portfolio from CD 139
• Your experiences from CDEC 164