International and Immigrant Education

International and Immigrant Education
George Brown College
Immigrant Education Department
International and Immigrant Education
New to Canada?
College Entry Advising
A free, one-on-one, comprehensive service with the
fundamental aim of assisting clients through
guidance to achieve their educational goals
What are the services offered?
• Guidance
• Referrals
• Information provision
College Advising: Where can I find
We are open on weekdays from 9 am to 5 pm and have two locations to
serve our clients
St. James Campus
Casa Loma Campus
200 King Street East, Toronto
160 Kendal Avenue, Toronto
Rm. 267D
Rm. C408, C409
By phone: 416.415.5000 ext. 2949
By e-mail:
Pre-booked appointments are strongly recommended.
But there are BARRIERS…
Education: International qualifications  Canadian
employers not that clued in to degrees from overseas…
Experience: Too little ‘Canadian’ experience or too much
experience overall…
Language: Especially if English is not my first language…
Job Search process: Often different than how one goes
about it in my home country…
Networking: Not used to it  Often new things to do  Cold
Calls / Information interviews / Networking events …
How do I overcome these barriers?
 Canadian style resume
 Online job search
 Cold calls
 Information interviews
 Volunteering
 Language classes
 Networking: Online and in person
 Bridging Programs?
 Workplace Communication Courses?
What is a Bridging Program?
 A bridging program allows you to make use of
your education and work experience acquired
abroad to enter rewarding fields in the workforce
in Canada
 Features
– Builds on prior education
– Builds on prior experience
– Job placement  Canadian experience
– Career services to help you find a job
Bridging Programs
Bridging Programs
Canadian experience
Canadian credentials
Career services
GBC Bridging Programs for
Internationally Educated Professionals
Career and Work Counsellor
College Teacher Training
Construction Management
Early Childhood Educator
Research Commercialization
and Innovation
International and Immigrant Education
Career and Work Counsellor Program for ITI’s
Students in this program are exposed to both individual
and group career counselling theory and practice.
Four months of specialized English language instruction
and a job placement allow students to gain Canadian
Program Length: 16 months (4 semesters)
Internship: 18 weeks
Starting: September
International and Immigrant Education
College Teacher Training Program for ITI’s
This program provides internationally trained
teachers with the language skills, training, and
Canadian experience to enable them to secure a
teaching position at a community college
Program Length: 33 weeks (2 semesters)
Internship: 42 hour
Starting: September
International and Immigrant Education
Construction Management Program for ITI’s
This program provides applied education for
management positions in all construction
settings, including an enhanced workplace
experience component to help students make a
quick transition to employment
Program Length: 12 months (3 semesters)
Internship: 3-4 months (3rd semester)
Starting: January
International and Immigrant Education
Early Childhood Educator Bridging Program
This program provides eligible applicants with
the upgrading and experience to be recognized
to work in Ontario as an Early Childhood
Program start/length: Ongoing
International and Immigrant Education
Research Commercialization and Innovation
Graduate Certificate
Students are internationally trained individuals with
Masters- or Doctorate-level qualifications, seeking to
bring innovations to market through applied research
and commercialization activities.
Hands-on experience working on real projects with
industry partners, job counselling, mentoring and
networking. In class/lab learning – 42 weeks over three
Program Length: 12 months (3 semesters)
Starting: September
International and Immigrant Education
Post-Graduate Certificate Programs
Post-Graduate Certificates are short term 2 or 3 semester programs,
with or without co-op, that are built on previous post-secondary
Some examples of Post-Graduate programs include:
Autism and Behavioural Science - C405 (Full-time)
Financial Planning - B407 (Full-time)
Human Resources Management - B408 (Full-time)
Information Systems Business Analyst - T405 (Full-time)
Health Informatics - T402 (Full-time)
Wireless Networking - T411 (Full-time)
Health Informatics - T402 (Full-time)
Dental Assistant Level II Upgrade (Part-time)
Academic Pathway for Nurses (Part-time)
International and Immigrant Education
Language Requirements for Admission
TOEFL – 550 for Diploma and Certificate/ post-graduate
George Brown Intensive ESL – level 8 (7 for bridging)
Grade 12 C or U
Mature student testing (pre-admission testing)
(Test scores are valid for two years. Requirements may vary subject to ranking)
If you did a grade 12 level English credit in a country where English is not the
common language of that country, you are subject to pre-admission testing or one of
the above test scores
International and Immigrant Education
What is mature student status ?
If you are 19 or older and do not have an OSSD, you may
apply as a mature student.
You will be tested and/or interviewed to see if you meet the
program prerequisites.
If you are under the age of 19 at the start of the program, you
must have an OSSD or equivalent to be admitted.
International and Immigrant Education
Bridging programs require proof of previous post-secondary
ICAS of Canada
International Credential Assessment
Ontario AgriCentre
100 Stone Road West, Suite 102
Guelph ON N1G 5L3
Telephone: 519-763-7282
Toll free in Canada: 1-800-321-6021
Fax: 519-763-6964
World Education Services
45 Charles Street East, Suite 700
Toronto, Ontario M4Y 1S2
Tel: 416-972-0072
Toll Free 1-866-343-0070
Fax: 416-972-9004
Comparative Education
School of Continuing Studies
The University of Toronto
158 St. George Street
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2V8
Tel: 416-978-2400
International and Immigrant Education
Credential Evaluation
WES: All post-Secondary education (course credits, grades and GPA); verification of
completion of Secondary School only
Document Requirements: All academic documents must be received directly from
the issuing institution or relevant government authority
ICAS: General and Comprehensive for Secondary and Post-Secondary
Specifically designed Secondary School Comprehensive
Document Requirements: Original documents or copies certified within the last 12
months in the country of current residence
For specific jurisdictions, documents issued directly to ICAS by the institution (see
International and Immigrant Education
Credential Evaluation
CES (The University of Toronto): Post-Secondary credentials for employment
purposes and verification of credential equivalent
CES does not provide detailed course by course evaluation at this time
Document Requirements: Original transcripts or photocopies are acceptable.
Original documents must be provided on demand
Occupation Specific Language
Training (OSLT)
Want to improve your workplace
communication skills?
What will you learn?
Improve your interviewing, networking and communication skills
Understand and function within the workplace culture in your occupation and sector
Effectively interact with colleagues, supervisors and clients
Who qualifies?
Have training or experience in a specific occupation or sector
Have Canadian Language Benchmark English levels between 6 and 8
Are a permanent resident or protected person
George Brown College
OSLT course offerings
 Business
Summer and Fall
 Nursing
 Health Sciences
 Construction
To register, please call:
416-415-5000 x 6457
or visit
OSLT courses are offered at our Casa Loma campus (Spadina & Dupont)
International and Immigrant Education
What are my options for upgrading to help me get into my
Upgrading options include:
-Pre-programs: Community Services, Health Sciences, and Business
-ESL: Levels 1 – 8
-Academic Upgrading for Math, English, Computer Literacy, Biology,
Physics, and Chemistry
You may also complete high school credits at any adult high school. For
more information on this, visit:
International and Immigrant Education
$ Financing your Training/ Education $
To be eligible to apply for financial assistance from the Ontario Student Assistance
Program (OSAP), you must be a:
Canadian citizen;
Permanent resident; or
Protected person/convention refugee with a Protected Persons Status Document (PPSD)
You must be enrolled or planning to enroll in an approved post-secondary institution in a
program that is 12 weeks or more
*If you have lived in Canada for less than 12 consecutive months, you may be eligible
for OSAP. You might have to submit a History of Canadian Residence form to
determine if you are eligible. This will help OSAP determine if you have lived in any other
Canadian province or territory before you lived in Ontario
International and Immigrant Education