Getting To Know…
Dr. Michael Walsh Grants and Contracts Manager Office of Sponsored Programs
– FDO contains information on 108,000 foundations, corporate giving programs, and grant making public charities in the U.S. – The database consists of over 4,000 sponsoring companies, offering a quick pathway to corporate funders; – The database contains over 3 million recently awarded grants; – FDO offers a keyword-searchable database of over 1 million recently filed IRS Forms 990 and 990-PF (filed by exempt organizations -- i.e., private foundations and private charities).
• Log into myUMBC • Click on Topics Tab • Click on Human Resources and Finance • Scroll to the bottom of the page to the heading Financial Application- click on link “Foundation Directory Online”. Note: You can ONLY access FDO while on UMBC’s Campus
Additional FDO Access Point
NEW FOR 2013: FDO FREE
is a new, improved way to quickly look up
information about foundations by name, EIN, or location.
CAN be accessed off-campus through the web. No log-in or subscription needed. http://fconline.foundationcenter.org/
Click Here for FDO Free Search!
• Manual Funding Searches • Power Search (9 databases at once) • Update Central • Cross-Border Giving (U.S. Grant-makers to non-U.S. recipients) • Posted RFPs • Newsletter (Sign up for funding watch, job bulletins, RFP bulletins, etc.) • Archived Webinars & Blogs • Chat Now • Training • Online Tutorials (Highly Recommended)
• • • • • • • •
Advantages In Using Foundation Directory Online?
Search across a funder's grants (using search criteria and indexes) Map a funder's grants for any given year by recipient type or primary subject/the ability to view disbursements by county, city, ZIP code, or congressional district Chart a funder's grants for any given year by recipient type or primary subject. Receive funder-specific e-mail alerts Ability to search across all four
Foundation Directory Online
databases as well as the Foundation Center's philanthropy news, nonprofit jobs, RFPs, foundation publications, and nonprofit literature databases simultaneously User-friendly interface IPhone & Android Compatibility Constant and consistent updating of database (weekly updates)
• Searching by grantmaker – Will list all foundations who have distributed grants in the past •
: Grantmaker name, field of interest/geographic focus, grantmaker state and total giving, grantmaker city, establishment year, trustees/officers/donors, and keyword or a combination thereof.
• A Company search – Will list all companies who distribute grants. •
: Company name, state and business type, subsidiary state/country, subsidiary city, total sales, directors/officers congressional district, and keyword.
• A grant search – Will list all organizations who have received foundation grants and from who. •
: Grantmaker name & state, recipient type and types of support, recipient state and grant amount, and/or recipient city, congressional district, types of support, year authorized, and keyword • A 990s search – Will list all organizations who have filled a 990 within the criteria selected.
: Grantmaker name, fiscal year and grantmaker zip and/or grantmaker state, EIN (tax ID), and keyword
• Select what you want to search – Grantmakers – Companies – Grants – 990s • The Grantmaker-Specific Search Grants Screen is used to search for records of recently awarded grants specific to a particular grantmaker while the main Search Grants Screen is used to search for records of recently awarded grants across our entire database.
• Enter any and/or all information – The more fields entered the more narrower the search
• Additional search option – Clicking on the link “view index” under each search criteria.
– Select field you want to search • Indexes included on the Grantmaker Specific Search Grants Screen contain fewer entries than the indexes on the main Search Grants Screen because these indexes are specific to the grantmaker whose grants you are searching.
A sample search by City, County, State Sample search results on UMBC as Recipient
• Recipient • Grant • Grantmaker • Contact/Email
Grantmaker Profile includes
: • Background • Fields of Interest • Donor • Contact • Financial Data • Types of Support • Map & Chart
Mapping & Charting Grants
Links to Social Media
The Power Search
• Grants • 990s • News • Jobs • RFPs : • Grantmakers • Companies • IssueLab Reports • Nonprofit Literature
• Log-in to myUMBC • Access Foundation Directory •
Let’s Try a Search
: • Power Search & • Using one of the four search databases
• For questions about
Foundation Directory Online
, including questions about search strategies, e-mail [email protected]
or call (800) 424-9836. • For general questions about foundations, philanthropy, and fundraising research, please refer to the Foundation Center's Online Librarian page ( http://foundationcenter.org/getstarted/askus/ ). The
and search examples accessible and available to the grant seeker for their perusal.
Office of Sponsored Programs
410-455-3140 www.umbc.edu/ospa ------------------------------------------------------ Dr. Michael T. Walsh [email protected]
410-455-3037 **Please feel free to contact your college’s specific Grants and Contracts Manager and Specialist**
Mr. Cameron McAdams Grants & Contracts Specialist Office of Sponsored Programs
• Concept originated in the Federal Financial Assistance Management Improvement Act of 1999.
• E-Grants Initiative; Established as a Governmental Resource – Part of President George W. Bush's FY 2002 Management Agenda to Improve Government Services to the Public • Congress enacted legislation to provide an online connection between grant seekers and federal grant makers. It has been specifically and purposefully designed to make grant research, application, processing and management more efficient.
• Simplifies the grants application, management and awarding processes by reducing paperwork through downloadable and fillable forms, auto-populated data, error checks, email notifications and online support.
– Creates a centralized, online process to find and apply for over 1,000 grant programs from the 26 Federal grant-making agencies. Designed to be the one-source access to standardized grant information, application packages and processes. – Over $500 billion in annual funds to state and local governments, academia, not-for-profits and other organizations.
– Saves time and expense that is associated with traditional paper-based grant applications
– Post Grant Opportunities – Post Related Application Packages – Retrieve Application Packages – Assign Tracking Numbers
– Search for Grant Opportunities – Download Application Packages – Complete Application Packages Offline – Check Application Errors – Submit Completed Application Packages – Track the Status of Submitted Applications
Note: Accessing Grants.gov is permitted off-campus.
• The exploration of Grants.gov and subsequent downloading of grant applications is allowed without PI registration; institutional registration has been completed for UMBC.
• OSP personnel are the Authorized Organization Representatives (AORs) that will submit the applications to the federal agencies.
• • • • Use the search options available on the Find Grants Opportunities page. – Email notification service is also available.
Perform a basic search, browse by category, browse by agency, or conduct an advanced search. Sign up for emails as well.
Complete search and click submit. The results will display all applicable grants.
As soon as grant programs are announced by the agencies, they are posted on Grants.gov and available for review. After you receive your results, you can link to the synopses of the grant opportunities that provide important information about each grant and links to the full announcements and application packages.
– Basic search allows search by Keywords, Funding Opportunity # or CFDA # – Allows sorting by Status of opportunity (Open, Closed or Archived) – Enables editing which instrument type desired (Grant, Cooperative Agreement, Contract, Other) – Sorts by who is eligible for the award (e.g. Public and State controlled institutes of higher education) – Sort by category (arts, education, health etc.) – Allows selection of specific government agencies
Shows a quick glimpse of Date Floor grant details: – Funding Opportunity # – CFDA # – Posted and Closing – Program funding – Award Ceiling and – Cost share requirement – Eligibility – Brief Description of the program
Click the download button on the right to get the grants.gov package. You will be asked to optionally give your email address so that grants.gov may email you any updates to the package.
– All required documents are already attached – To add optional forms click the checkboxes – Clicking on the name of the document will jump you to that page – All the yellow boxes are required OSP is available to help you fill in any information you may not be sure about.
• Grants.gov Help Desk is available 24/7, except federal holidays.
• Email: [email protected]
• Phone: 1-800-518-4726 (local toll-free) • Please also see Help page for general inquiries
Office of Sponsored Programs [email protected]
410-455-3140 www.umbc.edu/ospa --------------------------------------------- Mr. Cameron McAdams [email protected]
410-455-3187 **Please feel free to contact your college’s specific Grants and Contracts Manager and Specialist**
Mr. Chad League, J.D.
Grants & Contracts Specialist Office of Sponsored Programs
This pre-award funding search database includes a diverse inventory of more than 8,000 federal funding opportunities and more than 6,000 Foundation opportunities, spanning diverse academic fields including the arts, medical sciences, education, humanities, social sciences, business, engineering and technology, physical sciences, law, and many more.
• Over 39 subject fields including: Energy Agriculture Area Studies Engineering Environmental Sciences Arts Behavioral Sciences Biotechnology Ethnic and Racial Group Studies Foods and Food Business Administration Communication Science Gender Studies Computer Science Earth Sciences Geographic Locations Home Economics Humanities Education Information Science International Studies Law Leisure Studies Library Science Life Sciences Mathematics Medical Sciences Military Sciences Museology Natural Sciences Nuclear Sciences Opportunity Restricted to Minorities • Over 2,009 categories Institutions Opportunity Restricted to Women Opportunity for Junior Faculty Physical Sciences Plant Sciences Population Studies Rural Studies Science Social Sciences Space Sciences Technology Transportation Urbanism Grant Forward also offers several assistance aids on their website: 1. Grant Forward Home Page: http://www.grantforward.com/ 2. Educational materials: http://www.grantforward.com/education 3. Overview Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSriw2YIj4E 4. Knowledge base: http://feedback.grantforward.com/knowledgebase
Accessing Grant Forward
• Grant Forward can be accessed directly from a campus computer, or from an off-campus computer by setting up an account using your UMBC e-mail address. Grant Forward can be accessed DIRECTLY at http://www.grantforward.com/ .
• OSP Website Access: http://www.umbc.edu/research/OSP/pr oposals/funding_opportunities.html
• Also Note the Link to “How To Use Grant Forward” published by Cazoodle
Grant Forward: FAQs & Web Demos
Grant Forward Registration
• Go to www.grantforward.com
. Click on Sign Up on the Home Page • Enter your UMBC E-mail Address • Enter your Password and confirm your Password • Click on “Institution Member” in the “Select Account Type” Field.
• UMBC should populate in the “Institution” Field.
Finding Grant Forward Opportunities Basic Search
• Can conduct a basic broad search using ‘keywords’ or ‘categories’ • If you are unsure of a specific category to use, click on ‘select from list’ and Grant Forward will provide a list of available categories from which to choose.
• If you have a more specific topic of research in mind, click “Advanced Search” to bring up more detailed query fields.
Finding Grant Forward Opportunities Advanced Search
• Advanced searches are helpful when trying to narrow down your research topic.
• You can search funding opportunities by sponsor, deadline, sponsor type, grant/award type, status, etc. • You can select multiple sponsors and options in the various fields so that you do not have to do separate searches for each sponsor, sponsor type, etc.
Grant Forward Search Results
The search results provides the following information: • • • • Submission Deadline Funding Amount Eligibility Submission Info The yellow star gives you the option to mark certain opportunities as ‘favorites’ so you can come back to them later.
You can also choose to further narrow your search using the fields to the left of your search results.
Grant Forward Search Results
This page provides you with the following: • General overview of the opportunity • Ability to ‘Annotate’ the opportunity with notes and reminders.
• Ability to ‘Star’ as a ‘Favorite’ • Ability to Export overview to PDF Format
OSP Contact Information For Grant Forward Office of Sponsored Programs
410-455-3140 www.umbc.edu/ospa ------------------------------------------------------ Chad League, J.D.
410-455-3255 **Please feel free to contact your college’s specific Grants and Contracts Manager and Specialist**
Facts, figures, and other pertinent information regarding these databases were gathered from the following websites: » http://fconline.foundationcenter.org/ » www.grants.gov