IRIGA CITY HISTORY The Franciscan friars, who sat foot on the Bicol peninsula, saw in the new land a good ground for evangelization. They soon called it “Iraga”, which means there is land. Iraga developed in size and wealth. Soon thereafter, foundation work had been laid down by proclaiming it as visita of Nabua. More and more people from Nabua came to the place for settlement. In 1682, with a population of 8,909, I-raga was converted into Pueblo de la Provincia de Ambos Camarines. Later on, the Spanish authorities changed the name from I-raga to Iriga and In 1710 Don Bonifacio de los Angeles organized the first four barrios of Iriga – San Agustin, San Isidro, San Nicolas and San Antonio Abad. In 1901, under the American colonization, the first public school in Iriga was established, the Iriga Central School. In 1913 the Manila Railroad Company Station and the public market was established at its present site . With the establishment of the train station and the public market, Iriga rapidly grew and became the center of trade and commerce in the Rinconada area. The American colonial period temporarily ended in 1942 when World War II broke out. The Japanese Imperial Army established a garrisoned at Kalbaryo hill overlooking the city proper. Iriga Central School became a concentration camp; those who could not be accommodated were brought to the Ateneo de Naga. Like in many other places, Bicolano guerilla units spring up in Iriga after the formal American colonialist resistance has ended. Mt. Iriga became the base of the resistance attracting recruits not only from Iriga but even as far as Albay. With the help of the Agtas who were very familiar with the terrain, the Japanese army could penetrate the interiors of the mountain. With the end of the Japanese occupation in May 15, 1945, the Iriga Central was reopened and rehabilitation began. In 1948, the first college in Iriga City, the Mabini Memorial College was established by Atty. Felix O. Alfelor. A year later, Atty. Ortega also established the Saint Anthony College. The establishment of these centers for higher learning, including the La Consolacion Academy further spurred the growth and development of the municipality as it attracts students from all over the region. In 1960s, Iriga saw tremendous economic and social progress. On July 8, 1968, the city was converted into a city through Republic act 5261. However, it was only on September 3 of the same year that the City was formally organized and inaugurated as the third city Ferdinand Marcos. of the Bicol Region by then President NAGA CITY HISTORY Naga City derives its name from the tough and robust narra trees that was abundant in the area before the city’s establishment. The early local Filipino settlers established a trading village here. The place was well known for trade and the community’s advanced weaponry and technology at the time. In 1573 Juan de Salcedo led the Spanish expedition to what we know now as Naga City. Captain Salcedo and the Spanish troops were quite surprised to find this flourishing village with such technology of the day. The culture of the village was quite different and a bit sophisticated and modern. About two years later, in 1575, a new city was founded in the said location. Captain Pedro de Chaves of Spain and commander of the Spanish garrison in Naga named the city as Ciudad de Caceres. It is presently located on Naga City’s business center. The name of the city was in honor of the current governor general who was a native of Caceres City in Spain. It held the name for quite some time and was even mentioned at the 1595 papal bull. Life went on and the city and the town that the locals established became one community. The name Nueva Caceres was used to identify the now merged community and became a city under Spanish law and became one of the first few Spanish cities in the Philippines. In 1898 Elias Angeles and Felix Plazo led a successful revolt which resulted in the Spanish forces retreating to Iloilo Province. This little victory wasn’t meant to last long however. A couple of years later, American forces invaded Camarines Sur in 1900 and entered Naga City. The revolutionary soldiers of the Philippines in the area of Naga City were forced to surrender in 1901 due to sickness among their forces. In 1941 Naga City was invaded by the Japanese Imperial Army. But the Japanese occupation of Naga City didn’t last long. In 1945 the Japanese forces in Naga City was defeated by the American troops and the local guerilla fighters. Naga City was officially declared as a city in 1948. Naga City today remains as a great place to visit. Naga City has survived a lot of difficult times and will still remain a bright monument of the early beginnings of the Philippines. LEGAZPI CITY HISTORY Legazpi City was named after Miguel Lopez de Legazpi, the Spanish conquistador who conquered the Philippines in 1565. The place was named as such by the Spaniards as such to Legazpi was named after Miguel López de Legazpi, the Spanish conquistador who conquered the Philippine islands in 1565, and whose family name came from Legazpi, a town in Guipuzcoa, Spain. Historically, the city was named Legazpi, to perpetuate to the memory of Adelantado Don Miguel Lopez de Legazpi. This was the agreement made between the original inhabitants of the place and the Spaniards during the former’s quest for autonomy. It took them 21 years, in which they sought the help and support of the Spaniards, then living in the town. As a sign of gratitude, the people readily accepted the name, which was also then proposed by the Spaniards upon fulfillment of their efforts. Legazpi first became a city under the Bercerra Law of 1892. It constituted the municipalities of Legazpi, Albay Nuevo and Daraga into the Ayuntamiento de Albay. The first set of officials – Alcalde, Teniente de Alcalde, Sindico, Secretario, and Regidores (councilor) – took office in 1898. With the American occupation in 1940, the city was dissolved. Upon restoration of peace, the three towns were re-established and in 1908 became the municipality of Albay, the provincial capital of Albay. In 1922, the town of Daraga was separated from the capital. Legazpi became a city for the second time on July 18, 1948 when Daraga and Legazpi were combined to constitute its territory under Republic Act No. 306. With the re-creation of the two municipalities, the city was dissolved on June 8, 1954. Finally, on June 12, 1959, Legazpi became a city for the third time under RA 2234. Amendments were introduced under RA 5525. Presidential Decree 125 issued on February 23, 1973 declared the town of Daraga as part of the territorial jurisdiction of the city. This decree however, was not implemented with the onset of the Integrated Reorganization Plan, which involved the restructuring of local governments.