now - The City of Edinburgh Council

Please note that on the 9 March 2011 the Council adopted new property
Properties with existing HMO licences will be exempt from some of the
changes to the new property standards as long as continuity of licensing is in
place. The exemptions generally relate to the standards which are linked to
physical space and where there are no safety implications.
Details of the revised standards, along with adoption timescales for the
property standards, are contained annex A. These new property standards
were agreed by the Council’s Regulatory Committee on 9 March 2012.
It is essential you note the changes to the property standards and read these
standards together with annex A to identify which property standards apply to
your property during the transition to these new standards.
In particular you should note the standards which apply to new HMO
development. This is important as exemptions for existing HMOs will not
apply. You must also note the changes which are required to property
maintenance programmes to ensure you meet the new standards both
effectively and timeously.
The changes to the property standards have been taken from the Scottish
Government’s HMO guidance. This guidance is statutory and the Council is
required to have regard to it in the administration and implementation of HMO
licensing. A copy of the Statutory Guidance can found on Scottish
Government’s Website.
Houses in Multiple Occupation
Property Inspection Benchmark Standards
The City of Edinburgh Council, like all Scottish councils, is required by law to
have a licensing system for Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO). The
purpose is to achieve and maintain high standards of service in this part of the
private rented sector by ensuring that the HMO owner or their agent is a fit
and proper person, and ensure suitability of accommodation.
Houses in multiple occupation include shared flats and houses, bed-sits,
lodgings, communal accommodation such as student residences and hostels.
Private Rented Services within Services for Communities act as a single point
of contact for all matters relating to licensing of HMO’s. This includes:
Co-ordinating inspections of premises
Preparation of reports
Enforcement where there is a breach of licence conditions or operation of
an HMO without a valid licence.
More information
If you would like a printed copy of the HMO document or you would like more
information or guidance, please contact Private Rented Services:
1. by telephone: 0131 469 5193
2. by fax: 0131 469 5146
3. by email
4. in writing: HMO Inspection Team, Private Rented Services, The City of
Edinburgh Council, Chesser House, 500 Gorgie Road, Edinburgh EH11 3YJ.
Houses in Multiple Occupation: Licence Information
Properties need to be licensed if:
it is the main home of three or more residents
the residents are members of three or more families
If you are not sure whether you need an HMO licence for your property, you
should contact the local authority for advice.
It is a criminal offence to operate an HMO without a licence. The maximum
penalty is currently £50,000. This means that if you are applying for a new
HMO licence you may not lawfully occupy the premises until the licence has
been granted.
The application and inspection process
You can obtain a licence application form from:
Licensing Section, City of Edinburgh Council, 249 High Street, Edinburgh,
EH1 3JY.
Tel 0131 529 4358
You can download the application and site notice forms from the City of
Edinburgh Council’s website.
The completed application should be returned to the Licensing Section and
must be accompanied by the following:
1. Application fee (see form)
2. Four copies of a plan of the property (new applications only).
Floor Plans
The floor plan may be a simple line drawing but it must be accurate,
preferably to scale but a close approximation would be acceptable. It must
state the intended use of each room, and show the location of all windows,
internal glazing (e.g. "stolen lights" between kitchens and bathroom, windows
on the common stair and fanlights above doors), doors, stores/cupboards,
sanitary facilities, extract fans and duct routes. If there are any timber linings
to walls and ceilings in a kitchen and hall then these should be noted on the
You should also note on the plan the location of:
Any boiler
White goods
Telephone point or state the location of the nearest public telephone,
Mains powered smoke or fire alarm system
Indicate the location and number of electric sockets.
Copies of your application will be circulated to Lothian and Borders Police,
Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service and various Council
departments – Private Rented Services, City Development.
Arranging the inspection
A representative from Private Rented Services will contact you and arrange
for a suitable time for the inspection team to visit the property. This team is
made up of officers from Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service, City
Development (Corporate property and Contingency Planning - Public Safety
Section) and Private Rented Services.
Following an inspection, applicants will receive an inspection report and have
an opportunity to complete the necessary works to meet the licensing
standards prior to the application being considered and a decision made by
the Council.
Site notice (for all new and renewal applications)
Applicants must display the site notice, which is provided along with the
application form, on or near the property in a position where it can be easily
read (not within the common stair) for a period of 21 days from the date of
application. You must return a copy of the notice – with the certificate at the
foot completed – to the Licensing Section.
Licence standards
The Scottish Government has issued new Statutory Guidance for Local
Authorities on the Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO).
The guidance has introduced some changes to the existing benchmark
standards. We are conducting a review of our HMO standards with a view to
determining how these should be amended to take account of the new
Applicants are advised to check our web pages for information on the revised
standards and a likely timescale for their introduction.
Here is a summary of the current Benchmark Standards.
Space standards where a suitable sized common living room is also available:
single room (one adult) 6.5 sq metres
double room (two adults) 10.5 sq metres
triple room (three adults) 16.5 sq metres
more than three adults 16.5 sq metres
4.5 sq metres per additional adult family room
(two adults children under 10) 10.5 sq metres 4.5 sq metres per child
Bedrooms where no communal living area is available
single room (one adult) 10.0 sq metres
double room (two adults) 15.0 sq metres
triple room (three adults) 19.5 sq metres
more than three adults 19.5 sq metres + 6 sq metres per additional person
Family room
(two adults children under 10) 15 sq metres + 7 sq metres per child
Bedrooms with cooker
one adult 13 sq metres
two adults 19.0 sq metres
In normal circumstances children would not be accommodated in bedrooms
with cookers. If in exceptional circumstances – they are, appropriate
measures must be taken to ensure their safety:
every bedroom should be capable of accommodating a bed, wardrobe
and a chest of drawers.
every bedroom should be located so that it is not necessary to pass
through another bedroom in order to reach a bathroom, toilet, or an
area such as a hallway.
Activity Space
Each bedroom must have sufficient activity space around the furniture
and fittings.
Communal living room
3 – 6 persons 11.0 sq metres
7 – 10 persons 16.5 sq metres
11 – 15 persons 19.5 sq metres
sinks with integral drainers – one for every six people
cookers – one for every six people unless board is provided
adequate food storage including a cupboard for each resident
an additional cupboard for crockery and cooking utensils
adequate waterproof work surfaces
a minimum of 2.5m of worktop should be provided for up to 4 people
with an additional 0.5m for every additional occupant.
adequate facilities for refuse disposal and recycling
Additional Storage
Additional storage within the flat should be provided for:
cleaning materials
and vacuum cleaner, ironing board, step ladder etc.
Sanitary Facilities
toilet – one for every five people
bath or shower – one for every six people
washbasin – within or adjacent to each toilet
each letting unit shall be no more than one floor from appropriate
sanitary facilities
Water Supply and Drainage
All facilities must have a safe hygienic drainage system and suitable and
sufficient hot and cold water.
Each bedroom and living room must have fixed space heating or be served by
central heating. Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) must not be used or stored on
the premises.
Lighting and Ventilation
Every bedroom or living room must have a glazed window equal to at
least 1/15th of the floor area.
Every bedroom and living room must have a window or windows with
an opening area equal to at least 1/30th of the floor area.
Every kitchen, bathroom and toilet must have either natural ventilation,
with a window opening area equal to at least 1/30th of the floor area, or
adequate mechanical ventilation to the outside air.
All windows must be situated in external wall or roof.
 There must be an adequate electric lighting system providing at least
one lighting point to every room or circulation space.
Boxrooms which are not provided with natural lighting and ventilation are not
suitable for use as living or bedroom accommodation regardless of size and
must be restricted to storage only.
Fire Safety
All HMO properties must be provided with adequate means of fire detection
and warning and adequate means of escape.
For most tenement flats, the escape route will be through the common stair,
reached from the entrance door of each flat. The representatives from
Corporate Property and Contingency Planning and the Fire and Rescue
Service will establish whether work is required in order to bring the fire
precautions of the property up to the required standard.
The Fire and Rescue Service recommendations will be based on a risk
assessment of the property, which will be dependent on the type of building,
the number of storeys, the storey height, the internal layout and the total
number of people living in the property. Where any storey height within the
premises exceeds 7.5m, there may be a requirement to provide additional
exits from the premises or a fire suppression system.
Further guidance can be obtained from the Fire Officer. Tel 0131 469 5123.
The recommendations may include the following:
means of detection and giving warning in case of fire
provision of adequate means of escape
provision of fire-fighting equipment
provision of an emergency plan, fire routine procedures and a
telephone for calling the Emergency Services
fire safety management practices such as the regular maintenance of
fire safety equipment and systems and the giving of fire safety
instructions to all residents and employees.
For information on Fire Risk Assessment details are available on the Firelaw
Automatic Fire Alarm Systems
All houses in multiple occupation require to be provided with an a mains
operated automatic fire detection and alarm system incorporating a battery
back up. The type of system will depend on the following:
Six or less occupants
The HMO should have either:
For HMO’s subject to a risk analysis in compliance with BS 5839 Part
6: (option of a LD1:LD2 or LD3 system depending on the constructional
and fire resistance qualities of the premises).
For double uppers or two storey premises the system must comply with
BS 5839: Part 1: Type L3.
More than six occupants
The HMO should have suitable fire detection and alarm system
complying with BS 5839: Part 1: 1988: Type L2.
Double Uppers over 7.5m and Secondary Means of Escape
Where it is not possible to meet the benchmark standards requirement for a
second means of escape, one of the alternatives is to provide a domestic
sprinkler system throughout the premises.
The system should be designed in accordance with the
recommendations of DD 251:2000, published by the British Standards
Four sets of drawings detailing the proposed system should be sent to
Corporate Property and Contingency Planning - Public Safety Section,
who will assess the proposal and also seek comment from Scottish
Water, Planning and the Fire Board.
The information submitted should include the hydraulic calculations
necessary to determine the viability of the system.
An application for a Building Warrant will also be required and in some
cases Listed Building Consent may also be necessary.
Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service can provide free advice on fire
detection and alarm systems on 0131 469 5123.
Fire Doors
A crucial part of fire safety in an HMO is the provision of self-closing doors to
protect escape routes. All doors off the hallway must be self closing with the
exception of the bathroom. The kitchen and lounge doors may also have to be
up to the standard of FD30s fire doors to provide 30 minutes fire resistance.
All fire doors will need to be fitted with the necessary ironmongery including 3
suitable hinges and a latch.
Traditional panelled doors, such as those found throughout Edinburgh, are not
considered to be capable of providing the required 30 minutes fire resistance,
and will need to be replaced or upgraded. When upgrading doors it is
necessary to select a tested and proven proprietary system which is
appropriate for the door. The door dimensions and condition will have an
affect on the choice of system.
For technical advice on fire doors and structural fire safety precautions call
Corporate Property and Contingency Planning – Public Safety Section on
0131 529 4622.
Gas Safety
Under the Gas Safety and Use Regulations any landlord of rented property
must arrange an annual inspection of any gas installations within the property
such as gas fires, cookers, boilers and hobs by a qualified person who is Gas
Safe Registered to certify that the equipment is safe and functioning correctly.
The landlord must also provide the tenant(s) with a copy of the inspection
report within 28 days of the equipment being checked. The landlord must
retain his records of gas safety certificates for at least 2 years.
Complaints regarding the lack of valid gas safety certificates can be referred
to the Health and Safety Executive.
Solid Fuel Safety
If the property is provided with solid fuel fires the landlord is required to have
the fireplaces and chimneys and flues checked and cleaned on an annual to
ensure that the heating appliances function properly and safely.
LPG Portable Gas Heaters
LPG portable gas heaters must not be used in rented accommodation due to
the fire risk and the problems associated with condensation.
Electrical Safety
The hard wiring forming the electrical installation within an HMO property
must be safe. This will require a qualified electrician to carry out a Periodic
Electrical Installation Report (PIR)
Any remedial works required will need to be remedied and the electrician
must issue a Minor Works Electrical Certificate or in some cases where new
circuits have been added an Electrical Installation Certificate.
The following minimum requirement for the provision of electrical sockets will
need to be met to ensure sockets are not overloaded.
Electrical sockets must be suitably located within the rooms and the hall of the
Six sockets
Kitchens with a lounge
Six sockets suitably located within the
kitchen plus four in the lounge area
Living rooms
Four sockets
Four sockets
Electrical Appliances
All appliances provided as part of the tenancy in an HMO must be safe and in
good repair, they must be suitable and only used for the intended purpose. An
electrical safety inspection (sometimes referred to as a PAT test) by an
approved electrical engineer will need to be carried out every three years or
more frequently if the tenancy changes.
Tenancy management
The Department’s HMO Licensing and Enforcement Team strive to ensure
that proper standards of tenancy management exist.
The Scottish Government puts major emphasis on issues of tenancy
management and this Council has adopted these benchmark standards as
they are fair and reasonable.
The Council’s ‘Enforcement and Licensing Team' may visit residents within
property or block of flats and may require to meet separately with the
applicant or their agent.
Applicants and/or their agent must keep accurate rent records. The
Enforcement and Licensing Team will want to see and approve the format of
how these records are kept.
Tenancy agreements used by an applicant or agent must be approved for
use, and sample leases that meet the requirements of the Licensing Scheme
are available from the City of Edinburgh Council website free of charge.
The Private Rented Services Team also gives advice to both landlords and
tenants on their respective rights and obligations.
Lothian and Borders Police
All licence applications will be circulated to Lothian and Borders Police who
will advise the Council if you have any convictions which may impact on
whether that you should be granted a licence.
Any convictions whether listed on the application form or not, will be
Neighbourhood objections and complaints
Neighbours may raise an objection to a new or renewal application should
they consider the landlord or manager is not a fit and proper person, or the
premises are not suitable for use as an HMO.
In addition, neighbours may complain at any time to the Council should they
consider an existing licensed HMO:
is causing undue public nuisance or threat to public order or safety
the landlord or the manager is no longer a fit or proper person.
All written objections should be sent to:
The Licensing Section, The City of Edinburgh Council, 249 High Street,
Edinburgh EH1 1YJ.
Complainants and objectors will receive at least seven days notice should
they wish to appear and be given the opportunity to speak to the Regulatory
All written complaints should be sent to: The Enforcement and Licensing
Section, The City of Edinburgh Council, Chesser House, Level 3: East Wing,
500 Gorgie Road, Edinburgh, EH11 3YJ.
The decision process
Your HMO application will be considered within three months and the Council
has to make a final decision on your application within 12 months.
The extended period is to allow applicants additional time to obtain any
permissions or to carry out necessary work that may be required before the
licence is granted. Should the 12-month period be insufficient, the Council
may in exceptional circumstances apply to the court to extend the licensing
period. This is only likely to happen if you have arranged for an extensive
amount of work to be carried out.
Applications that meet the standards and do not attract any local objections
will be granted and the licence will be sent to you.
Applications will only require to be heard by the Licensing Sub-Committee of
the Regulatory Committee where:
1. objections have been received
2. the property does not meet the standards
3. the completed site notice has not been returned to the Licensing
The inspection report will detail any works needed to comply with the
The Licensing Sub-Committee meets monthly. Should your application need
to be heard, a letter will be sent inviting you, or your representative the
opportunity to attend.
You will also be sent copies of all papers and objections to the application the
Committee will be considering.
Issue of licence
Within 7 days of grant of licence you will receive a letter confirming the terms
and conditions on which the licence has been granted and advising you of any
right of appeal to the court.
Once the licence document is received by you, you should arrange to display
the licence and a set of standard conditions attached to it in a prominent
position within the premises.
Neighbour Notification
The letter sent to you will also detail how to comply with a new condition
which has been introduced by the Council requiring you to notify the grant of
licence to every occupier of premises within the same building and the
occupiers of all premises and adjoining buildings which share a common wall
with your premises.
You will be provided with a style of notice and you will have to provide your
neighbours with the name of yourself of your managing agent, a contact
address and daytime telephone contact number and an emergency telephone
number. You will have to give notice within 21 days of receiving your license
and will have to confirm to the Licensing Section that your neighbours have
been duly notified.
HMO Licensing Appeals
When a decision on your application has been made a letter will be sent to
you informing you that your licence has been either:
granted or
The letter will also advise you that you have the right to appeal to the Sheriff
Court against the Council's decision.
You may also appeal against any of the terms and conditions attached to the
licence without appealing against the grant of the licence itself.
If you are considering an Appeal you should request a statement
of reasons in writing for the Council's decision. This request must
be made within 28 days of the decision being made. Within 10
days of the request, the Council will provide you with a statement
of reasons which can then be used to Appeal to the Sheriff.
Any Appeal must be lodged within 28 days of a decision being
taken by the Council.
An appeal is only competent if the person making it has followed
every procedure made available for stating a case to the local
authority in relation to the decision being appealed.
The Sheriff can reverse or confirm the Council's decision or send
the application back to the council for reconsideration.
If you are in a position where you are considering an appeal to the
Sheriff you should consult a Solicitor or Citizens Advice Bureau for
further information.
HMO Planning and Building Warrant Guidance
Building permission
Landlords must ensure that the relevant planning permission and/or building
warrant have been obtained where necessary.
Certificate of Lawful Use
A licence is unlikely to be granted unless it has been established that the
premises has planning permission or a certificate of lawful use or that
permission is not required.
Planning permission is not required to change the use of a dwelling house to
a House in Multiple Occupation for five or less persons. This approach also
applies, in general to flatted accommodation, although in smaller properties,
proposals involving more than four people living together may be considered
to constitute a House in Multiple Occupation. For smaller properties, factors to
be considered include whether the character of the existing use of the
premises will be materially altered having regard to the intensity of use in
relation to the size of the property concerned.
For advice on planning applications and certificates of lawful use, call the
Planning Help Desk on 0131 529 3550 or e-mail: [email protected]
Listed Building Consent
If your building is listed, the works you are carrying out may require listed
building consent. The listing applies to the whole building, including the
interior, and it is important that any fabric of historic or architectural interest is
not affected.
Works such as the insertion of smoke detectors and sprinkler systems,
fireproofing doors and fanlights and other upgrading measures required for
your licence, may require listed building consent. Proposals should be
discussed with the listed buildings Section at an early stage. You will normally
be asked to write in with details of the works to allow an assessment to be
For further information on listed buildings, call 0131 529 3550 or e-mail:
[email protected]
Planning Enforcement
Planning authorities have discretion when they take enforcement action. In
exercising these powers authorities have to consider the provisions of the
development plan, to determine whether the breach of planning control
unacceptably affects public amenity or interest. Enquiries should be made in
For information about planning enforcement, call 0131 529 3911 or fax 0131
529 6207.
For general planning enquiries contact: City Development, Planning,
Waverley Court, 4 East Market Street, Edinburgh, EH8 8BG. Tel: 0131 529
3550 or e-mail: [email protected]
Building Warrant
Where a property has more than six residents, a Building Warrant for change
of use may be required.
Unauthorised alterations to a property may also require a Building Warrant
and a Certificate of Completion.
Properties requiring a Building Warrant will have to comply with the Building
Regulations in addition to the HMO Benchmark Standards.
Most properties, which will be affected by the licensing legislation will have no
more than six residents. Therefore the Council will apply the Benchmark
Standards which are contained in the Scottish Executive booklet ‘Guidance on
Mandatory Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation'. However, it may be
possible to achieve an equivalent level of accommodation or safety through
measures other than those stated in the Benchmark Standards, and
alternatives will be considered. In most cases a Building Warrant will not be
For more information on building warrants and the application of technical
standards, call Property Management on 0131 529 4622.
Annex A
Revised HMO property standards – Adopted 9 March 2012
 The table below only informs of where changes in physical property standards are proposed as a result of the 2011 Guidance.
 Where a proposed CEC standard deviates from the 2011 Guidance it is in bold with a justification comment.
 The 2006 Act does not distinguish between new and renewal HMO licence applications therefore, for the avoidance of doubt, our
description of ‘New’ applications relates to applications where no existing licence is in force and /or where there is a material change in
circumstances relevant to the physical property standards and level of occupancy. This is referred to in the ‘Date of Introduction’
Proposed Standard
Current Standard
Date of Introduction
Space Heating
s. 4.5.3 – 4.5.6
Each bedroom and living room should have a
fixed controllable space heating appliance
Each bedroom and living room
should have a fixed space heating
After 31.3.12 - All
Detection of
Carbon Monoxide
s.4.5.7 – 4.5.11
In a smaller dwelling, the boiler should be capable
of being controlled from a communal area.
Alternatively in larger establishments, such as
university halls of residence, a centrally controlled
system would be more appropriate.
At the time of the next
licence application.
There must be installed a CO alarm which meets
the requirements of BS EN 50291:2001 in the
same room as any gas appliance. Alarms should
be powered by a battery designed to operate for
the working life of the alarm. Such alarms should
incorporate a warning device to alert users when
the working life is due to pass.
After 31.3.12 - All
Page 1 of 8
Proposed Standard
Current Standard
Date of Introduction
Any lighting point serving a stair within an HMO
should have controlling switches adjacent to the
staircase at each storey or a suitable alternative
such as energy efficient PIR (passive infrared
sensors) or central control via a timer.
Any lighting point serving a stair
After 31.3.12 - All
within an HMO should have
controlling switches at each storey.
Any ceiling strip light unit within the HMO must be
fitted with a proper diffuser/cover.
At the time of the next
licence application.
In order to prevent the risk of electric shock and
damage to electrical wiring due to condensation
all bathrooms and shower rooms should be
provided with an IPX4 rated light fitting if it is
required in accordance with current regulations.
Where an IPX4 rated light fitting is required but is
not present, it is strongly suggested that
authorities consider the inclusion of a licence
condition to the effect that one must be fitted
within a specified timescale.
Apply to all EICRs carried
out after 31.3.12
Page 2 of 8
Proposed Standard
Current Standard
Date of Introduction
Kitchen facilities
One sink with integral drainer for a maximum of 5
persons. Every sink must be provided with an
adequate piped supply of hot and cold water.
One sink for every six people, with
integral drainers.
After 31.3.12 - New
Applications Only
A cold water supply to every sink which is a
wholesome water supply, direct from the rising
main, suitable for drinking and other domestic
A minimum of 1 cubic metre of storage for a
maximum of 5 people. An additional 0.2 cubic
metres of storage for each person above 5 people
should be provided. In addition to this there
must be sufficient storage space for cleaning
materials, pots/pans, crockery and glassware.
NB. The 2011 standard is commensurate with our
current standards as long as we also require
sufficient storage space for pots/ pans, cleaning
materials, crockery and glassware.
Sufficient drawer space for the storage of cutlery
and other cooking utensils
After 31.3.12 All applications
One cupboard per occupant for the After 31.3.12 - New
storage of dry foods and thereafter Applications Only
sufficient storage space for
cleaning materials, pots/pans,
crockery and glassware.
After 31.3.12 - New
Applications Only
Page 3 of 8
Proposed Standard
Current Standard
Date of Introduction
Kitchen facilities
Impervious work surface space of 2m length for
three people, and for any people above that
number an additional 60cm should be provided
per person. This is an overall allocation which
should provide appropriate space for items such
as kettles or microwaves which are not specific to
an individual.
2.5 linear metres of work surface
for up tp four people plus a further
0.5 metres for each additional
After 31.3.12 - New
Applications Only
1 reasonable size refrigerator and 1 reasonable
size freezer for a maximum of 5 persons. The
freezer need not be sited within the kitchen.
Adequate food storage for the
number of occupants
After 31.3.12 - New
Applications Only
1 cooker with oven, grill and 4 cooking plates or
rings for a maximum of 5 persons.
One cooker for every six people.
After 31.3.12 - New
Applications Only
Cookers provided with the associated activity
space shown in Annexe A (of the new guidance)
and 300mm worktop width available on both
Cookers should be provided with
the associated activity space
shown in Annex C (of the previous
After 31.3.12 - New
Applications Only
Where cooking is carried out in a bedsitting room,
a cooker, sink with drainer and adequate worktop.
Adequate worktop in a bedsitting room with a
cooker, sink and drainer should be based on a
minimum of 900mm with a minimum of 300mm
each side of the cooker.
After 31.3.12 - New
Applications Only
Page 4 of 8
Proposed Standard
Sanitary facilities, There would be expected to be:
one WC for a maximum of 5 persons and
water and
one bath or shower for a maximum of 5 persons.
Access doors to sanitary and bathing facilities
would be expected to be fitted with a suitable
locking mechanism to ensure privacy. Obscure
glazing would be expected to be provided where
relevant to ensure privacy.
Space and layout
Floor space would be expected to only be counted
where there is a ceiling height of at least 1.5m.
This means that, for example, attic bedrooms with
coombed ceilings still need to provide a
reasonable usable floor space.
Gas and
electrical safety
Evidence must be supplied to the effect that an
annual gas safety check has been carried out on
all gas appliances by a Gas Safe registered
Current Standard
Date of Introduction
There should be:
one WC for every 5 people and
one bath or shower for every 6
After 31.3.12 - New
Applications Only
After 31.3.12 - All
After 31.3.12 - New
Applications Only
The Landlord must have an annual
gas safety check carried out on all
gas appliances by a Gas Safe
registered gas installer.
After 31.3.12 - All
Page 5 of 8
Proposed Standard
Current Standard
Date of Introduction
Gas and
electrical safety
Authorities should be satisfied that the EICR
certificate is up to date (these must be renewed
at least every 5 years, or earlier as directed by
the approved electrical contractor).
The Landlord should be required to
provide certification to show that the
electrical system and any appliances
provided by the Landlord have been
examined by a competent person
who has confirmed they are
functioning properly and are safe.
Such an examination should be
carried out at least once every 3
Apply to all EICRs carried
out after 31.3.12, other than
those where the electrician
has specified a shorter
Authorities should be satisfied that the PAT
Certificate is up to date (these must be renewed
at least annually, or earlier as directed by the
approved electrical contractor).
As above.
Apply to all PATs carried out
after 31.3.12 and those
existing PATs which are over
twelve months old.
A current Portable Appliance Test (PAT)
Certificate must be held for all plug in
appliances owned by the HMO owner. It should
show whether the item passed or failed.
Currently no reference to "plug-in" Apply to all PATs carried out
PAT cert. should after 31.3.12
confirm appliances are "functioning
properly and are safe."
The number of electrical socket outlets available
for occupier use would be expected to meet at
least the following minimum requirements:
6 in each kitchen
6 in each bedroom and living room
4 additional sockets anywhere in the
The number of electrical socket
outlets should meet at least the
following minimum requirements:
After 31.3.12 All applications.
6 in each kitchen
4 in each bedroom and living room
4 additional sockets anywhere in the
Page 6 of 8
Proposed Standard
Current Standard
Date of Introduction
Gas and
electrical safety
These sockets should be easily accessible.
Other outlets may be inaccessible, for example
those for white goods.
Noise reduction
Noise is a significant source of complaints
about HMOs from neighbours, and some
physical aspects of the property can add to the
problems. Local authorities should therefore
be satisfied that appropriate measures have
been taken to minimise noise nuisance, such
as the installation of items such as door
closers and extractor fans, and ‘deafening’
under the floors.
Landlords should be encouraged to
consider ways of minimising noise
nuisance in relation to the choice and
installation of items such as door
closers and extract fans, for example.
After 31.3.12 - New
Applications Only
For flats with downstairs neighbours, any floor
surfaces with exposed wooden floor boards,
laminate, hard wood floorings or tiled floor
finishes must be provided, in living areas, with
a fitted carpet with good quality underlay and,
in kitchen or bathroom areas, with good quality
cushioned flooring such as vinyl.
NB. The 2011 Guidance advises that local
authorities should consider requiring this due
to the significant level of neighbour complaint
from this source in HMO properties.
Following complaints/objections the
landlord may be required to lay fitted
carpets with good quality underlay.
To be applied to all
Applications where
appropriate and sufficient
time to be given for
introduction into existing
To coincide with the above.
Page 7 of 8
Proposed Standard
Space and
The minimum width of a bedroom should be
Local authorities will take account of the
property layouts available in their area in
arriving at what they consider to be reasonable
space where rooms are combined. This should
not just be an issue of size, but also consider
shape and layout in considering what
represents an adequate standard.
The living area within a kitchen/living room
must achieve the following standard :3 - 5 persons 8 sq. metres and 1.5 sq. metres
per person thereafter
Current Standard
Date of Introduction
After 31.3.12 - New
Applications Only
The communal living area within the
After 31.3.12 - New
kitchen/living room must achieve a
Applications Only
minimum of 6 sq. metres for up to four
people with a further 1.5 sq. metres for
each additional occupant
Page 8 of 8