Campus Life 2015/2016

Campus Life
Welcome Note and Code of
Practice information
Important Information
- Action in an Emergency
- Useful Contacts
Offer of Accommodation
- Accommodation Fees
- How to Pay
- Notice of Termination
- Distance Selling Regulations
- Your Accommodation
– Catered Accommodation - Possessions Insurance
Health, Safety and Security
- Cooking Safely
- Electrical/Heating Appliances
and Safety
- Useful Kitchen Information
- Security and CCTV
- Immobilise Database
- Lock-out Procedure and
Lost Keys/Access Cards
- Building Works
General Accommodation
- What We Provide
- What You Need to Bring
- Please DO NOT Bring
- Utility Supplies
- Maintenance – Damage,
Faults and Disrepair
- Mail Delivery and Advance
Parcels - Cleaning Services
- Laundry Services
Environment and Sustainability
- Energy, Environment and
- What Are We Doing to Reduce
Utility Usage?
- How Can You Help
- Refuse Collection and
- Transport
Good Neighbour Policy
Student Welfare and Support
Student Support Services
Illness, Accidents and Injury
Resident Tutor Service
Absence From Residences
Confidentiality Policy
Complaints Procedure and
- Complaints Procedure
- Campus Map
- City Campus Map
Residential Rules 34
- Residential Rules
- Accommodation Smoking
Disciplinary Code
- Procedure for Student Living in
University Accommodation
- Investigative Interview
- Rights of Appeal/Appeals
- Damage to University Property
- Damage to University
- Breaches of Health & Safety
Regulations and Damage to
Fire & Safety Equipment
- Disciplinary Code Flow Chart
of Procedures.
On behalf of everyone in the department
of Accommodation and Hospitality
Services, I would like to welcome you
to the University of Bath. We hope that
your stay in residences is enjoyable and
that you are successful in your chosen
area of study.
Moving into a new home can be quite
stressful, so this booklet is designed to
provide you with all the information and
contact details you need should you
require any assistance or advice. It also
sets out your rights and responsibilities
during your stay. As your landlord,
the University has a responsibility to
provide you with a good standard of
accommodation and service. In return
you are expected to show respect
for this accommodation and for your
fellow students and local residents
living around you. Please ensure you
have read this booklet carefully before
accepting your room offer.
Jane Loveys
Campus Life
University accommodation is popular
because it is convenient and provides
good value for money. We strive to create
a happy atmosphere for the benefit of
all residents. Restrictions are kept to a
minimum, but for the health & safety of all
concerned, there are regulations to ensure
good order, to preserve the building and to
maintain standards. By accepting a place in
University accommodation, you are agreeing
to abide by all the Statutes, Ordinances,
Regulations and Rules of the University, as
well as to comply with the general guidelines
contained herein.
Campus Accommodation includes:
Woodland Court, The Quads, Marlborough
and Solsbury Court, Westwood (Quantock,
Conygre, Cotswold, Derhill, Wolfson, Quarry
and Mendip), Brendon Court, Norwood,
Eastwood Houses, Polden Court,
Osborne House and The Lodge.
City Accommodation includes:
John Wood Court, John Wood Main
Building, Carpenter House, Pulteney Court,
Thornbank Gardens, Clevelands Buildings
and Canal Wharf.
Director of Accommodation & Hospitality
Code of Practice
The University of Bath, along with the
majority of Higher Education establishments,
has signed up to the “Universities UK/
Standing Conference of Principals (SCOP)
Code of Practice for the Management
of Student Housing”. This outlines best
practice and provides benchmarks for the
management and quality of student housing
in the sector.
All information is correct at the time of
going to press, but changes to services and
facilities may be made from time to time
without notice.
The University reserves the right to withdraw
or change services included in this brochure.
All rights reserved.
Accommodation code
We operate our student accommodation On Campus
and at City Campus locations in accordance with the
Student Accommodation Code.
Important information...
Action in an Emergency
On campus – In the event of an emergency
dial extension 666 on an internal telephone
or 01225 383999 from a mobile phone.
City campus – In the event of an
emergency dial 01225 383999.
The call will be answered by either the
Switchboard or the Security Office.
They will:
•Take the details of the accident/incident
from you and summon the emergency
•Initiate a first aid response (dispatch a
first aider or other assistance to the site
and arrange for the emergency services
to be met as they arrive).
Having made an emergency call:
•Watch for the arrival of the first aid
response and emergency services.
•Listen for calls as the emergency services
may wish to contact them to offer advice
or seek clarification.
Useful Contacts
All internal extension numbers listed below
are preceded by +44 (0)1225 38****
East Accommodation Centre
Location: Woodland Court
Extn: 4111
West Accommodation Centre
Location: Westwood, in front of Quantock
Extn: 5883
City Accommodation Centre
Location: John Wood Complex
Extn: 8518
Accommodation Operations
West Team
Polden Court, Mendip, Quarry, Conygre,
Quantock, Cotswold, Derhill
Extn: 5188, 4651 or 5777
Norwood House, Osborne House and
The Lodge (part-time cover)
Extn: 4651 or 5489
Management of Residences
Email enquiries: To email the Student Accommodation office please visit
and complete the online enquiry form.
Extn: 3111
West Team
Polden Court, Mendip, Quarry, Conygre,
Quantock, Cotswold, Derhill
Extn: 5188 or 5777
Brendon Court and Wolfson Terrace
Extn: 5188 or 5585
Director of Accommodation & Hospitality:
Jane Loveys
Student Accommodation Experience
Matthew Waldron
Accommodation Operations Manager:
Felicity Walker
East Team
Eastwood Houses 1 – 51
Extn: 5530 or 5670
Norwood House, Osborne House and
The Lodge
Extn: 5530 or 5489
Marlborough Court, Solsbury Court
and Woodland Court
Extn: 5078, 6716 or 5270
Marlborough and Solsbury Court
The Quads
Extn: 4651, 3699, 3043 or 4202
The Quads A, B & C and Norwood
Resident Tutors – City Campus
City Team
Clevelands Building and Canal Wharf
Carpenter House
Extn: 8707
Pulteney Court
Clevelands and Canal Wharf
Extn: 8507
Carpenter House
John Wood Complex
Tel: 01225 317506
John Wood Complex
Pulteney Court
Tel: 01225 444163
Thornbank Gardens
Thornbank Gardens
Tel: 01225 469674
Security Office:
On Campus
(Main foyer of the Library)
Welfare, Health, Safety and Discipline
Extn: 5349
Student Accommodation Welfare and
Support Manager (SAWSM)
Dr Abhishek Upadhyay
City Campus Coordinator
Tel: 07891 790052
Campus life team
Tel: 01225 430201
Medical Centre:
Quarry House, North Road
Extn: 6655
Resident Tutors - On Campus
Quarry, Mendip, Conygre, Quantock, Polden
Cotswold, Derhill, Wolfson, Brendon,
Lodge, Osborne
Woodland Court, The Quads D&E
Eastwood Houses 1-51
Maintenance faults and repairs required
within residences should be reported
on-line at:
Please retain the reference number for any
future enquiries
Estates Help Desk
Location: Estates Office Extn: 3232
Offer of Accommodation
Accommodation fees are set on an annual
basis after consultation with the Students’
Union and ratification by the General
Finance Committee. Fees for 2015-2016
can be found
accommodation/types &
• Please note that the dates of the letting
periods are not the same as the
academic session dates. All prices
quoted include data connection and
utility costs, i.e. costs for water, heating
and lighting, and core possessions
In order to confirm the room allocation,
postgraduates and returning
Undergraduates are required to make a
prepayment of £400 when they accept
their accommodation contract.
Refund of prepayment; New Overseas/
Home/EU Postgraduates - Providing
we are notified before the 19th
September 2015 this prepayment can be
refunded in full should the student be
unable to take their place in Bath due
to VISA problems or failure to meet the
conditions of their course offer.
• All other accounts are payable by the first
day of the letting period.
• Acceptance of a place implies that a
student will remain in residence for the
duration of the contracted period.
All students should note that liability
for payment of accommodation fees will
commence once a place has been
formally accepted by successfully
completing the online-acceptance, or completing and returning the “off-line”
acceptance documentation,
or taking possession of the keys
or taking possession of the accommodation, whichever is the first.
• Any bank charges incurred by the
University as a result of payments not
being honoured by the payee’s bank will
be the responsibility of the student/
• Please note we will charge a £25 penalty for failed Direct Debit or cheque payments
Payment of student accommodation
fees made by credit card will incur an
additional fee of 1% of the total
transaction value.
How to Pay
Various options are detailed at:
accommodation/how-to-pay or
Notice of Termination
Students moving to private
accommodation during the 2015/2016
academic year
A request to leave your place in
residence must be made in writing
using the appropriate form, which
is obtainable from and returned to the
Student Accommodation Office in the
West Accommodation Centre.
There is only one automatic release
date from the Accommodation Contract.
Permission to leave the accommodation
part way through the licence on 27th
January 2016 will only be granted if at
least 6 weeks’ notice is given (deadline
16th December 2015) If a student chooses
to leave the accommodation at any other
time, then he/she will be responsible for
the accommodation fees until the end of
the contract unless an eligible replacement
tenant is arranged with the consent of the
Student Accommodation office.
It is not permitted to sub-let or to allow other
students to live in rooms without the formal
permission of the Student Accommodation
Summer English Language students
There is no early release date within
the summer Pre-sessional and ELAC
accommodation contracts but if withdrawing
from study for medical reasons or on
compassionate grounds some flexibility will
be applied. In such case we would seek
verification from the Academic Skills Centre.
A notice of early departure form would
need to be completed, please collect this
from the West Accommodation Centre.If
you choose to leave our accommodation at
any other time and move to private sector
accommodation then you will be responsible
for the accommodation fees until officially
released by the Student Accommodation
Students in suspension or withdrawing
from their course during the 2015/2016
academic year
Students who suspend or withdraw
from their course early will be liable for a
termination charge equivalent to four weeks
rent from the date they leave residence.
It should be noted that such students are
expected to vacate their rooms within two
weeks of their suspension or withdrawal
date. The West Accommodation Centre
must be contacted in person for the relevant
authorisation and forms to be completed.
Distance Selling
Information relating to accommodation
Under the Consumer Protection (Distance
Selling) Regulations 2000, we are required
to provide you with the following information
if we have not met you before entering into
a contract (accommodation agreement)
with you.
The name of the supplier of your
accommodation is The University of Bath
and its address is:
Student Accommodation Office,
West Accommodation Centre,
The University
of Bath, BATH, BA2 7AY.
If you have any queries to do with this
contract please contact: fax:
+44 (0) 1225 386474
The services, which we will be supplying
to you are a furnished study bedroom
on a self-catering basis or catered basis
according to your contract. Details of the
contract period, together with details of the
utilities and services included are set out in
your accommodation contract.
The price of the accommodation will be
stated on your contract, so please check
that is what you are willing to pay before
you proceed. The price includes all charges
for utilities (gas, electricity and water) and
internet where indicated in the brochure,
but not external telephone services.
Offer of Accommodation
The arrangements for payment are set
out at:
accommodation/how-to-pay or
how-to-pay but, in summary, although
payment for the year is due in advance
you can pay by three or four instalments
according to the length of your contract.
The exact amount due each session
and the payment date is stated on your
accommodation contract or you can obtain
details from the Student Accommodation
If we have not met you before you enter into
your accommodation agreement, you have
the right to cancel your contract by giving us
written (by email, fax or post) notice within
7 working days, beginning on the day after
the date the contract (accommodation
agreement) becomes binding. The date the
contract becomes binding is the date when
your agreement to the terms and conditions
of the contract is received online by the
Your right to cancel does not apply once we
have started to provide the accommodation
to you: after you move in, it is too late to
There is no extra charge for booking your
accommodation by post or other means of
distance communication.
The offer of accommodation and the price
remain valid until the deadline stated in your
offer letter but after that date the offer of
accommodation will automatically lapse if
you have not accepted it.
The minimum duration of the contract is
for the letting period, but we will release
you early from the contract if another
student who is reasonably acceptable to the
University (e.g. someone who is not already
in University accommodation) takes up a
tenancy in your place. However, you will
remain liable for the accommodation charges
until the replacement takes over. Full details
of our termination policy can be viewed at:
Your Accommodation
An accommodation offer is made
subject to your correct confirmation to our Admissions office of the course you will be attending and subject to
you agreeing to abide by all the Statutes,
Ordinances, Regulations and rules of the
University, including Regulation 10.3,
which relates to the use of computing
facilities, for the time being in force.
It is important that you have read
and understood the accommodation
terms & conditions in this Campus Life
Brochure. Any queries should be
directed to the Student Accommodation
Office. Full University Regulations may
be viewed at
Accommodation is offered to you for
the period shown on the accommodation
contract (Error & Omission Excepted).
The accommodation charges are
consistent with the course, year, letting
and room details specified. Should any
of these details prove to be incorrect,
for any reason, the University reserves
the right to amend the accommodation
fees as appropriate.
If you accept this offer, you will be
allocated to the room indicated on the
contract. Please note you are being
offered a place in residence, and not
a specific room. The University reserves
the right to vary room allocations both
prior to and after arrival as necessary for
the purposes of good management of
the residences.
schedule. Catering is only charged for 33
weeks out of the 38 week contract.
Customer service staff will check the photo
ID on the library card at the point of sale,
therefore it is not possible for the card to be
used by anyone other than the card holder.
• When you accept the offer of
accommodation, you provide payment
details in order to confirm the reservation.
Checking your balance
Each time you use the card at the till you can
check your balance. If you have insufficient
credit on your card you will have to pay the
outstanding balance with cash.
If a vacancy occurs within a kitchen
group, the University reserves the right
to fill the vacancy without prior
consultation with the existing residents.
Transferring credit
Credit can be carried over to the following
term but is non-transferable at the end of the
If there is a vacant room within a kitchen group the University reserves the
right to use this for viewing purposes on Departmental open days or other
such events.
Any refund will be subject to our normal
termination policy (
accommodation/fees/leaving) and according
to the amount of credit already spent.
Catered Accommodation
Students living in Polden Court, Brendon
Court and The Quads have a compulsory
catering component within their rent.
Under Polden Court and Brendon Court,
the Eat and Drink student card, students
will have their library card loaded with
£55 value for a cost of £50 per week.
This is provided in installments in line with
the accommodation payment schedule.
Catering is only charged for 33 weeks out of
the 38 week contract.
Under The Quads, the Eat and Drink student
card, students will have their library card
loaded with £27.50 value for a cost of £25
per week. This is provided in installments,
in line with the accommodation payment
Lost Cards
You must report any lost cards by emailing: to immediately
remove authorisation and prevent theft.
Please inform us of your new library card
number so we can transfer your existing
credit balance onto your new library card.
Possessions Insurance
The University does not accept
responsibility for loss or theft of
or damage to residents’ or other
individual’s property. The University has
arranged a core possessions insurance
policy to cover your possessions whilst you
are living in University Accommodation on a
full-time contract. Your possessions are not
covered whilst in transit or when transferring
between rooms.
Offer of Accommodation
What you need to do after accepting
your accommodation contract:
To review your cover visit
This provides details for your chosen
accommodation and the cover
provided by the University.
We strongly advise you to judge your
insurance needs and extend the cover
accordingly. Please note that uninsured
losses cannot be recovered. You may
need to extend your cover for the
following items:
• Mobile phones.
• Accidental damage.
• Possessions away from your
• Course fees cover.
• Legal expenses.
You are strongly advised not to keep large
sums of cash in your room.
How to make a claim?
In the event of an insurance claim, residents
Report the incident to the police (in the
event of theft, accidental loss or
malicious damage) and obtain a crime
reference number.
To obtain a claim form, either;
• Download a claim form from
• Or, telephone Endsleigh’s claims team
on 0870 241 6103.
The completed claim form, plus any
supporting evidence of loss, should then
be forwarded to the insurers at the address
listed on the claim form.
Endsleigh Insurance contact details:
Phone (General Enquiries): 0800 032 7081
Claims Enquiries: 0870 241 6103
Health, Safety and Security
Health and Safety
• To achieve the necessary standards of
Health and Safety a positive commitment
is required from all members of the
University. It is the responsibility, under the
Health and Safety at Work legislation, of
every member of staff and every student
or other person working or resident on
University premises to ensure that they
do not, except where it is unavoidable,
create hazards for themselves or others.
All reasonable steps should be taken to
eliminate or minimise such hazards and
any item causing a hazard or obstruction
shall be removed without prior notice and
a charge made for the reasonable costs
of removal and any storage which may be
incurred by the University.
•All employees and residents will take all
reasonable steps to ensure that their own
health and safety and that of anyone else
who may be affected by their actions is
not compromised in any way. All works
undertaken in University residences must
be carried out by a competent, approved
contractor, engaged and controlled
by the University’s Accommodation
and Hospitality Services or Estates
•All employees and residents agree
specifically to take all reasonable steps
to keep all passageways, stairways, exits
and fire exits in University residences clear
of obstruction and combustible materials
at all times. In addition all residents are
responsible for taking all reasonable
steps to ensure that no rubbish, or any
other material of any kind is placed or
left to create any obstruction in the sinks,
bath, showers, lavatories, cisterns or any
other pipe or water course on residential
All communal areas including stairwells,
passageways, exits must be kept clean
at all times. Any personal belongings
must be stored in study bedrooms in a
tidy manner.
Fire Safety - Prevention
and Advice
Your Role
It is vital that you do not act in a way
which will compromise the safety or
general wellbeing of other occupants, staff
or members of the local community. In
particular, but not exclusively, you should
be aware that breaches of our Smoking
Policy and misuse or damage of fire safety
equipment (including alerting devices,
extinguishers, etc.) are treated as a
potential criminal offence and anyone found
responsible for such behaviour will not only
be subject to disciplinary procedures but
could also be liable to prosecution from the
appropriate authorities.
Fire Precautions
•Propping open of fire doors is strictly
•Information on fire assembly points is
provided in bedrooms, kitchens and final
exits. Every resident should know the
whereabouts of the fire exit, escape route
and alarm point nearest to his/her room.
•Students should familiarise themselves
with the fire precaution rules and will
occasionally be required to take part in
fire drills.
• Fire extinguishers and fire blankets
are provided for your safety and must
never be touched except for a genuine
Health, Safety and Security
fire. If an extinguisher or blanket is used
for any reason, please report it to the
Accommodation Centres immediately.
•Damage or improper use of fire alarms,
escape devices, smoke detectors or
extinguishers, the propping open of fire
doors, or failure to adhere to evacuation
procedures, will be regarded as a serious
offence and will result in University
disciplinary action being taken.
•Smoke detectors fitted near the kitchens
and in the corridors are very sensitive
and if activated, whether by accident
or not, may call out the Fire Brigade.
Residents should never tamper with
smoke detectors or smoke in their
immediate vicinity. Since kitchen vapours
or steam from showers can easily set off
the detectors NEVER leave your kitchen
or bathroom door open or tamper with
ventilation facilities. Please open windows
to ventilate these areas.
Cooking Safely
•Operate appliances as per instructions
• Never leave cookers or microwaves
on and unattended.
•Do not allow a build-up of grease on
cookers or grill pans. Residents are
responsible for keeping them clean.
•Do not close oven doors whilst grilling
or before the grill has adequately cooled
•Personal BBQs and the storage
of flammable materials/liquids are
prohibited. Official BBQ equipment and
materials can be hired from Resident
Tutors (subject to availability during the
summer term only).
Appliances and Safety
• P
ortable fan heaters, electric
fires, paraffin/oil heaters and gas
appliances are strictly prohibited
within the residences at any time.
•All portable electrical appliances supplied
within the residences by the University
are tested in accordance with the
appropriate published guidelines.
Residents are responsible for ensuring
that any portable electric appliance
that they choose to bring into, and or
use within University accommodation
is in a safe and fully operable condition.
Students must ensure that all plugs
are fused and equipment conforms to
the appropriate British Standards with
the CE mark. Where used European
plugs and adapters must also conform
to the appropriate British Standards.
In the interests of health and safety the
use of thirteen (13) amp socket adapter
plugs is not permitted. If additional
socket outlets are necessary, the use of
purpose-manufactured, tough rubber/
PVC enclosed, fused trailing sockets
conforming to the appropriate British
Standards are permitted. The main lead
to a trailing socket must be a recognised
insulated and sheathed flexible cable.
The use of rubber fabric covered cables
is forbidden. In all cases there should
only be one appliance or one fused
trailing socket connected to any mains
wall socket in University residences.
•The University reserves the right to
remove any such appliance which
it considers to be prejudicial to the
health and safety of occupants. The
right to remove any appliance will only
be exercised where the University
reasonably considers it appropriate.
The owner or keeper of such an
appliance will be advised via University
email accordingly, and required to either
make appropriate repairs or remove the
appliance from site immediately. Please
note that we are unable to accept any
terms of bailment and will not be
responsible for the upkeep of your
•Students may not affix, install or use
additional, temporary or permanent
lighting within University accommodation,
with the sole exception of the use of freestanding desk lamps in study bedrooms.
Where such free-standing desk lamps
are used, all due care must be taken to
ensure they are not placed adjacent to
potentially flammable items or materials.
•Students must not tamper with any
cable, switch, pipe or other equipment
or fitting connected with the supply of
electricity or water or with any electrical
or other supply apparatus to include
the trunking, cabling, machinery and
equipment associated with wall sockets,
the supply of heat, ventilation (and light),
the Student Telephony and ResNet
It is possible to accidentally overload the
electrical supply to your room (maximum
5 amps), causing the fuse to “blow”. The
“trip” switch may be situated in your room
and can be simply re-set, once you have
disconnected the electrical items that
are causing the overload. If the trip still
cuts out even after reducing the electrical
current being drawn, please report it to
the nearest Accommodation Centre who
will get the supply checked by a qualified
•Disciplinary action for breaches of health
& safety and damage to fire & safety
equipment – Please see Page 38.
Useful Information for
Operating Guide & Useful information for
Kitchen Equipment.
Please also log onto www.studentcooking.
tv/bath for further useful information.
Electric Cooker Safety tips:
• Turn off at the mains before cleaning.
•Ensure the oven, grill and hotplate are
sufficiently cool before you start cleaning.
•DO NOT close the grill door with the grill
pan inside unless the grill is fully
cooled, as this melts the grill pan handle
and could cause a fire.
•Never leave a pan unattended on the
•Never leave food cooking under the grill
•DO NOT cook food directly on oven
shelves, please use a baking tray or similar.
Efficiency tips:
•Cook small items in the microwave oven
or under the grill.
•When cooking vegetables, use a small
amount of water and put a lid on the pan.
•Always match the size of pan to the
cooker ring.
•Never use your cooker to heat the
Health, Safety and Security
•Lining the grill pan with foil makes
cleaning easier.
Microwave oven safety tips:
•The roller guide and oven floor should be
cleaned regularly.
•The roller guide must always be used for
cooking, together with the glass tray.
DO NOT operate without the glass tray
in place.
•If glass tray is hot, allow to cool before
cleaning or placing it in water.
•Only use utensils that are suitable for use
in microwave ovens. DO NOT use: metal
dishes or freezer bag ties, china which is
decorated with a metal rim.
•Polystyrene containers should only be
used to warm food, as overheating may
cause the polystyrene to melt.
•ARCING is the term for sparks in the
microwave. Arcing is caused by metal,
such as freezer bag ties or metal plates,
in the microwave. If you see arcing, turn
the timer knob “OFF” and remove the
cause of the problem.
•If you wish to inspect the food whilst it
is cooking, open the door. The oven will
automatically stop cooking. To continue
cooking, close the door again.
• If you wish to stop cooking, turn the
timer off.
•DO NOT let the timer continue to operate
after removing the item or when there is
no food in the microwave.
Efficiency tips:
• Use the microwave instead of the oven when cooking small amounts of food.
Kettle Safety tips:
•DO NOT put the kettle stand, cable or
plug in liquid.
•DO NOT switch on unless the kettle
contains the equivalent of at least 2 cups
of water.
•DO NOT fill past the maximum mark, or it
may spit boiling water.
•Check the lid is fully closed before
switching on the kettle, or it may not
switch off.
•DO NOT use the kettle if the cable is
damaged in any way.
Efficiency tips:
•When boiling water, only put in the
amount of water you need, but always
ensure the heating element is covered.
•When boiling water for cooking, use a
kettle rather than a pan on the cooker.
Iron Safety tips:
•DO NOT leave the iron unattended while
connected to the mains.
•DO NOT leave the cord hanging over the
edge of the ironing board.
•Always turn the control to ‘0’ setting and
unplug the iron from the mains supply
when not in use.
• Let the iron cool before putting away.
•Loop cord loosely around the iron when
•If the mains lead or plug becomes
damaged, DO NOT use the iron.
Efficiency tips:
•Use the temperature control dial to obtain
the right temperature for your laundry.
•Check the label on the garments for
temperature and steam setting as
recommended by the manufacturer.
•If you are unsure of a garment’s fabric
content, start on a low setting and
gradually increase the heat until creases
and wrinkles are removed without
damaging the garment.
Vacuum cleaner
If you have access to a numatic “HENRY”
vacuum cleaner DO NOT use this to pick
up water as this will burn out the motor and
could be extremely dangerous.
Safety and efficiency tips for storage of
food in your fridge and freezer
Proper storage practices can help you keep
foods fresher for longer, minimize the risk
of food related illness and ensure effective
use of space. These tips can help you get
•Check the temperature – allowing
refrigerators to get too warm can
decrease food’s shelf life and increase
the growth of unhealthy bacteria.
We recommend that you keep the
temperature at 5 degrees Celsius.
•DO NOT put hot/warm food into the
•DO NOT leave the fridge door open
longer than you need to.
•Plan ahead - make a point of using
stored foods before opening or
purchasing more and get to know how
long various foods last in the fridge or
freezer. Try to avoid over-buying and
check the sell by dates.
•Two hour max rule - as soon as you get
home from the supermarket/store put
your perishables in the refrigerator. If
you need to use a refrigerated item for
cooking, DO NOT leave it out for longer
than two hours.
•Wrap it tight - be sure stored foods are
tightly wrapped. When using a sealable
bag try to squeeze out as much air
as possible. If you are using a plastic
container, choose the smallest. This will
conserve space.
•Frozen food items - if you need to defrost
foods ensure items are covered and put
into the refrigerator and not left out all
day at room temperature.
•Storage - to conserve space DO NOT
put items in the fridge that do not need to
be refrigerated e.g. unopened tinned and
jar foods, water bottles and your entire
term’s supply of beer and wine. DO NOT
store raw meat and fish on the top shelf.
•Only buy enough frozen food to fit into
the freezer space available - in your
kitchen, check that there is sufficient
space for frozen food before buying,
remembering that your entire kitchen
group also need to use the same space.
•When in doubt, throw it out - if you’re
not sure whether a food item is safe to
eat, remember that smelling or tasting
the food is not a good indicator. Most
harmful bacteria can’t be seen, smelt or
tasted. The best policy is to simply throw
it away. If your food is growing a fur coat
or is slimy this is a good indication you
should throw it out.
•Loss or power outage - if the power
goes off, foods should keep for 1-2
days depending on the contents. Fuller
refrigerators generally preserve foods
longer than empty ones. Be sure to keep
the doors closed as much as possible
until power is restored.
Security and CCTV
The on campus Security Office is open 24
hours a day, 7 days a week. There is also an
off-campus security service operating during
the evenings and at weekends.
Please refer to
for full details of the services provided by
our Security Office and their policies and
Health, Safety and Security
Security Services maintain a CCTV system
to the standard of “Best Practice” as defined
by Regulatory Bodies. The main objective
is to provide a safe and secure environment
for the benefit of those who might visit, work
or live on the campus. For further details go
Your responsibilities
•Failure to maintain security through
leaving windows open or room doors
unlocked, wedging doors open, forcing
doors, sabotaging locks or losing keys
exposes both individual residents and
other members of the community to
unnecessary risks. Further, such actions
may invalidate any insurance cover you
have. Any practices, which through
carelessness or deliberate action are held
to compromise security, may be subject
to disciplinary proceedings in accordance
with University regulations.
• If you occupy a ground floor room do
not leave computers or valuables on
public display.
Food thefts – Residents should be on
their guard against thefts from kitchens
in general and refrigerators and
freezers in particular. Thefts of this
nature can seriously and permanently
damage community relationships.
Kitchen security is the responsibility of
each kitchen community. Theft of any
type could result in you losing your place
in University accommodation.
To avoid the theft of food and
equipment you are strongly advised
to keep the front door of the house or
flat and where possible the kitchen
door locked at all times. Be careful
with your keys. Remember whoever finds
them has access to all the communal
areas as well as your room. Always lock
your room door when going out. If you
live on the ground floor, check that your
window is locked.
•Residents should report anyone acting
suspiciously to the Accommodation Staff
or Security immediately. The University
does not give permission for any person,
external business or individual, to carry
out door-to-door canvassing or fly-posting
in the accommodation. Penalties could
be incurred under Residential Rules and
Regulations. If you encounter such persons
please report them immediately to the
Resident Tutor Team, the Accommodation
Centre or Security.
Immobilise Database
Immobilise is a database to register your
property (e.g. mobile phones, lap tops, MP3
players, cameras, in fact anything with a
serial number). It is a FREE on-line system
where once registered means that you have
a better chance of getting your property
back if it is lost or stolen. Please take a look
at the Immobilise website at:
Our security department work with a
property marking company to help identify
property that is lost or stolen. Please
follow the link:
Lock-Out Procedure, Lost
Keys and Access Cards
If you lock yourself out at any time, please
do not force the door otherwise you will be
held responsible for any damage caused.
Please contact the Accommodation Centres
and they will arrange to let you into your
room. Outside their opening hours, please
call your duty Resident Tutor or call at the
Security Office in the Library.
Any lost key should be reported immediately
to the Accommodation Centre. Each
replacement key costs £25. If the resident
finds and returns the original key within a 72
hour period, £15 will be returned. To replace
a temporary card (before you get your
library card) will cost £8.To have the money
refunded the resident must:
• Return the key within 72 hours.
•Return the green receipt which is issued
as proof of payment for the new key.
•If the student thinks the lost key may
have compromised room safety (i.e. if
they had address details attached in
any way or in the same bag) then the
lock has to be changed, and the current
cost for this service is £60. After 72
hours, a new key is cut and no refund
can be issued, but, if found at a later
stage, then it must be handed in to the
Accommodation Centre.
• Most of our buildings have a card access
system. Access to your accommodation
is programmed onto your library card. If you lose or damage the card you can obtain a replacement from the library at
a cost of £8.
Building Works
See this weblink for latest information
Our Estates Department give regular web
updates of proposed schedules of work and
how they may affect residents. Every effort
is made to keep the inevitable noise and
disruption to a minimum and we apologise
in advance for any inconvenience caused.
In the first instance, any individual concerns
should be raised with your Housekeeping
team or the Accommodation Centre.
Safe Walking Routes
Safe walking routes have been demarcated
across the campus. On roadways, these
will be recognised by sections of white
lines and pedestrian symbols. Students are
encouraged for their own safety, to walk on
pavements and within demarcated areas.
General Accommodation Information
What We Provide
Bedrooms with either built in furniture or
loose furniture are fully furnished.
On Campus
Eastwood Houses, Westwood, Norwood,
Osborne and The Lodge; – 1 duvet and
1 hollow fibre pillow is provided. Students
should bring their own bed linen.
Woodland Court, The Quads,
Marlborough Court, Solsbury Court and
Polden Court; – 1 duvet and 2 hollow
fibre pillows are provided. Students
requiring bed linen should notify their
Housekeeping Team and it will be
provided. However, students may bring
their own bed linen if preferred.
City Campus
• 1 duvet and 1 hollow fibre pillow is
provided. Students should bring their
own bed linen.
Bicycles stored in study bedrooms /
corridors / stairwells will be removed
Bicycle stands and/or secured bike sheds
are provided in various locations both on
campus and in City campuses. Approved
“D” locks for use on bike stands may be
hired on long-term loan for a modest fee
through the Security Manager, Wessex
House. Under no circumstances may
bicycles be taken into accommodation
or parked under stairwells or in hallways.
Please apply to for
access to the limited spaces in a lockable
bike-shed for which a fully refundable key
deposit of £25 will be required. Please note
that the University cannot guarantee the
security of bicycles at any time. The use of
secure bike sheds if granted is co-terminus
with your room contract. We reserve the
right to remove and dispose of any bikes
not collected after the expiry of the room
Bed Packs
What You Need to Bring
Personal crockery, cutlery, cookware
and cooking utensils
We recommend you bring the minimum with
you to University, as kitchen groups often
buy larger items between themselves to
save space in the kitchen. Recommended
items are tin openers, basic pans, and
utensils, cling film, foil, freezer bag, oven
gloves, tea towels and dishcloths. The use
of irons, kettles or any cooking equipment,
e.g. toasters or rice cookers, in bedrooms
is strictly prohibited. The use of deep fat
fryers in the kitchen is also banned, unless
they are thermostatically controlled deep fat
Bed packs including 1 duvet cover,
1 fitted sheet and 1 pillow case can be
purchased on-line (£10.40 for a single or
£14.50 for a double).
Kitchen facilities
In each kitchen, one or two fridge/ freezers
according to the size of the kitchen group;
electric kettle; cooker; microwave and iron
and ironing board.
Vacuum cleaner
Temporary use of a vacuum cleaner is
available. In some cases this may be a flat
mop for hard surface floors. Contact your
operations team for details.
Bicycle stands and
Rice cookers may be brought into
residence for use in kitchens only
if they confirm to the appropriate
British Standard and are CE marked.
Additional electrical equipment will only
be allowed in kitchens where space
permits their safe operation and where
a sufficient food preparation area for all
users of the kitchen remains available.
Please also log onto www.studentcooking.
tv/bath for further useful information.
The University reserves the right to check
and remove or withdraw residents’ own
items, if they are considered a safety
risk, having given residents the option
of immediately removing the items from
University residence. Any item removed
or withdrawn by the University shall be
returned to the resident upon request.
The resident shall then arrange for the
item to be removed immediately from
University residence. Please note that
we will not be responsible for the upkeep
of your belongings. The decision of the
Accommodation Operations Manager
in respect of any item’s compliance with
regulations shall be final.
Bedrooms and Bathrooms
You will need to bring personal hand and
bath towels. It is also advisable to bring coat
hangers, laundry basket, toothbrush holder,
box for toiletries and pins for your notice
Please DO NOT Bring:
Your own furniture or soft furnishings
without the Accommodation Operations
Manager’s permission. Such items must
be fully compliant with current Furniture
and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations.
Duvets and pillows brought into the
residences are done so at the resident’s
own risk. All University provided bedding
and soft furnishing is fire retardent.
Microwave ovens or deep fat fryers that
are not thermostatically controlled, or rice
cookers that have not been purchased in
the EU.
Your own space heaters and domestic
fridges, freezers, cooking, clothes
washing and drying appliances which
are not permitted in University residence.
(Anyone requiring a small fridge for
medical reasons should liaise accordingly
with the Student Accommodation Office).
Certain food items from countries out
of the EU, as you could be breaking the
law. This includes meat and milk-based
products, as well as other food items.
The same rules apply if you are bringing
them into the UK yourself, if a friend or
relative brings them as a gift, or if they are
sent in the post. Please visit for more information.
• Ensure you check your room inventory
and report any damaged or missing
items at
accommodation/contactus/maintenanceenquiry Retain the reference number
relating to the issues raised. We also
recommend that you report any damage
or missing items in the kitchen/communal
areas. Failure to report missing/damaged
items may make you or your kitchen
group liable for the cost of repairs or
General Accommodation Information
Internet, Telephone and
Internet access
All rooms have a wired connection to the
campus network and the internet.
Wifi is available in all On Campus and City
Campus accommodation.
TV licence
Residents who wish to have a TV set in
their room, access TV services through their
computer or use a television in a communal
kitchen should note that a licence is required
(exception: residents in Polden Court, The
Quads and Woodland Court “C” Block
where the cost of the licence is included in
the room fee). A colour TV licence currently
cost £145.50 for one year, but you can
claim a refund for any completely unused
quarters e.g. July to September summer
vacation. The maximum fine for not having
a valid licence is £1000. For further details
please contact TV Licensing on 0870 242
1417 or visit
Utility Supplies
All residents should be aware that the
University cannot guarantee the continuity
of the electricity, gas, water, telephony,
television and data network service supplies
to University residences as such services
are not entirely subject to the University’s
The University will therefore not accept
any responsibility or liability for any
losses which may be incurred as a
result of any interruptions in the supply
of electricity, gas, water, telephony,
television or data network services
to University premises or breakdown
of appliances (e.g. fridge-freezer) ,
except to any extent resulting from its
Maintenance – Damage,
Faults and Disrepair
Maintenance is carried out either by
University staff or nominated contractors.
In both instances they can be clearly
identified as maintenance personnel.
Maintenance faults and repairs required
in study bedrooms, kitchens or shower/
toilet facilities within residences should
be reported on-line at:
You are advised to retain the reference
number, which is automatically sent to you
by an automatic email.
Requests for maintenance will be treated as
an invitation to enter your room and will be
prioritised by Estates personnel who operate
a Service Level Agreement to ensure
that all works are completed to minimise
inconvenience and damage. Any delay in
gaining access or entry to your room could
result in subsequent delays to completing
the repair or maintenance work requested.
Works will fall into five categories response
times for these are classified as:
Priority One
Emergency within 2 hours
Priority Two
within 24 hours
Priority Three
Important within 3 days
Priority Four
within 7 days
Priority Five
advance notice will be given.
If the issue is an “emergency” or
“urgent” and you are reporting outside
of office hours Monday to Friday 0900
– 1700 then you should also contact
the Resident Tutor or Security who will
arrange to call out the Estates Team.
Every effort will be made to rectify your
problem within one visit and within the
above timescales. However, if this is not
possible a card may be left in your room to
inform you when the issue will be resolved.
If the issue has not been resolved within 24
hours of the date given please email or visit the
Accommodation centre. If a maintenance
fault cannot be rectified within a reasonable
period of time alternative accommodation/
facilities will be offered where possible.
Pre-planned maintenance is required during
the year when access to your room or
kitchen will be required. Seven days’ notice
will be given for such work.
Mail Delivery and
Advance Parcels
On Campus
The correct postal address for you room
is shown on your room offer. Please ask
your correspondents to use the appropriate
postcode when addressing mail to you.
Correspondence should also include your
name/block/house/level/room number on
the envelope.
• Mail is delivered Monday to Friday and
can be collected 24 hours a day from
designated post boxes using your
allocated code.
• A post box, which can only be opened
using a unique code, will be allocated
to each kitchen group before you enrol.
The code will be emailed to you.
• Any misdirected mail or mail for previous
occupants should be placed in the
Returns box.
• Items that require a signature will be held
at the Accommodation Parcel Room.
• We will email you to let you know your
item has arrived and you can collect it
between 11am – 6.30 pm (Monday to
Friday) and also 9.45am – 12.15pm on
Saturday, during term-time only.
• Outside of term time parcels can be
collected Monday to Friday between
11am and 4.45 pm.
• When collecting your parcel please
ensure you have the reference number
written down (as stated on your email
notification) and bring it along with some
formal identification such as your library
card or passport.
• If items are not collected from the mail
room within four weeks you will be sent
a second email to your university and
alternative email address (if available).
You have a further two weeks within
which to collect your parcel before it will
be returned to sender or disposed of.
There are several post boxes located around
the campus.
• Students in Cotswold, Derhill, Quantock,
Conygre, Wolfson, Mendip and Quarry
General Accommodation Information
halls should collect their mail from the
mailbox room between Barclays bank
and Fresh shop exit.
Students in Eastwood or Marlborough
Court should collect their mail
from the mailbox room next to the
Accommodation Parcel Room.
Students in Woodland Court and
Solsbury Court should collect their mail
from the mailbox room next to the East
Accommodation Centre.
Students in The Quads should collect
their mail from the mailbox room
alongside Acer Quad.
Students in Osborne House should
collect their mail from the mailbox room
within the building.
There are mailboxes in the communal
areas of Polden Court, Brendon Court
and Norwood.
City Campus
If you wish to send any parcels in advance
of your arrival, please direct them to the City
Accommodation Centre, University of Bath,
John Wood Complex – clearly marked with
your Name, Residence and Room Number.
The correct postal address for your room
is shown on your room offer, please ask
your correspondents to use the appropriate
postcode when addressing mail to you.
Correspondence should also include your
name/block/house/level/room number on
the envelope.
Mail is delivered Monday to Friday and
can be collected 24 hours a day from
designated post boxes using your
allocated code.
A post box, which can only be opened
using a unique code, will be allocated to
each kitchen group before you enrol.
The code will be emailed to you.
Any misdirected mail or mail for previous
occupants should be placed in the
Returns box.
Items that require a signature will be
held at the Housekeepers Office (or in
John Wood at the Accommodation
Centre). You will be notified of such
mail via your University of Bath email
account. This mail can be collected
from the Housekeeping Office Monday
to Friday between 16:00 – 17:00 or
during the Resident Tutors’ drop in
between 19:00 – 20:00. You will need to
bring with you the reference number
on the email notification and formal
identification e.g. your library card in
order to collect such items.
With the exception of parcel deliveries
pre-arrival, items larger than 30cmx30cm
will not be accepted due to storage
capacity. Larger parcels can be delivered
to the Parcel Room on campus and
student’s will be responsible for arranging
transport to their accommodation.
If items are not collected from John
Wood or the Housekeeping Office within
four weeks you will be sent a second
email to your University and alternative
email address (if available). You have a
further two weeks within which to collect
your parcel before it will be returned to
sender or disposed of.
Mail delivery general information
• We will not accept items for students/
friends who do not currently live in the
• We would advise that you have items
of great value delivered either to your
home address or by Royal Mail Special
Delivery as the University of Bath accepts
no responsibility for items which are lost
or stolen.
• At the end of your period of
occupation, all post will be returned
to sender, so please ensure you
update your address details before
you leave.
• Please try and avoid using your University
address in correspondence with
companies who might send promotional
literature. Junk mail considerably slows
down the mail sorting and delivery
You can help to reduce the amount of
junk mail received by registering with the
Mailing Preference Service
( This is a simple
process which allows individuals to
register that they do not wish to receive
direct mail.
Cleaning Services
Service level statement (for buildings where
communal cleaning is included in the rent)
We will clean kitchens and communal areas
once a week, with the exception of studio
flats, which will be cleaned once every six
We will clean kitchens in en-suite buildings
twice a week. On these days we will:
Empty your rubbish bins.
Clean all surfaces and the sink area.
Clean cookers, fridges, grills and
microwaves inside and out.
Wipe down all cupboards.
Sweep and wash the floor.
Corridors & communal bathroom
Clean toilets inside & out.
Clean baths and/or showers.
Clean washbasins.
Clean all fire door glass.
Mop or vacuum corridors, floors & stairs.
On Campus:
We will clean all en-suite rooms and
studios on a rota basis once every 6 weeks
commencing from 5 October 2015.
City Campus:
We will clean all en-suite facilities and
studios on a rota basis once every six weeks
commencing from 5 October 2015.
At this time we will:
Clean washbasin, toilet, shower and/
or bath.
Wipe all surfaces.
Mop or vacuum floors.
• Students will be notified of the date of a
room clean a week in advance. Students
who do not wish their rooms to be
cleaned will have their rooms checked by
the Housekeeping team to ensure it is
being kept in a clean and tidy condition.
• A calling card will be left in your room to
indicate that a room clean has taken
• Students will be informed if rooms or
kitchens are not in good order and will be
advised on improvements needed.
• Continued negligence to maintain kitchen
cleanliness to an acceptable standard
may result in disciplinary action by the
Accommodation Operations Manager or
his/her designate.
Students’ responsibilities
In order to maintain the standard of your
accommodation we expect you to:
Kitchens & communal areas:
• Clean up spillages to the best of your
General Accommodation Information
Keep fridge/freezers tidy – throw away
unwanted food.
Keep the oven, the grill pan and
microwave free of cooking debris.
All rooms will be checked by the
Housekeeping staff every six weeks to
ensure they are being kept in a clean
and tidy condition.
• Keep surfaces clear (e.g. worktops,
window sills)
• Wash up and put away crockery and
• Avoid leaving personal belongings in
kitchens, corridors or bathrooms.
• Put rubbish in the bins provided.
• Put recycling materials in the bins
• Remove rubbish and recycling materials
to the appropriate refuse/recycling points
at weekends and during University
Accommodation where no cleaning is
• Clean the wash basin or en-suite facility
on a regular basis.
• Move rubbish from the room bin to the
kitchen bins on a weekly basis.
• Keep the room in a clean and tidy
• Perishable or dry foods may not be
stored in bedrooms or on windowsills
and please do not throw food out of
kitchen windows as this encourages
• Clear surfaces on the days of room
• Each room will contain an inventory at
the beginning of occupancy. Any damage
or missing items should be reported to
the Accommodation Centre immediately.
Any additional damage or missing items
found at the end of the occupancy will be
charged to the student.
Buildings where cleaning is not included
in the rent are Eastwood 1 – 19. In
these buildings students are responsible
for cleaning their own bedrooms and
the cleaning of the kitchen, bathrooms
and communal areas is the collective
responsibility of the house. We have
designed a cleaning rota to help you with
this which can be located on your kitchen
notice board.Weekly cleaning checks will
be made of the communal areas and where
they do not meet the required standard will
result in the house being given a week to
correct. Failure to resolve within the week
and meet an acceptable standard will result
in a collective charge of £120 (split between
all residents) being raised to cover the
cleaning service that will be required to bring
the house back to the required standard. In
the event of a dispute regarding the need
to charge for cleaning, the Accommodation
Operations Manager will make the final
Continued negligence to maintain kitchen
cleanliness to an acceptable standard
may result in disciplinary action by the
Accommodation Operations Manager or
his/her designate.
We will provide an initial supply of cleaning
products and cloths. We expect students to
supply future supplies using environmentally
friendly alkaline based products to avoid
the use of hazardous chemicals in your
accommodation, particularly the kitchen.
Rooms will be checked every six weeks to
ensure they are being kept in a clean and
tidy condition.
Snow and Ice Clearing Policies
Laundry Services
1. The Department of Estates have a
Gritting and Snow Clearing policy which
aims to clear primary roads and paths which
can be found at
The Accommodation Department Snow
and Ice Clearing policy can be found at
All students should adhere to common
sense protocols and accept they have
a responsibility for personal safety.
Launderettes with tumble dryers for
personal laundry are available on campus by
the Eastwood turning circle, in Marlborough
Court, Woodland Court and the Quads, in
Westwood adjacent to the Accommodation
Centre and on level 4 in Norwood House.
Launderettes with tumble dryers are
available in all off-site complexes. All our
laundry facilities are managed by Circuit
Laundry. In the event of a fault with a
washing machine or tumble dryer please
telephone 0800 0924068, or go to Please give Circuit details
of which machine number has a fault and
if possible a description of the fault. All our
launderettes are card operated. Circuit
laundry cards are available from machines in
the East Accommodation Centre (Woodland
Court), Westwood Laundrette and John
Wood Laundrette. Initial cards cost £5
and can be topped up by multiples of £5.
Full instructions on how to use the cards
and how to top them up are given in each
laundrette and also online at
Pest Control
Please report any issues with pest control
e.g. wasps’ nests, ants or bed bugs online
contactus/maintenance-enquiry, Monday to
Friday 0900-1700 hours.
Environment and Sustainability
Energy, Environment and
One of the long term aims of
Accommodation and Hospitality Services
is “to consider all actions that impact on
the environment by focusing on reducing,
re-using and recycling waste and reducing
utility usage”. We are aware that our
decisions and actions have an impact
on the environment and we aim to
minimise this.
In April 2011 the department achieved
certification to ISO 14001, the Environmental
Management Standard.
The university is a major user of energy and
water with an annual spend in 2012/13 of
just over £6.5m of which nearly a quarter is
for Accommodation (for more information
go to This is a major
part of the University’s expenditure and
we have a clear duty to try and control
this for financial reasons. We also have a
responsibility to reduce our environmental
impact and our contribution to climate
change. All residences are centrally heated
and thermostatically controlled. All heating is
switched off overnight, but we aim to keep
a minimum temperature within each room
of 16 degrees centigrade we aim to achieve
hot water temperature of 56 degrees
centigrade at all times. Heating times may
vary during the winter months depending on
weather conditions. Generally during winter;
the heating is timed to come on morning
and evening, but not throughout the night.
The temperature is set to achieve a
maximum of 21 degrees centigrade
via the radiators installed in all rooms.
The temperature is controlled by both
external and internal thermostats. The
external thermostat measures the outside
temperature and should this be quite
high may result in the boilers switching off
during these times. The radiators may only
be warm to the touch and could go off
completely should the internal temperature
reach 21 degrees. The heating will be
switched off in the spring and summer
What Are We Doing to
Reduce Utility Usage?
Accommodation and Hospitality Services
have teamed up with Estates to run an
annual Electricity reduction challenge
competition. ‘Student Switch Off’
encourages the accommodation complexes
to compete against one another in reducing
the amount of electricity used each month.
Monthly prizes are awarded to winning
complexes and results are published. At the
end of the year a prize is awarded to the
overall winning team.
For more information about the challenge
How Can You Help?
You can be environmentally responsible in
your consumption of energy and water and
help to reduce and recycle waste.
For example:
•Switch off lights – especially when you
leave your room/kitchen.
•Don’t leave equipment on “standby” –
please turn it off.
•Wash your clothes in full loads at 30
•Kettles - only boil sufficient water for
what you need.
•If you feel too warm in your room please
turn thermostats down on your radiator
instead of opening the window.
• Take shorter showers.
• Wear appropriate clothing!
• Use the microwave instead of the oven.
•Minimise non-recyclable waste by
reducing the amount of packaged
goods you purchase.
•Plan your food purchases carefully close
to the end of term to minimise waste.
Please Note: all of our cold water is drinkable.
Useful weblinks
energy-environment/switchoff or
In our new buildings (The Quads) we are
improving our sustainability with energy
saving designs:
• Window Shutters - maintains warmth
and blocks out light during the day and at
• Electronic Thermostatic Radiator (ETRV)
which activates only when temperatures
drop below 16 degrees.
• Extractor fan has a timed over run.
• Heated Towel rail with timed activation of
20 minutes for use whilst showering.
• Lighting has an energy saving switch.
• Toilets – water saving flush.
• Showers with flow restrictors.
• LED lighting throughout bedroom.
Refuse Collection and
Recycling & Refuse
Our porters empty refuse and recycling bins
at least three times a week. Bins are not
emptied at weekends or during University
holidays and bank holidays. Extra refuse
sacks are available if requested. In the
interest of hygiene and general comfort it is
suggested that residents take any excess
rubbish or recyclable material to the large bin
areas, which are situated as follows.
On Campus
at Accommodation Waste Centres:
• A – next to West Accommodation Centre
• B – in front of Polden Court
• C – between Derhill & Wolfson
• D – to the west of Eastwood Houses 1 – 6
• E – next to Eastwood House 31
• F – Solsbury Court (opposite Woodland
Court reception)
• G – Quads
• The Quads – Bin Stores (adjacent to
Woodland and Solsbury)
Recycling points for plastics, cans and glass
are located outside B & D.
City Campus
• Each complex has its own refuse store.
•Large recyling bins are also available in
these areas.
Residents are expected to behave
responsibly and to avoid causing or adding
to litter.
Environment and Sustainability
Do your bit by Recycling
•The University of Bath is committed to
environmental issues and we will be
looking to all residents to assist us in
reducing waste and recycling as much
as possible.
•You will find a range of recycling
receptacles within our residences
kitchens for you to place used items.
Kitchens contain 4 different
receptacles, one for glass, one for paper,
one for plastic containers, plastic
bottles and cans and one for cardboard
You will also find a domestic waste bin
for any other waste. Each domestic
waste bin will be lined with a clear
polythene bag enabling our staff to
monitor recycling uptake. Where
recyclable items are regularly found in
the domestic waste we will endeavour to encourage the group to take a more
responsible approach to the disposal
of waste.
The items placed for recycling will be
removed a minimum of 3 times a week
between Monday and Friday. There are no collections at the weekends.
Mini Recycling Centres can be found
throughout the University, our staff will
be able to show you the most convenient
centre for you. We would ask you to
avoid cross contamination when using
these receptacles.
There are three large textile banks on
campus, situated by the Eastwood
turning circle, by Wolfson in Westwood
and by the bin store in the Quads.
We would urge all residents to use these
banks if they wish to dispose of
unwanted clothing.
Further information can be found at
At the end of residency, students are
required to remove all their waste from
bedrooms and communal areas. Penalty
charges are applied for waste that is left.
We will not accept the responsibility for any
items left on our premises (following the end
of your contract)
• Any unwanted items in good condition
can be donated to charity.
Supermarket Delivery Boxes
All Supermarket delivery boxes MUST be
returned to delivery vans or taken and
stored neatly at the two collection points in
Westwood and Eastwood Turning Circle
Car parking policy
Students may not be in possession of a
motor vehicle whilst living in University
residence, either on or off campus, unless
granted a permit. Permission may be sought
if there are exceptional circumstances
(eg blue badge holders) by contacting the
Security Office. These restrictions are placed
on us by the Local Authority and failure to
meet these obligations may result in the
University taking disciplinary action which
may include requiring a student to leave
University accommodation. Please refer to:
Good Neighbour Policy
•Your behaviour should be compatible
not only with good order within the
residences and show consideration for
your fellow students, but also should not
disturb, inconvenience or upset members
of the local community. Bath is a fairly
small city, so when you become part of
the University that also means being part
of the local community.
•You will naturally introduce yourself to
fellow members of your kitchen group,
but don’t forget to broaden those
introductions to local shopkeepers and
neighbouring, especially if you are living
in one of our city centre complexes.
This may seem irrelevant but it can help
establish positive relationships, especially
when you move out into the private
sector in your second year.
•Having friends around? – Remember
to tell your other house-mates and/
or neighbours and give them plenty of
notice. Ask your guests to leave quietly
and clear up any debris. Keep the noise
levels low and be responsive to requests
for quiet. Remember, you are responsible
for your friends
•When returning home late keep voices
down and be careful not to slam
taxi doors or front/communal doors.
Remember, your neighbours may have
different hours to you, may be in an exam
or assessment period, or possibly have
young children.
In particular, but not exclusively, you should be fully aware that threatening,
intimidating, bullying or harassing
behaviour is not tolerated under any
circumstances, nor damage to or misuse
of property. This especially applies to the
local golf course which is adjacent to our
northern boundary on campus.
• In case of difficulties/problems, please
contact your Resident Tutor or one of our Accommodation Centres.
•If you receive any complaints, take
responsibility and act positively to resolve
them before they are taken further.
We have a Bath Student Community
Partnership made up of Bath & North
East Somerset Councillors, and student
and staff representatives from the two
local Universities and colleges. This group
provides a forum for liaison between the
institutions, their students’ unions as well
as the Council on matters concerning
students and the local community. This
includes accommodation, transport, welfare,
community relations and environmental
issues. The group works with local
residents, the Police, landlords and local
organisations in order to improve relations
between students and local residents. An
Action Line is set up on 01225 396996 and
this enables local residents and their student
neighbours to give feedback about each
other. For further info please visit:
•Give consideration to your neighbours by
keeping your windows clear of posters,
clothes etc.
Student Welfare and Support
Student Support Services
The Student Services Centre, located in
4 West provides Counselling & Well Being,
Disability Service and Funding Advice and
International Student Advice. Full details can
be found at:
The University Medical Centre is
conveniently situated in Quarry House on
the main University Campus (see ). The practice
provides a range of NHS services to all
patients within the practice area. In the
building there is also the University Dental
Resident Tutor Service
Resident Tutors are mostly postgraduate
students or members of staff at the
University. They live alongside students in
the halls of residence and are here to:
The Students’ Union Advice and
Representation centre aims to provide
confidential and non judgemental support,
representation and advice for all students
registered at the University of Bath. If you
have a housing, academic or personal
problem, you need some legal advice or if
you’re not sure where to go for help then
visit the Advice and Representation Centre
in the Student Centre or their website at:
•Ensure the provision and maintenance of
a high standard of welfare.
Illness, Accidents and
•Provide a wide range of social events
throughout the academic year.
Any student who is taken ill or any student
aware of such an individual must ensure
that a member of the Accommodation staff,
Security or Resident Tutor Team is informed
immediately either in person or on phone
01225 430201. All students should be
registered with the University Medical Centre
or a local G.P. Any student contracting
a communicable disease is requested
to advise Accommodation staff of their
condition so that the well-being of other
residents can be addressed, drawing on
medical advice, as appropriate. In the event
of an emergency please see page 4.
All incidents that result in personal injury to
a resident or visitor must be reported to the
Accommodation Centre and appropriate
forms completed. Please note that our
Security staff are fully trained first aiders
and will provide first aid as necessary to any
student or visitor.
• Provide advice on a number of issues
and signpost to other services.
• Encourage good health and safety
•Ensure good order for students living in
University accommodation.
There is a team of 40 Resident Tutors
spread amongst the Campus and City
Campus residences. The Resident Tutors
report to the Student Accommodation
Welfare & Support Manager (SAWSM).
There is always a Resident Tutor on call
for each residence after 18.15 (including
weekends & holidays). The Resident Tutors
hold daily drop in sessions from 19:00 –
20:00 at the locations listed opposite.
On Campus:
Absences from Residence
West Accommodation Centre –
for all Campus residents
(please use the rear entrance)
Any student leaving residence for more than
a week during term-time or vacation periods
should notify the Accommodation Centre or
Resident Tutor accordingly so as not to cause
undue worry or concern. We also need to know
this to allow our housekeeping staff to run fresh
water through the shower and taps once a
week whilst you are absent This is to ensure that
water hygiene is maintained throughout
the building, and water remains fresh in
your room.
City Campus:
• John Wood Office 19:00 – 20:00.
• Thornbank Gardens Housekeeping Office
19:00 – 20:00.
• Clevelands Building Housekeeping Office
19:00 – 20:00.
• Pulteney Court Housekeeping Office
19:00 – 20:00 Monday, Wednesday,
Friday and Saturday.
• Carpenter House Housekeeping Office
19:00 – 20:00 Tuesday, Thursday and
You can pop in to a drop in session to
speak to the Resident Tutor on duty if you:
• Have any queries or concerns.
• You’d like to discuss Resident Tutor
organised events or hire a board game or
• You need to report a problem you have
with either the accommodation or
another resident that could be causing
you distress.
• You just want to talk to someone.
Resident Tutors will listen, advise and help
where possible
For urgent matters, always call
Resident Tutor team at 01225 430201.
Please note that the Resident Tutors
are unable to process requests through
text messages.
Confidentiality Policy
It is not usual practice to discuss an individual
student with a third party without obtaining the
student’s permission. However, Accommodation
and Hospitality Services’ staff and Resident
Tutors operate a team confidentiality policy and
may discuss student cases with other colleagues
in their team on a “need to know” basis. They
also work closely with other student support
services and academic departments to provide
and foster a good living environment for all
residents with special regard to student welfare,
discipline and safety. When any initial concerns,
are raised about a third party, discussions may
take place among these staff, without first
seeking the explicit permission of the student,
to consider how best to offer support to that
individual. Once a student has sought help from
one or more of the student support services, the
services would not normally discuss a student’s
case with any third party without the student’s
permission. More information about confidentiality
in the student support service can be found at:
Residential Rules
Residents must conduct themselves at all
times in a responsible and proper manner
with due consideration for Operations
staff, other residents, local residents and
members of the public. Conduct which
is alleged to be a breach of University
regulations will be dealt with in accordance
with the provision of regulations as detailed
at Any alleged
conduct that constitutes a criminal offence
may be reported to the police. University
disciplinary action may also follow.
Residential Rules (RR) are listed below.
RR1 – Causing nuisance and noise affecting
the work or sleep of others
RR2 – Keys/access control cards
RR3 – Window restrictors
RR4 – Keeping pets
RR5 – Ball games
RR6 – Motor vehicles & Parking
RR7 – Parties
RR8 – Visitors and guests
RR9 – Sub-letting
RR10 – Access to rooms
RR11 – Prohibited items
RR12 – Incense sticks and candles
RR13 – Cycle storage
RR14 – Window displays
RR15 – Cleaning and causing obstruction
RR16 – Electrical equipment
Further details on each of the Residential
Rules are detailed below along with
supplementary information relevant to
University regulations:
RR1. Causing nuisance or noise affecting
the work or sleep of others at any time.
After 23:30 it is expected that no noise or
music should be heard in adjacent corridors
or rooms. Residents using kitchens or
bathrooms after 23:30 should show special
consideration to other students in the group
who may be trying to sleep. Remember that
you are here to study so please respect the
right of other residents to peace and quiet
when they need it. If you feel your own peace
and quiet is being affected speak to the
offending party in a reasonable manner. If
you cannot resolve the matter, contact the
Resident Tutor or Accommodation Centre.
RR2. Improperly using keys/access control
cards including duplicating or lending to other
persons is not allowed. On changing rooms
you must return the keys to your old room by
a specified date.
RR3. Windows are fitted with restrictors for
your safety and these must not be tampered
with. Residents are not permitted to climb out
of windows or sit on window ledges.
RR4. Keeping pets, including fish or livestock
on University premises is not allowed. If any
are found in your accommodation you will
be required to remove it immediately. The
university reserves the right to remove the
animal and keep it at your cost.
RR5. Please note that University residences
on campus are located on the main access
route used by motor vehicles. Ball games are
not allowed inside residential buildings or in
the vicinity of the residences (except designed
areas) and without the prior written permission
from the SAWSM.
RR6. Motor vehicles & parking. Students
living in University accommodation on campus
or in the city campus may not park, be in
possession of, or otherwise use, a motor
vehicle (including a motorbike/moped) on
University property, or on public roads within
the City of Bath boundaries unless granted
a permit, or if they are using the vehicle that
belongs to the official Car Club of which they
are a member. Permission may be sought if
there are exceptional circumstances (e.g.
blue badge holders) by contacting the
Security Desk in the Library [Ext 3853].
RR7. Parties are not allowed in and around
residences due to the excessive noise
and damage that they may cause. Small
social gatherings will be allowed in kitchens
provided permission has been sought
in advance (at least 24 hours) from the
SAWSM and maximum numbers agreed.
All members of the kitchen group must
be in agreement that their kitchen can be
used for this purpose. Most importantly
of all, gatherings must not breach any of
the noise, smoking or conduct regulations
already stated.
RR8. Visitors and Guests. No person may
occupy or share the occupation or live in
any room or premises unless specifically
authorised by the Duty Resident Tutor.
Overnight guests under the age of 18 are
not permitted.
Residents are responsible at all times for
the conduct of their visitors and guests.
Consequently, if the guests of any resident
break any of the Residential Rules or
University Regulations, or cause damage to
University property the resident will receive
the appropriate penalty and disciplinary
action. Your guest may also be asked to
leave accommodation without notice.
There is no problem if one friend
occasionally shares your room overnight
(for a maximum of 3 nights) but the Duty
Resident Tutor must be informed by
email or phone call in advance. The Duty
Resident Tutor should also be informed of
any unexpected overnight guests. This is to
ensure that all insurance and fire regulations
are met.
Residents who do not seek the appropriate
permission from Resident Tutors or the
Student Accommodation Experience
Manager for their guests risk disciplinary
action and a financial penalty of £30 per
guest per night and/or losing their own place
in residence.
RR9. Residents are not permitted to
sub-let, attempt to advertise their room
for letting on websites or noticeboards, or
allow other students to live in their room
without the formal permission of the Student
Accommodation Experience Manager.
Students breaching this rule risk incurring
a financial penalty and losing their right to
remain in University accommodation.
RR10. Access to Students’ Rooms. The
University regards it as paramount that
student privacy is protected.
In order for the University staff to discharge
and fulfil their property management and
student welfare roles, students are required
to provide access to their accommodation
at all reasonable times. Regular health and
safety checks have to be
undertaken every three months and
residents will be given one week’s notice
when this occurs. In exceptional cases,
where urgent entry is deemed appropriate,
entry may be requested at times that may
not be generally described as reasonable.
(See access).
RR11. Prohibited items in residences include
batteries or charging equipment or untested
electrical circuitry, weapons/replica/sport
guns, hazardous and flammable materials/
liquids or chemicals.
RR12. You cannot burn joss/incense sticks
or use naked flames due to the sensitivity of
Residential Rules
the fire detection equipment, candles may only
be used having first informed the Resident
Tutor. The using or storing of “Hookah” pipes
is banned in university residences and the
external grounds.
RR13. Cycle storage. Students must not
store bicycles in their rooms. Any bicycles
found stored inside residences are likely
to be removed and stored at your cost.
Secure bicycle stores are located close
to the residences. Please visit:
RR14. Displays in or from windows is not
allowed including international flags and
washing. Reasonable bedroom ornaments on
internal window sills are however acceptable
RR15. Residents must look after their
accommodation and maintain acceptable
levels of communal cleanliness as detailed in
the “Cleaning Services” section. Residents
must also ensure that communal areas
including passageways, stairwells and exits
are kept clear at all times.
RR16. Use of unauthorised electrical
equipment such as non-CE marked electrical
items is not allowed. You may be responsible
for the damage caused by the use of such
equipment including call out cost for resetting
a circuit breaker.
Residents using accommodation common
rooms must book it with the Resident Tutors
and ensure the area is kept clear of any
obstruction, furniture is not moved around
and an acceptable standard of cleanliness
is maintained.
Accommodation Operations Teams may
remove any personal belongings left in the
area and you may be liable for cleaning
charges. The University will not accept any
Accommodation Smoking
Government legislation bans smoking in
many places. All complexes are completely
non-smoking. All University accommodation
is completely non-smoking including the use
of e-cigarettes - that includes communal
areas and individual study bedrooms and means that you should be at least 4
metres away from any building when you
smoke. Exceptions are Woodland Court
and Clevelands central courtyards where
smoking is prohibited.There are financial
penalties for breaching this regulation (see
page 41)
Disciplinary Code
Applying the
Disciplinary Code
As a student at the University of Bath, you
are required to comply with the University’s
regulations. These are intended to ensure
that we all live, study and work together
in a positive atmosphere of good order,
respecting the rights and needs of others.
We are sure you will understand the
necessity of imposing appropriate sanctions
and penalties on the few students who
behave in an antisocial or destructive way.
Restrictions are kept to a minimum, but
for the health and safety of all concerned
there are rules and regulations to ensure
good order, to preserve the buildings and
to maintain standards. In the interest of
both the University and all its students, it is
necessary to have a Disciplinary Code.
The purpose of the Disciplinary Code is:
• To remind all students from time-to-time,
as may be necessary, of the standards
and behaviour required of them.
•To give all students the right to be
advised of any shortcomings in their
standards and behaviour and to give
them the opportunity to remedy such
•To prevent undisciplined or unreasonable
behaviour adversely affecting the
educational objectives of the University
or interfering with the establishment
and maintenance of effective working
relationships and communal living within
the residences.
On occasions when a student’s behaviour
falls below the standard required, a recorded
Verbal Warning may be all that is required
to ensure acceptable standards or correct
behaviour in the future. However, where a
recorded Verbal Warning does not have the
required effect, or the offence is of a more
serious nature, the following Disciplinary
Procedure, as set out below, will be invoked.
The Head of Accommodation or her/his
nominee may refer serious alleged offences
to be dealt with under the University’s
Disciplinary Procedure, see University
Regulation 7
Regulation7.pdf and Regulation 8 www.
Procedure for Students
Living in University
There are four stages, and action may
commence or be taken at any stage
depending upon the seriousness of the
offence and the existence of current
warnings against the student.
1. Recorded Verbal Warning – For
minor disciplinary matters, but will still
be formally recorded in the University
Discipline database for one year.
2. First Written Warning – For more
serious cases or repetition of minor
disciplinary matters, these will be
issued by the SAWSM or the Student
Accommodation Experience Manager or
Accommodation Operations Manager,
logged on the University Discipline
database for one year and where
appropriate notified to the relevant
Director of Studies.
Disciplinary Code
(These first two stages are dealt with at
a local level and will not involve a formal
Investigative Interview or offer the Right of
Appeal to the Head of Student Services)
Manager and/or the Accommodation
Operations Manager.
3. Final Written Warning –
If disciplinary action becomes necessary
following a Written Warning, or in the
first instance of more serious
misconduct. This can be issued by
the Head of Accommodation or his/her
designate e.g. SAWSM. An Investigative
Interview may be held at this stage.
Serious alleged offences may be referred
to the Head of Student Services to be
dealt with under the University’s
Disciplinary Procedure.
•The student will be advised of the
complaint against him/her or reason why
disciplinary action is being considered.
4. Termination of Residence – This will
be issued on the recommendation of
SAWSM with the appropriate notice by
the Student Accommodation Experience
Manager in consultation with the
Director of Accommodation & Hospitality
and Head of Student Services. An
Investigative Interview will be held before
the student is issued with the notice of
Termination. Anyone requested to leave
residence as a result of disciplinary
procedures will incur a termination charge
equivalent to four weeks’ rent.
•Once the student’s case has been
fully presented, the main Investigator
conducting the hearing will adjourn the
meeting for a period of time depending
on the complexity of the matter(s) to be
Investigative Interview
In response to a report of alleged serious
misconduct at Stage 3 (Final Written
Warning) or Stage 4 (Termination of
Residence) of the Disciplinary Procedure,
a full investigation of the facts and
circumstances will be carried out by the
Director of Accommodation and Hospitality
or his/her nominees who may include
SAWSM/members of the Resident Tutor
Team, the Head of Security or his Deputy,
the Student Accommodation Experience
Typical Investigative Interview Format:
•The student will be given every
opportunity to present his/her case.
•The student’s representative, a fellow
student@bath/a SU officer, will also be
allowed to present the case, in part or
in full for the student, if the student so
•Once all the facts and information have
been fully considered, the Investigator
will reconvene the hearing and advise the
student of his/her decision.
•Confirmation of the decision will also be
provided in writing as soon as possible
after the conclusion of the hearing.
•In certain circumstances the decision
may be given at a later date.
The Investigative Interview will result in:
A) No Action
•If the Investigator believes that no
disciplinary action is required, he/she will
tell the student and confirm the matter in
Disciplinary Code
B)Disciplinary Action
The Director of Accommodation &
Hospitality, through his/her nominee/s
including SWASM/members of the
Resident Tutors’ Team, is responsible for
discipline in University Accommodation
and may reprimand, issue a written
warning, impose a financial penalty or
take other appropriate remedial actions
including terminating residence with
the appropriate days notice in respect
of any student found guilty of breaking the Residential Rules.
•The stage at which disciplinary action is
initiated will depend on the seriousness of
the offence and the existence of current
warnings against the student.
•Disciplinary action in relation to
minor breaches of Residential Rules
and Regulations is not placed on a
student’s academic record or notified
to their academic department, without
explanation and prior notification to the
student. However, as set out above more
serious or repeated misconduct will be
notified to the Head of Student Services
and the relevant academic department.
Rights of Appeal/
Appeals Procedure
Where a student/resident disagrees with
the Disciplinary Action referred to above
and if informal discussions fail to resolve
the dispute within the Department,
students may formally appeal in writing
against the outcome of any cases
involving a final written warning or
termination of residence, and a student
may, if he/she feels aggrieved, send a
written appeal to the Head of Student
Services within 7 working days of
notification of any Disciplinary stating the
grounds of the appeal, and the reason
for disagreement with the decision of the
Head of Accommodation, the Head of
Security or other nominee.
•The Head of Student Services will then
investigate in accordance with the
Preliminary Disciplinary Procedures
available from the Head of Student
Services’ Office.
•Students who feel aggrieved by the
outcome of such an appeal to the Head
of Student Services are referred to the
further Rights of Appeal, which can be
found in the University Regulations, and,
if appropriate, should, within 7 days of
receiving the outcome of the appeal
to the Head of Student Services, write
to the University Secretary, setting out
the specific grounds on which they feel
aggrieved and documenting the action
they have taken to resolve the problem.
Financial Penalties may also be
incurred in the following instances.
Damage to University
In the event of any student perpetrating
damage to University property other
than residences, the officer responsible
for implementing action is the Head of
Security, who will liaise with Estates to
arrange repairs and for an invoice to
be sent from the Finance Office to the
student responsible. A copy will be sent
to the Head of Student Services, and
to the SAWSM if the student is living in
residence, with a copy of any relevant
incident report.
• If a student claims inability to pay the
invoice on the grounds of financial
hardship s/he will be referred to the Funding Advice Team for a full financial assessment and a recommendation sought from the Student Information
and Funding Adviser as to an appropriate
schedule of payment. Students will
normally be held liable for the full cost of
any damage perpetrated but discretion
may be used by the Head of Security, in
consultation with the Head of Student Services and the SAWSM where
appropriate, according to individual
•In the case of malicious damage, the
student may also be referred to the
Head of Student Services for an informal
disciplinary interview which may result
in a warning/final warning or, in the
case of repeat offenders and/or serious
cases, referred to the Vice Chancellor
through the University Secretary with the
recommendation that s/he be subject to
a formal Disciplinary Hearing.
Damage to University
In the event of any student or group of
students causing damage to University
Accommodation the officer responsible for
implementing action will be the SAWSM or
his/her nominee. They will liaise with relevant
parties to arrange repairs or in some
cases full replacement. Charges will then
be communicated and passed on to the
student(s) concerned.
In the event of damage totalling over
£250, copies will be sent to the Head
of Student Services and to the Head of
Security. Where damage is in communal
areas and where it is imposssible to identify
the individual(s) responsible, the kitchen
group/flat members will be notified of the
damage and a request made for the person
responsible to own up. If it is impossible
to identify the individual(s) responsible, the
invoice will be issued to all students sharing
the facility, who will be held jointly liable.
Failure to settle a communal charge by the
deadline date will result in the total cost
being applied proportionately to individual
student accounts within the kitchen group
as well as an additional administrative
charge of £30 per person. Details of the
Rights of Appeal and Appeals Procedure
are given above.
Breaches of Health &
Safety Regulations and
Damage to Fire & Safety
University Regulation 7.4(e) states that
misconduct includes “action likely to cause
injury or impair health or safety on University
premises including:
(iii) Improper interference with the services or
plant of the University or the fabric of any
part of the University estate or with fire
alarm systems or fire fighting and safety
equipment including fire exits.
For the purpose of this policy, breaches
of health and safety, including damage
to fire and safety equipment, are divided
into three categories of escalating financial
penalties, reflecting the seriousness of the
offence. Where the student fails to pay the
penalty promptly the amount will be added
to his/her residential account, with an
additional £30 administration charge levied
by the Finance Office. Where more than
Disciplinary Code
one student is responsible, those involved
will be jointly liable to pay the penalty. In
cases where the perpetrator(s) cannot be
identified, the relevant group will be held
jointly liable.
Category 1 Penalty £50:
Fire doors rendered ineffective, whether
held open by insertion of a wedge or
propped open by the placement of a heavy
object, or by disabling/interference with
the door return device. Breaches of the
Accommodation Smoking Policy that do not
result in a fire alarm activation.
Category 2 Penalty £50-£100:
Smoke detectors covered over, removed
or disabled; any interference of fire
extinguishers, whether this involves moving
or removing; setting off; breaking the seal;
or otherwise tampering in any way. Leaving
ovens, cookers/cooking on and unattended
including microwaves. Tampering with any
extraction facility. Adequate extraction is
part of the University’s Fire Management
Strategy for dealing with cooking steam,
fumes etc. Breaches of the Accommodation
Smoking Policy that do result in a fire alarm
Category 3 Penalty £100-£250
Setting off a Fire Alarm by Negligence:
NB. Normally a single written warning will
be given in respect of this offence. Any
repetition of setting off a fire alarm by
negligence will result in the imposition of
a financial penalty up to £250 and a final
written warning. In all other instances,
as outlined below, students will incur the
financial penalty up to £250 regardless of it
being a first offence.
Setting off a Fire Alarm Maliciously:
Malicious damage of alarm call points:
breaking the glass or otherwise interfering
with the equipment when there is no
genuine need to do so. Although listed
under this category maliciously setting off a
fire alarm is also a criminal offence and can
attract a fine of £2,500 and/or imprisonment
for up to 1 year.
Refusal to evacuate in response to a fire
alarm or to comply with the instructions of
staff, Resident Tutors and/or Fire Officers
in attendance. The same penalties will
apply to students involved in equivalent
breaches in any part of the campus outside
of residences and will be applied through
the Head of Security in consultation with the
Head of Student Services.
An additional charge will be passed
on to the person(s) responsible in the
event that the University is required
to pay a charge by the Fire Service
for a malicious or negligent call-out
(approximately £1,000).
Items in this category may also constitute
criminal offences under the Fire and Rescue
Services Act 2004 S49 which states that a
person commits an offence if “he knowingly
gives or causes to be given a false alarm
of fire to a person acting on behalf of a
fire and rescue authority”, which carries
penalties from a fine of up to £1,000 and/or
imprisonment of up to three months.
NB: With effect from 1 January 2014 Fixed
Penalty Notices could apply to Category
1 and 2 above. See link: http://www.bath.
Flow Chart of Procedures
Stage 3 and 4
Problem - Minor disciplinary eg Noise and Unacceptable
Problem - Further misconduct following written warning;
Serious misconduct; Possessing, using or supplying any
unlawful drugs or illegal substances; Serious breaches of
H&S regulations and malicious damage to Fire & Safety
➜ ➜ ➜ ➜
Stage 1
Speak to person(s) causing the problem
Report to Head of Dept; SAWSM; SAEM; DOAH and/or
Head of Security and/or Head of Student Services
Problem reported to or raised by Operations or RT
Investigative interview within 7 days (see p28 for format)
➜ ➜ ➜
Accused admit(s) responsibility ➜Yes
No further
➜ ➜
No further
Final Written
and/or request
to vacate
residence and/or
financial penalty
imposed and
confirmed in
Recorded verbal warning given and recorded
on University Log
Stage 2
➜ No
No further action,
will be confirmed
in writing
Final Written
Warning and/or request to vacate residence and/or
financial penalty imposed and confirmed in writing
Report to SAWSM, Student Accommodation
Experience Manager (SAEM)
Accused accept(s) decision
➜ No ➜ No further
Sends written appeal to
Head of Student Services
within 7 days
Vacates residence
if requested and
pays any penalty
First written warning and recorded on University Log
and notified to appropriate Director of Studies
(No Right of Appeal)
➜ Yes
➜ ➜
➜ ➜ ➜
Accommodation Operations Manager (AOM)
Head of Security, as appropriate.
Misconduct proved
Interview result proves
➜ ➜
Problem - Repetition of Stage 1 problems; minor
damage to University property; minor breaches of H&S
regulations; damage to Fire & Safety Equipment.
Accused accept(s) decision
➜ Yes
➜ ➜ ➜
Head of Student Services investigates in accordance
with Preliminary Disciplinary Procedures available from
HSS office.
Issue resolved
Submit written appeal to University Secretary
within 7 days under formal University Regulations.
Complaints Procedure and Feedback
Complaints Procedure
Accommodation and Hospitality Services
is committed to delivering a professional
service to all its Customers and will act
to ensure an excellent level of service is
maintained at all times. All complaints are
treated very seriously as we strive to deliver
the best service possible. To ensure they
are managed correctly and fairly, we ask
that you follow the correct procedure as and
when there is an issue you wish to raise.
What to do if you have a complaint:
Stage 1: Minor Complaint:
•In the first instance bring your complaint
to the attention of a member staff (e.g.
Housekeeping or reception staff at
the Accommodation Centres), who
will aim to resolve the complaint by
informal discussion. Your complaint
will be registered and reviewed by the
Accommodation Operations Coordinator
of the area that your complaint relates to.
•If your complaint cannot be resolved at
Stage 1, your complaint will be passed
onto the Team Leader of the area that
your complaint relates to. You will receive
either a written or verbal response within
two working days.
If your complaint is of a more serious
nature and you wish to make a formal
written complaint please follow the
steps in Stage 2.
Stage 2: Written Complaint:
• A written complaint can be emailed to or submitted
in the form of a letter addressed to the
Sales and Quality Manager, East
Accommodation Centre, University of
Bath, Claverton Down, Bath, BA2 7PD.
•Our aim is to provide you with a written
reply within two working days of receipt
of a written complaint.
•If your complaint is of a complex nature,
which requires detailed investigation we
will inform you what is happening every
five working days until we can reply in full.
• All written complaints are recorded.
Following the outcome of Stage 2, if you
wish to pursue the matter further please
follow the steps in Stage 3
Stage 3:
•Write to either the Accommodation
Operations Manager or the Student
Accommodation Experience Manager,
University of Bath, Claverton Down, Bath,
BA2 7AY.
•Your complaint will be responded to in
five working days.
If the response received from either of
these two Managers is unacceptable you
may write to the Director of
Accommodation & Hospitality at the
same address within five working days of
receiving the response
For complaints unable to be resolved
within Accommodation & Hospitality
Services and which relate to student
accommodation and the UUK Code
of Practice please refer to the University’s
Complaints Procedure at:
Accommodation and Hospitality Services are committed to providing the highest standards
of customer care to their residents and customers. We provide a wide range of services and
facilities and we aim to provide the best possible service we can. If, for whatever reason, you
feel that the service you are receiving does not meet the standards of our Code of Practice,
please do not hesitate to speak to a member of the Housekeeping Office or report the
problem to the appropriate Accommodation Centre ie. West, East or City.
The University of Bath Campus
West Car Park
Eastwood Offices
20/21 22/23
Solsbury Cou
Lime New
Woodland Cou
The Quads
The Quads
East Car Park
East building
4S Anne
Tennis Courts
Bath Cats and Dogs Home
Amenities and Services
Car Parks
City Bus Service
(18, 410, 418)
Wessex House
Norwood House
Brendon Court
Polden Court
Solsbury Court
Marlborough Court
Woodland Court
The Quads
Central Administration
4 West (4W) Vice-Chancellor
WH Finance Office
Records &
4W Graduate Office
East Building Corporate Communications
East Building Development & Alumni
WH Faculty of Science
2 East (2E) Faculty of Engineering
and Design
1 West North (1WN) Faculty of Humanities and
Social Sciences
8 West (8W) School of Management
Library Reception
Security & Enquiries
2 Chaplaincy Centre
3 The Chancellors’ Building
4 Founders Hall
5 Athletics throws & jumps/
Modern pentathlon
6 Sports Training Village/Indoor
tennis/Sports Café
7 50m swimming pool
8 New Centre for the Arts (The Edge)
9 Arts Lecture Theatre
6 East (6E), (4E) Architecture & Civil Engineering 10 University Hall
4 South (4S) Biology & Biochemistry
11 Computing Services
2 South BUCS
12 Medical Centre
9 West (9W) Chemical Engineering
13 Student Centre, Students’ Union,
Fresh Express, Pitstop, Costa Coffee,
1 West (1W) Computer Science
Proper Pasty, Students’ Union Advice &
WH Division for Lifelong Learning Representation Centre
3 East (3E) Economics & International
14 Estates Office
15 Goods Received, Central Stores and
1 West (1W), 1WN Education (Coach Ecucation) Landscape
2E, 4E Electronic and Electrical
Westwood 16 West Accommodation Centre
17 Westwood Nursery
1WN European Studies & Modern 18 Fresh grocery store
19 Applied Biomechanics Suite
Eastwood Lodge Learning Support
20 Post Office, Banks & Shops
8W, WH Management
1 East,
4W Mathematical Sciences
Eastwood Lodge
4E, 6E Mechanical Engineering
8E Centre for Power Transmission & Motion Control
(Sports Engineering)
8W Imaging, Design & Print Services (IDPS)
3S Natural Sciences
5W, 7 West (7W) Pharmacy & Pharmacology
Woodland Court East Accommodation Centre
2W Claverton Rooms, Parade Bar, Fountain Canteen
2S - rear entrance, 5S Psychology
4W 4West Café
WH Research and Innovation
1 East Students’ Union Offices
Norwood House (NH) Careers Advisory Service
Eastwood 20-22 School for Health
NH Plug Bar & The Tub
3E Social & Policy Sciences
6W, 1S Sport and Exercise Science
City Life Campus Accommodation
University Residences
Thornbank Gardens
Bus Station
John Wood Complex
Bath Spa Railway Station
Carpenter House
Police Station
Pulteney Court
City of Bath College
Clevelands and Canal Wharf
Bus Stop
Car Park
Published July 2015