ADMINISTERING EMPLOYMENT CONTRACTS AND AGREEMENTS
One of the major responsibilities of supervisors is to be knowledgeable about policies and procedures, Merit Rules, negotiated contracts, and past practices. Most importantly, supervisors need to recognize which decisions require referencing official employment documents.
To ensure that decisions made by administrative staff are in accordance with laws, collective bargaining agreements and Merit Rules.
When issues or questions arise from staff, administrators should consult contracts before taking action.
1. Supervisor reviews the online copy of the current contract, pertinent policies and procedures, and Merit Rules.
2. Supervisor refers to the Policy Manual and Operational Procedures Manual, contracts and Merit Rules when a question arises on one of the following topics:
• Personnel matters (evaluations, job descriptions, promotions, hiring, etc.)
• Working hours or conditions
• Employee rights and responsibilities
• Hiring and assignments
• Compensation and benefits
• Conflicts and grievances
• Changes in job descriptions or assigned duties
3. Supervisor references appropriate source in all conversations and written communications regarding decisions and actions.
4. Supervisor consults with department director if she/he is uncertain or unclear about the appropriateness of decisions.
5. Supervisor and/or department director seek legal counsel if additional direction is required.
SONOMA COUNTY OFFICE OF EDUCATION
Policy Reference: SP/AR 4112.1/4212.1/4312.1, Employment Contracts andAgreements
Procedure approved: October 1, 1992