B.A. DEGREE EXAMINATION – SOCIOLOGY
FIFTH SEMESTER – SUPPLEMENTARY – JUNE 2012
Date : 28-06-2012
Time : 2:00 - 5:00
SO 5502 - SOCIOLOGY OF RELIGION
Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
WRITE A SHORT NOTE ON THE FOLLOWING IN ABOUT 30 WORDS EACH:
(10 x 2 = 20 marks)
1. Religion and Magic.
3. Sacred and Profane.
4. Religious Movements.
6. Religious State.
7. Religious Institutions.
8. Religion and Social Change.
9. Religion and Dalits.
ANSWER ANY FIVE QUESTIONS IN ABOUT 300 WORDS EACH:
11. Elucidate the importance of religious groups.
12. What is the need for religious tolerance?
Examine Durkheim’s perspective of religion.
14. Write briefly on the sociological aspects of Conversion in India.
15. Point out the functions and deysfunctions of religion.
16. Distinguish between Cult and Sect.
17. Write briefly on the Substantive approach to defining religion.
(5 x 8 = 40 marks)
Answer any TWO questions in about 1200 words each: (2 X 20 = 40 Marks)
18. Define Religion. Write an essay on the sociological approaches to religion.
19. Distinguish between Religious and Social Movements. How do religious movements bring about social change?
20. What is Social Stratification? Write an essay on the nature and structure of religious stratification in India.
21. Analyse the concept of religious freedom enshrined in Indian constitutions.