This summary sheet has been designed to provide you with information regarding how the
moving expenses reimbursement process works, what is covered for reimbursement and how
to complete the necessary forms. The guidelines have been set forth by the New York State
Department of Audit and Control and are administered by the University. Please note that if
you resign or voluntarily separate from the service of New York State within one year of your
appointment, you will be required to return the amount of relocation reimbursement you have
received as per the State Finance Laws and Regulations.
Moving Expenses Eligible for Reimbursement
Basic cost of moving household goods and personal effects up to 12,000 pounds by
commercial carrier. This includes loading, transporting, and unloading on one trip, one
way between your previous residence and the Binghamton area. If a carrier is not
authorized by the NYS Department of Transportation or the Interstate Commerce
Commission, two additional competitive bids are required.
Rental truck/trailer from commercial establishments. Two additional competitive bids
are required when labor charges are involved.
Moving expenses up to $200 if you do not use either a commercial carrier or rental
truck/trailer, provided documentation is submitted showing that such expenses were
actually incurred.
Cost of packing and/or unpacking of household goods and personal effects if such
services are provided by the carrier are used.
Storage of goods in-transit and for required warehouse handling.
Cost of additional insurance above the lowest valuation rate charged.
Hotel accommodations if the travel distance is more than a reasonable distance than
can be covered in one day.
Cost of transporting you and your family by automobile at current state rate for
reimbursement; payment is made for ONE automobile regardless of number owned or
actual method of transportation used.
Carton/packing materials; toll charges; mailing costs; gasoline for rental truck.
Moving Expenses NOT Eligible for Reimbursement
Cost of moving trailers other than house trailers used as your residence that involve
belongings related to commercial enterprises engaged in by your family.
Long distance telephone calls, car repairs, meals, lodging for travel when the distance is
capable of being traveled in one day.
Cost of towing a passenger vehicle by a moving company.
Cost of moving building materials; animals raised for profit, farming equipment,
livestock, or boats.
Procedures for Reimbursement
1. Note the maximum amount of reimbursable moving expensed noted in
correspondence from your Dean or Vice President and be sure to stay within the
limit indicated.
2. Collect original or carbon copies of all bills of lading/receipts showing payment in
full – please note photocopies are not acceptable.
3. All paperwork must be completed and filed with the Business Office on the fifth
floor of the Couper Administration Building within ONE year of your
appointment date. After one year, expenses are not reimbursable.
1. After gathering all original receipts, complete the STANDARD VOUCHER form (See
sample for guidance in completion.) Be sure that the amount of reimbursement you are
claiming is within the amount authorized by your Dean or Vice President. Be sure to
sign the form in #8 and indicate your title.
2. Complete form “Request for Reimbursement for Moving Expense Agreement,” (Form
1099 see sample for guidance in completion.) This form must be signed by the
employee AND by the appointing officer who in most cases will be the Dean or Vice
President of the division. In the case of Harpur College, Watson School, Decker School
of Nursing, GSOE, CCPA, SOM, the Dean will sign as appointing authority. In the case of
Administrative Affairs, Student Affairs, and External Affairs, the form should be signed
by the Vice President of that division.
3. Take both forms, appropriately signed and completed along with original receipts to
the Dean’s or Vice President’s office (as indicated in #2) for review. That office, after
review, will forward the reimbursement packet to the Business Office, fifth floor of the
Administration Building for processing.
For guidance, interpretation of rules, please speak with Rose Hassett in the Business Office,
Room 512 of the Administration Building, Ext. 74660.
Updated 3/2/15