The University of Houston Office of Sustainability is seeking a part-time student worker currently attending UH’s central campus to serve as the
The outreach assistant will work on campus engagement programs, execute outreach activities, plan and promote events, bolster relationships on campus and in the community and assist with general tasks for the Office of
Part-time or full-time student at the University of Houston central campus.
Skills and qualifications:
Superb communications and oral presentation skills
Experience planning events and building relationships
Interest in sustainability or desire to learn more
Self-motivated and capable of executing goals without assistance
Comfortable in a leadership position
Personable and willing to engage people at UH and in the surrounding communities
Promotional material design experience
Experience working in an office environment
Experience using the Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Design Suite
Experience leading projects and communicating with key stakeholders at a university
Job duties (role specific):
1. Assist in planning and development of sustainability outreach programs and events.
2. Develop promotion and logistic plans for sustainability events.
3. Execute logistics and branding pieces for sustainability events.
4. Evaluate outreach programs and events and make changes to programming based on that feedback.
5. Develop engagement strategies to connect with UH faculty, staff and students.
6. Assist in updates to UH Sustainability website.
7. Serve as point of contact through UH Sustainability email accounts, over the phone and in person.
8. Develop relationships and partnerships with community and campus groups.
9. Other office and communications duties as assigned.
Job duties (office specific):
1. Help with outreach events (planning, set up/breakdown, event execution).
2. Hold educational tablings at UH events and orientations as well as at outreach events in the Houston area.
3. Provide operational support to the Office of Sustainability and other Auxiliary Service programs (when necessary).
4. Conduct location scouting for recycling and sustainability improvements.
5. Help with promotional materials (creating, posting, laminating, cutting, folding, etc.).
6. Input and analyze data.
7. Attend weekly student sustainability team meetings.
8. Other outreach and office-related tasks as assigned.
Environmental conditions and physical effort:
Work mostly in an office environment. Exposed to some weather conditions (heat, rain, etc.) occasionally. Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
$10 an hour
Flexible schedules are granted based on the student’s course and extracurricular commitments. Full-time students cannot exceed 20 hours a week while class is in session; however, you may work 40 hours a week during winter, summer and spring breaks. You must work a minimum of 10 hours every week unless vacation or sick time has been requested. A background check is required.
Email Sarah Kelly at [email protected]
with a reference sheet, your resume and a cover letter expressing interest in the position and highlighting your qualifications. Learn more about UH sustainability at www.uh.edu/sustainability .