INSTRUCTIONAL STRATEGIES COMMITTEE MINUTES FOR 2014-2015

advertisement
For College Procedure
2.01.01.14: Committees
INSTRUCTIONAL STRATEGIES
COMMITTEE
MINUTES FOR 2014-2015
(Note: The chair must email the approved minutes to the IE Office for placement on the College web page.)
September 17, 2014
Valle Verde, B240
C.
Members Present: Elizabeth Acosta, Luis Gabaldon, Dr.
Christopher Kazanjian, Ricardo Lopez de Lara, Dean Gail
Meagher, Dr. Sandra Padilla, Blayne Primozich, Janine
Rudnick, Gale Kristin, Manuel Torres, Susan TruebloodSilva, Naomi Waissman
V.
I.
Meeting called to order at 3 p.m. -- Blayne
Primozich called the meeting to order
II.
Approval of minutes - minutes informally approved
III.
Introduction
History of Start Right and Instructional Strategies
Committee – Blayne
A.
General Discussion
A.
New Hire Expo this Fall 2014. New hirers
did not receive a flash drive with general
information.
The flash drives are from VP Smith’s
office. Feedback will be provided.
Each new and continuing member introduced
themselves
IV.
Instructional Strategies Committee
Achievements- In May 1, 2014 minutes –
The recent Alignment Summit at ASC and
the development of a Faculty Warehouse
via Lib Guide are recent achievements
B.
Possible Orientations for different groups
of faculty
1.
3 to 4 committees
1.
Entering Student – focus on
increasing student contact with the
college (ex: commercials,
registration, admissions, etc…)
2.
3.
2.
3.
4.
B.
Instructional Strategies – focus on
teaching, technology for student
success.
4.
Retention and early intervention
before 30 h
5.
Transition – completion after 30 h
Steering Committees – Recommendation
go to the Steering Committee which serves
as a clearinghouse and sets priorities that
are forwarded to the Leadership Team and
then on to the Cabinet. Shift in approach to
submitting many recommendations to
submitting 1 or 2 fully developed
recommendation to a steering committee
6.
7.
Nursing School developed an
orientation via a workshop to cover
basic information. Positive
feedback including from tenured
faculty.
Teachers for effective teaching
group. They are preparing a video to
be posted on the warehouse.
For accreditation, show that all new
faculty receive a similar orientation
for documentation.
Contact Dr. Linda Brown for
orientation module used for Title V
grant.
When faculty transitions from
contract to faculty, this group is
overlooked and does not receive an
orientation. For example, Banner
training.
Orientation workshops should be
mandatory.
Schedule during Faculty
development, and regulate a day for
new hirers. We need to find out who
is scheduling workshops for new
hirers. They also included benefits.
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
1
8.
VI.
2.
3.
4.
We will contact Celeste and Linda
Brown about New Faculty
Orientations.
5.
Goals
A.
6.
Goal is to populate the online warehouse.
Without advertisement the Warehouse is
the 7th most watched EPCC Library
Research Guide site. 1300 visits. People are
using mobile devices. It takes 4 steps from
EPCC home page; Current students, library,
library research guides, and then faculty
warehouse.
B.
Start Right Meeting on Oct. 20. 2 hours in
approximate length
C.
Oct and Nov meetings will be set for
Instructional Strategies
F.
4.
G.
D.
Suggestions- Cross training
2.
Continue to compile survey results
for Oct. 20. Discuss start points and
implementation.
2.
3.
4.
VII.
Forward ideas through emails.
Request more ideas.
Focus on EPCC. Collect existing
materials from different EPCC
departments
Warehouse is flexible with regard to
uploaded materials. Kristin is in
charge of populating the warehouse.
Send materials to her.
Kristin will summarize ideas
1.
Proceed with suggestions from the
Alignment Summit – There was a summit
(refer to minutes). Prior to the summit
surveys were collected from various
departments, and compiled data presented.
Developmental and credit course
instructors were present.
1.
Ideas from committee – Kristin
1.
2.
3.
Our focus is on instructors to improve so
that students succeed.
Campus information
Ice breakers
Promote home grown information
and videos.
Tape faculty development
workshops.
Tape paid speakers. Insert into
contracts that speakers will be paid.
Requests to email her for questions
before Oct. 20
Meetings will be scheduled at RG
There is no review process for
uploaded materials – Will need to
develop one
Examples: Need of an
organizational chart, updated with
current persons, budgets, scheduling
available rooms at each campus
Adjournment –4:10 p.m.
Minutes Submitted by: Naomi Waissman
E.
Faculty warehouse includes;
.
1.
Texas bill
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
2
November 21, 2014
Rio Grande Campus Library
Members Present: Elizabeth Acosta, Dean Dr. Eileen
Conklin, Luis Gabaldon, Michael Gonzalez, Dr. Christopher
Kazanjian, Maria Lopez, Dean Gail Meagher, Blayne
Primozich, Gale Kristin Sanchez, Charles Simien, Naomi
Waissman, Margarita Gonzalez
C.
V.
Develop Action Plan
Faculty Warehouse – under library resource guides
A.
Assign Topics
1.
I.
II.
Meeting called to order at 2:30 p.m. – Kristin
Sanchez called the meeting to order
2.
Approval of minutes -- minutes approved
unanimously
III.
Charge of the Instructional Strategies Committee –
Develop recommendations that facilitate instruction
to promote student success and retention
IV.
Alignment – align students coming from
developmental education into credit courses, and
find the gaps for preparedness. Surveys were given
to faculty in different disciplines. A summit was
held and faculty from credit and developmental
courses discussed results of the survey.
A.
B.
B.
Missing - specific roles that pertain
to faculty at EPCC
One page to connect students to a
program (funding)
Departments to get information
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
Distance – Naomi Waissman
Career Center – Christian Kazanjian
Library – Kristin Sanchez
Testing – Luis Gabaldon
Tutoring – Margarita Gonzalez
Honors – Naomi Waissman
Service Learning – Naomi
Waissman
CSD – Maria Lopez
Grants – Charles Simien
Counseling – Gail Meagher
Summit results are distributed to all at
meeting today
C.
Universal Course Design -- Blayne
distributed info
Reviewed and Discussed Categorized
Results
D.
Civitas Data -- Blayne distributed
information
E.
Gates Foundation Segmentation Study -Blayne shared some of the results
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
Single Sign on
Technology
Student Preparation
Reading
Math
Education 1300
Non-credit ESL
Credit ESL
Cross Training
Resources: Labs and tutoring
VI.
Next Meeting: February 2015 (Date to be
announced)
VII.
Adjourn
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
3
February 25, 2015
Rio Grande Campus Library
b.
Members Present: Elizabeth Acosta, Luis Gabaldon, Dr.
Christopher Kazanjian, Maria Lopez, Dr. Sandra Padilla,
Blayne Primozich, Janine Rudnick, Gale Kristin Sanchez,
Charles Simien
c.
3.
Meeting called to order at 3:40 p.m. -- Kristin Sanchez called
the meeting to order
Inform faculty about these
resources.
a.
I.
Approval of minutes -- minutes approved
unanimously
II.
Alignment of the Curriculum the next step
b.
A.
Discussed the need to hold a Faculty
Development Workshop in the Fall
1.
Invite participants from the
alignment summit to attend
2.
Document any changes that have
occurred because of these initiatives
III.
2.
Committee members have been sending
resources to Kristin. She has updated the
Warehouse with these additional sources.
Communication students have been helping
to create videos for adjunct faculty -Contact faculty regarding these videos
Importance of Cross training
1.
Instructors can help their
students with what they will
be expected to know.
Incorporate any
developments into the
Student Learning Outcomes - Measure the retention and
success rate.
Faculty Warehouse
A.
B.
Elizabeth Acosta will look at
You Tube Channels
Khan Academy is another
good tool.
Blackboard has a Resources area
which includes “Reading for
Science” – promote to the faculty
B.
Naomi Waissman may have developmental
videos – contact her regarding these videos.
Internet has numerous tools
a.
Janine Rudnick will look at
Reading tools
IV.
Next Meeting: Late Spring
V.
Adjourn: 4:30 p.m.
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
4
INSTRUCTIONAL STRATEGIES COMMITTEE
2013-2014 MINUTES
November 15, 2013
Rio Grande, E100E
Attendees: Dr. Eileen Conklin, Michelle Conklin, Michael
Coulehan, Gloria Estrada, Luis Gabaldon, Maria Lopez,
Blayne Primozich, William Robnett, G. Kristin Sanchez,
Martha E. Sanchez, Manuel Torres, Dr. Naomi Waissman
November. Topics will be discussed in more detail
at the next meeting.
IV.
Members Absent: Angelina Arellanes-Nunez, Margarita
Gonzalez, Gail Meagher, Lucia Rodriguez, Terry Sealing,
Susan Trueblood-Silva, Joel Villademoros
This group presents Faculty Development
Workshops on effective teaching strategies as well
to assist new Instructors with transitioning into the
community college environment. At this point the
group has not filmed workshops that can be used as
a module for faculty to view through the EPCC
website. Discussion of the possibility of Educators
for Effective Teaching to be videotaped during the
2014 Faculty Development Week Workshops, given
that the presenters and participants agree to being
taped. Mr. Fernandez will email the Committee on
topics that the Educators for Effective Teaching
have been working on that might be able to be used
as a module.
Call Meeting to Order: G. Kristin Sanchez called the
meeting to order at 3:00 p.m.
I.
Welcome
Introduction of committee members
II.
Update on the Instructional Strategies Standing
Committee Charge
G. Kristin explained the committee charge: “To
make recommendations that will facilitate
instruction which promotes student retention and
student success.”
III.
V.
Committee members will work on identifying topics
that can be part of the Faculty Warehouse.
Committee members were asked to email at least
five topics to G. Kristin Sanchez before the end of
Update on Developmental Educational Summit
IRB approval has been given regarding the survey
instrument. The survey will need to be given to
several disciplines and then set a time for the
developmental and credit disciplines to meet to
discuss the outcomes. Communication needs to take
place with the developmental education faculty
regarding what they can do to help students be
“ready” for credit classes. The survey questions
need to be narrowed and disciplines identified to
give the survey in Spring 2014.
Update on the Faculty Warehouse
The Faculty Warehouse would help Instructors
transition into the classroom as a “one stop shop.”
The EPCC Faculty Development Office Website
would house and maintain the modules. Modules
should be EPCC-based so that modules relate to
EPCC faculty. Possibly ask “in-house” for modules
that might already exist (ex. Curriculum Office,
SLO’s). Modules will not be mandatory for EPCC
faculty however, as an incentive, completion of
modules can be placed on Workshop Transcript
and/or Certificates given to those who complete
modules.
Update on Educators for Effective Teaching:
Nicholas Fernandez (guest)
VI.
Adjournment
Meeting was adjourned at 3:57 p.m.
Minutes submitted by: Michelle Conklin, November 6, 2013
.
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
5
February 27, 2014
Rio Grande, E100E
B.
Members Present: Dr. Eileen Conklin, Michelle Conklin,
Luis Gabaldon, Margarita Gonzalez, Maria Lopez, Gail
Meagher, Blayne Primozich, Lucia Rodriguez, Janine
Rudnick, G. Kristin Sanchez, Maria E. Sanchez, Susan
Trueblood-Silva, Dr. Naomi Waissman
G. Kristin Sanchez will compile the results
from the alignment survey and results will
be discussed on March 28, 2014 at the
Developmental Education Summit.
Committee members are encouraged to
attend the Summit.
Members Absent: Angelina Arellanes-Nunez, Michael
Coulehan, Gloria Estrada, William Robnett, Terry Sealing,
Manuel Torres
IV.
I.
Faculty Warehouse
A.
Call Meeting to Order:
Approval of Minutes
Approved
III.
Topics
G. Kristin Sanchez discussed the
topic/categories that were suggested by
committee members to be housed in the
Faculty Warehouse which has been
developed as an EPCC Lib Guide. If
committee members want to add topics to
the list they can e-mail G. Kristin Sanchez.
G. Kristin Sanchez called the meeting to order at
3:03 pm
II.
Developmental Education Summit
Alignment
B.
A.
Videos
Survey
Videos can be inserted through the EPCC
Lib Guide. Suggestions for videos were
taping on-going Faculty Development
Workshops, Teachership Academy and
Webinars. Committee Members suggested
that all “paid speakers” brought in to speak
at a College event and/or workshop should
be videotaped.
An alignment survey was conducted for the
History, Government and Biology
disciplines. Another survey will be
distributed among the English, Chemistry,
Physics, Psychology, Nursing, Accounting
and Math.
G. Kristin Sanchez gave a brief overview of
an alignment survey created through EPCC
Lib Guides. Committee members gave
input on possible question/qualifiers on the
Alignment survey. G. Kristin Sanchez will
make revisions to the alignment survey and
then the survey will be submitted to the
IRB. Once the alignment survey is
approved, the survey will be sent to faculty.
G. Kristin Sanchez will receive the results
via email.
V.
Adjournment
Meeting was adjourned at 4:16 p.m.
Minutes Submitted by: Michelle Conklin, February 28, 2014
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
6
May 1, 2014
Rio Grande, E100E
Members Present: Michelle Conklin, Michael Coulehan,
Gloria Estrada, Gale Meagher, Blayne Primozich, William
Robnett, Janine Rudnick, G. Kristin Sanchez, Martha
Sanchez, Manuel Torres, Dr. Naomi Waissman
IV.
G. Kristin Sanchez has developed a Lib Guide based
on the suggestions that the Instructional Strategies
Committee have given/discussed this past academic
year. There are still some areas that can be added
and/or enhanced in the future. One thing to keep in
mind is that not all faculty will have access to media
on their office computers. It was suggested that
outside presenters to be videotaped and then put on
the Faculty Warehouse for faculty to view and
receive Faculty Development credit for viewing the
presentation(s). It was also suggested that EPCC
faculty be informed about the Faculty Warehouse
during Faculty Development Week.
Members Absent: Angelina Arellanes-Nunez, Dr. Eileen
Conklin, Luis Gabaldon, Margarita Gonzalez, Maria Lopez,
Lucia Rodriguez, Terry Sealing, Susan Trueblood-Silva
I.
Call Meeting to Order:
G. Kristin Sanchez called the meeting to order at
3:05 pm.
II.
Faculty Warehouse
Approval of Minutes
V.
Elections
Approved
III.
By consensus, Dr. Naomi Waissman will be
Secretary and G. Kristin Sanchez will be Chair
beginning with the 2014-2015 academic year.
Alignment
Summit Survey Results: .The Alignment Summit
Power Point will be sent to faculty. A total of 32
participants, 4 campuses’ and 11 disciplines were
represented at the Alignment Summit. Mr.
Primozich will summarize the comments made by
the participants during the Alignment Summit.
Suggestions included: Reviewing content of EDUC
1300 course and more importantly looking to see if
students could be required to take EDUC 1300 their
first semester at EPCC, having one email address,
having one Learning Management System, and
following-up from Alignment Summit to faculty that
attended. These ideas for the Alignment Summit
will try to be implemented Fall 2014.
VI.
Adjournment
Meeting was adjourned at 3:52 p.m.
Minutes Submitted by: Michelle Conklin
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
7
INSTRUCTIONAL STRATEGIES COMMITTEE
2012-2013 MINUTES
October 18, 2012
Rio Grande, A121
working when during regular Faculty
Development Workshops.
Attendees; Gloria Estrada, Angelina Arellanes Nunez,
Michael Coulehan, Naomi Waissman, Manny Torres,
Michelle Conklin, Christina Sharp, and Jan Lockhart
3.
I.
II.
Welcome and Introduction – The meeting began at
3:10 p.m. Members introduced themselves
Assessment Measures:
Quick Re-cap of Last Year’s Activities – Christie
Sharp developed a summary table of recommendations
that was distributed to all. The recommendations had
also been sent to members to “vote” on the top two.
The purpose of the meeting was to develop assessment
measures for the two that were selected. The Faculty
Training Module Recommendation received the most
votes; there was a tie between the JStor Database
Recommendation and the Developmental
Education/Credit Summit. Members voted
unanimously for the Developmental Education/Credit
Summit.
1.
The Task Force should develop a “presurvey” to identify needs and prioritize
those needs that are identified.
2.
Track number of views or “hits” to the
videos
3.
The Task Force should develop a Postsurvey gauging qualitative information (and
quantitative) information about the videos
4.
The Task Force should develop a
continuous survey to identify needs and to
prioritize those needs for future videos.
5.
A self-test should be developed for each
video (similar to the one used for “Sexual
Harassment Workshops”) so that faculty
viewing the videos can receive faculty
development credit.
III. Assessment Plan for Faculty Training Modules:
The two recommendations that were selected were the
Faculty Training Modules and the Developmental
Ed/Credit Summit.
A.
Faculty Training Module – This entails
developing video segments focusing on new
faculty training with topics such as how to
develop syllabi, how to set up a lab, how to
develop effective time management techniques,
how to handle discipline problems, etc. Two
faculty modules were recommended for
completion per each long semester (Fall and
Spring).
1.
2.
The Committee recommended that a Task
Force be created to develop the Faculty
Training Modules. This would include (1)
developing surveys; (2) developing scripts;
(3) recruiting faculty “actors”; (4)
reviewing assessment modules and revising
process as necessary.
The Training Modules would be videotaped and posted online to make them
accessible to adjunct faculty who may be
The Modules should be available to all
faculty.
B.
Dev. Ed./Credit Summit: The plan for this
recommendation is to have a meeting to share
the results of the Instructional Strategies
Alignment Task Force. The Task Force
surveyed the History, Government, and Biology
Disciplines to find “gaps” between the skills set
students have and the skills set they need to
succeed in reading intensive courses.
Discussion will follow to identify strategies to
help close these “gaps.”
Assessment Measures:
1.
At least three strategies per discipline
(History, Government, Biology, and Dev.
Ed) should be developed at the summit that
can be implemented within the academic
year.
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
8
2.
Each discipline should develop their
measurements for success, i.e., percentage
of retention increase, number of instructors
implementing strategies, number of
strategies implemented, etc.
3.
The disciplines and Dev. Ed should meet
again after the strategies have been
implemented to share information.
4.
IV.
The Summit Participants should have the
opportunity to develop additional strategies
and to recommend the next three credit
disciplines that should be involved in this
“alignment” process.
Adjournment: The meeting adjourned at 4:15 p.m.
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
9
February 19, 2013
Rio Grande, A121
Members Present: Dr. Eileen Conklin, Michelle Conklin,
Gloria Estrada, Luis Gabaldon, Gail Meagher, William
Robnett, Gale Kristin Sanchez, and Naomi Waissman
o
Members Absent: Michael Coulehan, Margarita Gonzalez,
Janet Lockhart, Angelina Nunez, Lucia Rodriguez, Martha
Sanchez, Terry Sealing, Cristina Sharp, Susan Silva, Manuel
Torres, and Joel Villademoros

Need a “bridge” for development
education students to advance to regular
classes.

Funding for the summit will be available,
but it has been recommended that the
committee survey more disciplines prior.
Call Meeting to Order:

Gap Example: Students have trouble
writing answers on short answer and
essay tests.
Gloria Estrada called the meeting to order at 3:12.
o
Disciplines already surveyed
include: Biology, Government, and
History.
I.
Welcome
II.
Update on Recommended Proposals

“Statway” was mentioned
The Instructional Strategies Committee has been
asked to begin working on the implementation of the
top two recommended proposals submitted to
leadership. The top two proposals include creating
Faculty Training Modules and having a
Developmental Education Summit.

Need to start a workgroup to begin
working on this recommendation.
A.
Would need to adjust the survey for
the different disciplines for example
to include charts, lab manuals, etc. as
needed
Faculty Training Modules


B.
o
III.
Members of the committee are asked to choose the
workgroup they would like to help with: Faculty
Training Modules or the Developmental Education
Summit. Each recommendation needs to be broken
down into workable tasks. The framework needs to
be completed by Fall 2013.
A committee is currently writing a minigrant to begin working on creating some
faculty training modules.
 Michelle Conklin and G. Kristin Sanchez
volunteered to work on the Faculty Training
Modules.
 Bill Robnett and Naomi Waissman volunteered
to work on the Developmental Education
Summit.
Developmental Education Summit

Workgroup Assignments
Need to start a workgroup to begin
working on the modules. This would
include training, breaking up the tasks,
identifying the subject matter to be
presented, working with IT to determine
the technology needed, writing scripts,
etc.
The summit would bring together faculty
from the disciplines that were surveyed
along with the developmental education
faculty to address the gaps identified in
student’s skills.
o
o
Gap Example: Vocabulary. Some
students are eligible to enroll in
Government, but their vocabulary
level is too low.
Gap Example: Students cannot read
a chart in a math class.
 Luis Gabaldon will assist with either workgroup.
 Gloria Estrada will e-mail the committee
members not in attendance and ask them to
select a workgroup on which they will serve.
IV.
Election of new Chair and Secretary
Members of the committee are asked to nominate
someone for the positions of President and Secretary
for the upcoming year. We can do this online. Just
send the nominations to Gloria Estrada.
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
10
V.
Adjournment
Meeting was adjourned at 3:25 p.m.
Minutes submitted by: G. Kristin Sanchez
February 25, 2013 *** Minutes approved via e-mail 2/25/13
to 3/4/13
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
11
INSTRUCTIONAL STRATEGIES COMMITTEE
2011-2012 MINUTES
September 21, 2011
Valle Verde C201
Members Present: Blayne Primovich, Naomi Waissman, G.
Kristin Sanchez, Jan Lockhart, Bill Robnett, Steve Smith, Sue
Selk, Lucia Rodriguez, Cristina Sharp, Enayatallah
Kalantarian and Gloria Estrada
Members Absent: Myshie Pagel, Susan Silva, Michael
Coulehan, Martha Sanchez, Barbara Baird and Ernie Soto

It is requested that this team make follow-up
recommendations.
o
Provide the names of team members interested
in implementation.
Faculty Warehouse: Dedicated space that is digital/online
that will provide “best practices” instructional tools for
faculty.
Call Meeting to Order:


Gloria Estrada called the meeting to order at 3:30.
Discussed that it would be beneficial to include the
counselor’s Student Success workshops online as
one of the tools in the warehouse.
Welcome and Introductions:

Faculty Mentoring:
All members present introduced themselves.

Charge for Standing Committee:

The charge for the standing committee is to continue
to make recommendations for each team area, but
not to begin implementation. If standing committee
members would like to continue with the
implementation phase, they need to indicate that on
the recommendation form.
Recommendations were sent back to the
Instructional Strategies committee for refinement.
Alignment:

The alignment team was charged with testing their
model one more time with two disciplines or with
writing/reading and another discipline (History and
Government have already been tested against
writing skills)
Update on Steering Committee:


Discussion:
The recommendations from last year are currently
under review.

The Steering Committee has requested that the
Instructional Strategies Committee continue to make
recommendations in each of the team areas.
o
o
o
There is a form to be filled out by each team.
If anyone is interested in the implementation
phase for their team, include your name on the
form.
An administrator will contact you.
Update on Standing Committee Recommendations:
o
This needs to be reviewed to address needs of
students who are not computer literate or have
different learning styles.
Subcommittees:
Alignment: Tasked with looking at common skills through
different disciplines.

Piloted: What writing skills needed in government
and history?

Steering committee states that we need one more test
and then it will be completed.
The recommendations from last year included:
Learning Emporium: A learning emporium was
recommended for writing and reading.
In reference to emporiums, discussed that there is
currently an unbalanced number of emporiums
offered over the traditional face-to-face setting.
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
12
Learning Communities: Ways at enhancing existing
learning communities.

Need to recruit students and get faculty involved.

Clarify the role of the 3rd year peer review
committee so that they can be more involved in
mentoring.

Need to ensure that adjunct faculty are also
included.
Continuing Education for Faculty (Faculty Warehouse):

Recommendations include part time professional
leave for faculty that was approved

Incentives to go to conferences (Example: if you are
teaching something new or would like to publish)
Please select one of the teams and e-mail Gloria Estrada
with your choice. Please e-mail her by next week. She
will then send out a list of team members so that the
teams can meet prior to the October meeting.
Future Meetings and Locations:
Universal Course Design: Design a course that would
include all students – all students will be accommodated.
People learn differently, so it will include hard copy and
online options and a variety of teaching techniques.







Core team from this committee was formed.
Gave a faculty development presentation.
They recommended it be implemented as this is
occurring nationwide.
ADA rules are involved for compliance.
Any activities we plan to do, we must be able to
assess it.
Gates DEI money available to bring in an expert for
a workshop.
Should be approved
Learning Emporium: Writing/Reading Emporium


Irma Camacho is piloting a program in face to face
courses. She will visit our committee to give us an
update.
It was decided that the meetings will be held at one
centralized location. It was decided that the meetings will be
held at the Rio Grande campus in either the library
conference room or Queen Anne building conference room.
Other Business:

Next meeting will be held Tuesday, October 11th, at
3:30 p.m. in the Rio Grande Library Conference
Room (E100E).

Teams need to meet prior to the meeting on October
11th.
Adjournment:
Meeting was adjourned at 4:10 p.m.
G. Kristin Sanchez
Secretary, Instructional Strategies Committee
More research needs to be done on writing/reading
emporiums
Faculty Mentoring: This recommendation has been merged
with Continuing Education for Faculty.

Recommend that mentoring does not wait until 3rd
year of tenure; it should begin in the first year.
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
13
October 11, 2011
Rio Grande Library Conference Room
Members Present:
Michael Coulehan, Blayne
Primozich, Naomi Waissman, G. Kristin Sanchez, Bill
Robnett, Sue Selk, Lucia Rodriguez, Cristina Sharp,
Enayatallah Kalantarian, Susan Silva and Gloria Estrada
Members Absent: Myshie Pagel, Jan Lockhart, Steve
Smith, Martha Sanchez, and Ernie Soto
Update from Teams
Learning Communities
 Coordinator position will be vacant.
o Will need administrative support to continue.
o Counselor enhancement is going forward.
 Recommended that learning communities be added to
CCSSE survey.
Review and Approval of Minutes
 Gloria Estrada called the meeting to order at 3:32 p.m.
Minutes were approved with corrections to member’s
names.
o Capturable data will be gained by added two or three
learning communities to the survey.
Alignment Team
Update on Steering Committee:
 Next choice to survey will be Science
Learning Emporium
 Task force is looking for space for writing and reading
emporiums.
o Discussed whether the math emporium could be used
for the learning emporiums as well.
 Availability will need to be determined.
o Discussed Computers on Wheels (COWs)
 Research component was not addressed.
o Need to conduct research on other types of learning
emporiums.
o The Developmental Education Committee for English
is currently doing some preliminary research on
Learning Emporiums [update that came to us after our
meeting.
 No model for learning emporiums.
 No learning emporium team is needed from this
committee – the recommendations have already been sent
forth.
o Members wishing to serve on task force can give
name to Gloria Estrada and she will forward the
names to Dennis Brown who is naming Task Force
Members.
Faculty Warehouse
o Permission obtained
o Survey will be online
 Received and compiled data from History
 Will discuss the instrument and how it should be
improved with the History Department in January 2012.
 Create an overview of each discipline
o Enable developmental courses to help students be
successful in regular courses
o Instrument to show how the students flow from
developmental to regular courses.
Continuing Education
 Conference Incentives for faculty if they teach something
new or would like to publish.
 Permission was granted for Part Time Faculty to take
leave for a class.
Faculty Mentoring
 Mentor faculty all the way through tenure
o Create teams of tenured faculty to visit with tenure
track faculty and check on their progress
o Discussed beginning peer review process during first
year.
 Recommendations have been received.
o This is complete unless task force suggests more
research.
 Members wishing to serve on task force submit
names to Gloria Estrada.
 Adjunct faculty could be mentored as well
 Needed to provide a place for faculty to turn to for
assistance.
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
14
 Webpage needs to be created to store
resources/information
Learning Committee team is currently on hold.
o Teaching materials
 Assignment advice/ presentations/classroom
management/ pacing
Learning Emporium team can come up with implementation
ideas and submit it to the task force or committee members
can ask to be on the task force.
 Teachership Academy would be a good resource
Instructional Strategies Committee will meet again in
February 2012.
 Required workshops
Other Business:
o General Pedagogy
 Syllabus Building
Continuing Education would like to revisit purchasing the
JSTOR database collection.
o Subject Specific
Adjournment:
Meeting was adjourned at 4:27 pm.
Universal Course Design
 Syllabus format/design
Future Meetings and Locations:
Universal Course Design and Continuing Education/Faculty
Mentoring teams will continue to meet and come up with
recommendations.
G. Kristin Sanchez
Secretary/ Instructional Strategies Committee
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
15
February 8, 2012
Rio Grande Library Room E100E
Members Present: Blayne Primozich, G. Kristin Sanchez,
Jan Lockhart, Bill Robnett, Michael Coulehan, Susan Silva,
Cristina Sharp, Myshie Pagel, and Gloria Estrada
new faculty could then be required to attend or view one or
two of the modules or workshops under each category. Some
of the modules or workshops can be required and the others
can be chosen depending on the instructor’s need.
Members Absent: Martha Sanchez, Ernie Soto, Naomi
Waissman, Steve Smith, Sue Selk, Lucia Rodriguez, and
Enayatallah Kalantarian
Monetary offerings (possibly from mini-grants) for faculty
members developing modules and workshops was discussed.
Call Meeting to Order:
Start Right Committee approved the recommendation for
forwarding to the Steering Committee.

Gloria Estrada called the meeting to order at 3:30.
Update on Standing Committee Recommendations:
Faculty Mentoring Team
The Faculty Mentoring Team met and came up with the
following recommendations:
Training Modules and Workshops
This committee discussed the importance of helping new
faculty (full-time and adjunct) adjust to teaching. New
teachers do not always know the “basics” of teaching or
classroom management.
The committee recommends that face-to-face workshops and
online modules be created and offered to faculty for
instructional and class management supports. The online
component is important to ensure that adjunct faculty have an
opportunity to attend. Additionally, it was discussed that all
faculty members could also benefit from the workshops and
modules to help them keep up with new technology and
teaching strategies.
Developmental Ed/Credit Summit
This committee discussed holding a summit between the
Developmental Education and Credit instructors. At this
summit we will share the results of the Alignment Surveys
from the Instructional Strategies Alignment Team to discuss
gaps identified, possible curriculum changes, etc…
Alignment Survey test groups were from the high failure rate
courses (Government, History, and Biology). It is the
intention then that other disciplines will develop their own as
well.
An additional issue that needs to be considered includes:
financial aid changes (cannot repeat as many courses because
financial aid only covers 12 semesters).
The goal is to get curriculum changes in disciplines to help
address the gaps in students’ skills set that were identified in
the Alignment surveys.
Start Right Committee approved the recommendation for
forwarding to the Steering Committee.
JSTOR
The role of the Teachership Academy was considered. It was
discussed that the modules and workshops would be able to
provide detailed strategies and supplemental instructional
material that is not possible in the Teachership Academy due
to time constraints.
Suggested topics for workshops include enforcing a texting
policy, teaching strategies, class management, pacing in a
minimester, syllabus construction, pedagogical, as well as
discipline specific topics (ex: setting up a lab), counselor
workshops on strategies for teaching learning disabled and
students with disabilities, and CSD workshops.
Faculty member, Stacy Mayo, had worked on a similar
project in the past. It is possible that the modules she created
are still in place, so that these could be utilized as well.
It was discussed that the modules and workshops could be
grouped into categories such as: syllabus, text, administrative
duties(grades, leave requests), policies, and procedures. The
This committee discussed establishing a professional library
for faculty continuing education. JSTOR is an online
database containing scholarly articles.
It was discussed that credit could be granted to faculty for
accessing the scholarly articles/research. It was mentioned
that all databases should be included for the granting of credit
due to the fact that some databases are geared towards
specific disciplines.
It was discussed as to why this database is not already part of
the databases owned and it was explained that the library’s
needed additional funding to purchase and sustain a new
database.
Start Right Committee approved the recommendation for
forwarding to the Steering Committee.
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
16
find out what other like institutions are doing. Looking at
dual education and credit and also solely credit learning
communities. Would like to offer morning, afternoon, and
evening.
Alignment Team
The Biology department is finishing their survey.
Universal Course Design Team
Future Meeting and Location:
Team will have 2 recommendations to come forward.
The next committee meeting will be held after Spring Break.
Steering Committee:
The recommendations from the teams will go forward to the
steering committee and we will receive reports and updates
from previous recommendations.
G. Kristin Sanchez
Secretary/ Instructional Strategies Committee
February 15, 2012
Other Business:
Task force for counselor enhanced learning communities has
been formed. Have 6 or 7 committee members. Tasked to
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
17
INSTRUCTIONAL STRATEGIES COMMITTEE
2010-2011 MINUTES
September 8, 2010
Valle Verde C201
I.
Sue Selk welcomed all returning members and
Christina Sharp as the new leader of the Start Right
Initiative.
II.
Minutes from spring 2010 were approved via email in
May 2010.
III.
IV.
Sue Selk will stay on as the chair this academic year,
however the committee needs to elect a chair-elect to
service in 2010/11 and then as chair in 2011/12. Susan
Silva will continue as secretary. Enayat Kalantarian
and Gloria Estrada expressed interest in this position.
Clarification as to terms of service to the committee
needs to be made and so this item was tabled until the
October meeting.
Silva to address this issue. We would like to
invite Daryl to the committee meeting in
October to understand the limitations (if any) of
Banner.
C.
Mentoring – There has been a new committee
set up and charged with this particular item. Its
duty on this committee is under question.
D.
Continuing Education for Faculty – Joel
Villdemoros reported that the Professional
Development had changed the procedure for
short-term leave. It is now possible for faculty
to receive a reduced course load and take a class
at the university. Proposals for a series of
workshops to be offered to staff and faculty
could come from this start right committee.
Such courses could be presented in 5 or six
workshops throughout the semester or academic
year (i.e. using technology in the classroom)
with the payoff being that the faculty are sent
then to a conference to present and represent
EPCC.
E.
Universal Design met and decided to ramp up
the efforts by showcasing the work already done
by the faculty at a meeting next month. Faculty
are to bring examples of what they have done
since the workshop presentation in the spring
2010.
Team Reports
A.
Alignment – Blayne Primozich reported that a
survey had been completed by some of the fulltime Government faculty and that data was
being compiled. The committee should have
data and a model this academic year for other
disciplines to follow.
B.
Learning Communities – A summit is being
proposed along with DEDP grant enhancement
to the current LC program. Any expansion
needs to be proceeded by supportive
infrastructure that facilitate student enrollment
rather than block it. A meeting with Daryl
Hendry is proposed for Sue Selk and Susan
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
18
October 8, 2010
Transmountain C201
Members: Maria del Socorro Arteaga, Barbara Baird, Gloria
Estrada, Roselia Galindo, Jan Lockhart, Myshie Pagel (VV),
Blayne Primozich, Sue Selk (Chair), Cristina Sharp, Susan
Silva, Joel Villademoros, Enayat Kalantarian, Luis Retana,
Oscar Velasquez, Alberto Villegas.
Sue Selk welcomed all members
October minutes approved with addition of members present
and correction to Cristie Sharp’s title (Coordinator, not
Leader).
Steering Committee Report – Sue Selk reported that the
recommendations and discoveries that were made by our
committee have been put into a chart by Cristie Sharp. At the
November meeting we will see that chart and have some
follow up about what is happening with the
recommendations. Recommendations can come from:
Student Success Core Team, DE Council, or any of our
committees on Start Right. The recommendations may
appeal to DEI Grant money if it is related to Developmental
Education. The teams need to continue to make
recommendations.
Gloria is due to rotate off the committee, however she will be
re-appointed so that she may serve as Chair-Elect.
Learning Emporiums are something that this committee can
research and make recommendations about.
A draft of the team lists was passed out and correction were
made. Sue will modify and send out to all.
Alignment Committee – Blayne brought the results of the
Government discipline survey (copy attached). Subcommittee might meet to notice commonalities and discuss
further with the Government discipline. Need to have
common questions model for other disciplines.
Learning Communities – a presentation was made to show
the process of registration and the outcome of the meeting
with Daryl Hendry. Right now nothing can be done about the
process of registration. UTEP may have ideas. Learning
Communities needs to look into running an article in the
school newspaper and developing an insert for advertising in
the paper which is published every two weeks.
Continuing Education for Faculty – Maricopa has had a
virtual faculty development that may be explored. Perhaps we
can develop a “warehouse” of ideas on line.
Mentoring – Staff and Faculty – There are volunteers to
mentor faculty, but no faculty to be mentored. The buy in
was discussed. Perhaps there can be a banquet or other such
offering for those participating.
Universal Design – Will begin sharing ideas for presentation
of material to students, assignments, syllabi adaptions and
other notions to include this theory in all aspects of courses.
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
19
November 3, 2010
Northwest Campus
mentor or mentee. Many institutions have
an entire department devoted to
mentoring.
Members Present: Roselia Galindo, Enayat Kalantarian, Jan
Lockhart, , Myshie Pagel, Blayne Primozich, , Sue Selk,
Susan Silva, Joel Villademoros, Lucia Rodriguez, Cristina
Sharp, Oscar Velasquez, Alberto Villegas
• EPCC has no-mentoring program.
• Stacy Mayo has tried to get a mentoring
program going.
I.
Meeting called to order 3:30
II.
October minutes approved with corrections
III.
Steering committee report from Sue Selk
• Perhaps mentoring could be tied to the
Tenure Process.
A.
Recommendations
•
B.
Alignment - The committee didn't meeting
October, but has the results of the
Government response. Committee is due to
meeting to discuss surveying the History
discipline with the same model questions and
then progressing in the New Year with editing
or modifying the survey questions as deemed
needed.
IV.
Team Reports
A.
Alignment - as stated in III.b.
B.
Learning Communities: Recommendation
needs to be made to streamline the
registration process. Daryl Hendry shared
with Sue Selk and Susan Silva during their
meeting last month that the Banner system is
being updated and so then perhaps the system
for registering for a Learning Community can
be modified to eliminate the "error" message
of the "co-requisite" and replaced with a
"pop-up" YOU HAVE REGISTERED FOR
ONE-HALF OF A LEARNING
COMMUNITY. YOU MUST REGISTER
FOR ITS PARTNER CLASS AS WELL.
C.
Mentoring:
• Teachership Academy is still going on and
that may be seen as a "mentoring"
program of sorts.
• For Faculty/Staff/Administrator mentoring
there are 40 Volunteers.
• Research into other institutions found that
most like institutions have a mentoring
program with pay or incentive to be a
Could bring back the Master Teacher
program with groups of colleagues in your
classroom to watch you several times a
semester and then report out at meetings
involving only the participant. Program
should include adjunct, lecturers, tenuretrack instructors and tenured instructors.
There should be an incentive.
• Perhaps also mentoring could include in
its tenure-track progress an annual review
from peers. In this way any concerns
could be headed off long before the 3rd
year review.
• The Mini-Grants from Professional
Development could apply to different
groups of instructors wishing to start a
profession mentor/review group every
semester. Different groups would reapply for the grant every semester.
• As a college we also need to begin a
"warehouse of best practices" accessible
through the EPCC website. Lesson plans,
guidance, advice.
• JStore data of professional academic
journals could be used for Reading Group
materials. Could be used for a trial period
for free. UTEP has JStore and we have a
partnership with UTEP. Perhaps we could
use the University's account.
Next meeting first Wednesday in February 2011. SubCommittees were invited to meeting separate from the whole
committee during the interim.
Adjourn 5:05 p.m.
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
20
February 16, 2011
Valle Verde Campus
recommendations. TractDat may be the place
to collect those recommendations. The SACS
report will include those recommendations if
it is tracked on TractDat. We are shifting IE
Committee to Strategic Planning in areas
other than Program Review.
Members Present: Enayat Kalantarian, Cristina Sharp,
Myshie Pagel, Sue Selk, Susan Silva, Barbara Baird, Roselia
Galindo, Oscar Velasquez, Blayne Primozich
I.
Meeting called to order 3:30
II.
November minutes approved with correction (Gloria
and Oscar)
III.
The next Steering Committee will meet in March
and Sue will report back to us at that time.
We need to recommend that we survey the
faculty to ask if they would like to reinstitute
a Faculty Mentoring. Faculty should be
surveyed at the Faculty Retreat. Maybe it
could be handled through Faculty
Development instead from this committee.
As a committee perhaps we could start considering
letting go of some of our charges, maybe in the form
of recommendation. Should the people who
generate the ideas also be on the "task force?" Place
on the agenda of the Steering Committee what is the
"job" of the individual committees?
Recommendations only
IV.
D.
Team Reports
A.
Alignment -- The History discipline has been
given the survey. When we receive those
surveys back, we will categorize and rank
those answers. Blayne is trying to create a
flow chart. Shirley Gilbert would like to see
anything the committee has come up with or
worked on. Susan will email Albert
Burnham to request that the History discipline
continue to turn those into Blayne or another
committee member.
B.
Learning Communities -- Planning a visit
from Skagit Valley's Maureen Pettit with
potential dates in March to meet with faculty,
data people, administration, DE Council,
counselors, registration. Administration
dinner.
C.
Faculty/Staff Mentoring – Joel needs support
to restart a faculty/faculty mentoring system.
We are unclear whether we are to recommend
the survey (attached) or whether we actually
try to do the survey.
Blayne will pitch to the IT Committee to pay
for the access price for academic journals.
V.
Blayne suggestions: What happens to all the
recommendations? In a 3 year cycle - a unit
administrator must address those
Continuing Education for Faculty – One of
the BLC presenter advised Sue to go the
Honolulu site. We could create our own.
Sharepoint could be used as a webpage.
Myshie will do some research to find a more
user-friendly format than Sharepoint. Gloria
might have a solution with what they use with
the dual credit supplemental reader.
Blackboard might be an available venue. We
might be able to set up a "dummy" page for
the recommendation. "Warehouse."
E.
Universal Course Design -
F.
Learning Emporiums – Recommendations:
Institution should explore Learning
Emporium in areas other than Math, in a
variety of different delivery methods. There
are other models: Buffet, FlexMode.
Disciplines need to become informed. Need a
clarification from Dr. Brown about whether
he expects to see recommendations
Other Business: Sue will send the template for the
recommendation form and the members of our
smaller committees
All committees will bring a draft of
recommendations from their areas.
Next meeting April 6, 2011 3:30 p.m.
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
21
April 6, 2011
Valle Verde Campus
Members Present: Enayat Kalantarian, Cristina Sharp, Sue
Selk, Susan Silva, Oscar Velasquez, Blayne Primozich, &
Alberto Villegas
stakeholder. Under Resources: give examples of incentives:
conference participation.
Learning Community: recommendations should include an
English class pairing instead of EDUC 1300 since the
counselor who would work with the LC would teach several
of the EDUC 1300 subjects. Also that would include another
discipline and perhaps be appealing to DEI money.
Meeting called to order 3:33
Minutes postponed for quorum
Sue began the meeting by telling us that our recommendation
can be going to places other than the Core Team. The other
teams of the Start Right Committee have asterisks that relate
to DEI grant and therefore, must be done. There is not a
prioritizing of recommendations
Alignment: 1-3 is what the committee has done. 4-8 is the
process after the survey. The instrument might be transferred
to some other committee to continue the work. The Content
instructors should probably be given the objectives for the
DE courses prior to the meeting that should be held between
DE instructors and content instructors.
Began discussion with Recommendations:
Electronic Warehouse – contact stakeholders before
submitting
Learning Emporiums: Using space that is already
designated for Math Emporium. Thencat.org can provide
information and guidance to other disciplines on emporium
model.
Mentoring: State that it will be done, not explored; faculty
including pre and post tenured and adjunct. Could become
part of the Warehouse electronic accessible. Add IT to the
Meeting adjured at 5:05
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
22
INSTRUCTIONAL STRATEGIES COMMITTEE
2009-2010 MINUTES
February 3, 2010
Little Temple, RG
Members Present: Blanca Campa, Yvette Chuca, Michael
Coulehan, Gloria Estrada, Angela Fortaleza, Roselia Galindo,
Eugenio Galindro, Enayat Kalantarian, Jan Lockhart, Alexis
Medina, Myshie Pagel, Blayne Primozich, Lucia Rodriguez,
Martha Sanchez, Sue Selk, Susan Silva, Steve Smith, Oscar
Velasquez, Joel Villademoros, and Alberto Villegas
Meeting called to order at 3:30
Welcome: Susan Silva secretary
November Minutes were approved with correction to
Eugenio’s first name, and with spelling correction of the
word ACCUPLACER
Steering Committee Report from Sue Selk: Steering
Committee is to meet after this committee. Recommendation
was sent to have Universal Design person brought in from
Boston and present a workshop and at Teachership Academy.
Key note speaker from the General Session will be meeting
with Shirley Gilbert to help with an EPCC survey.
Clarification of Alignment as a priority for the Strategies
Committee.
Team Reports:
Universal Design: Jan Lockhart reported that Project Shift is
a project this summer where Jan and a faculty member would
be trained in Denver and then implement UD in classes as
part of a 2 year program. Jan is looking for a faculty member
volunteer.
Faculty-Staff Administration Mentoring Program:
Committee met via email. There is a program at Valle Verde
that was developed and implemented by Sandra LujanGutierrez of Early Alert. Clarification of the charge for this
subcommittee is needed.
Learning Communities: There was a workshop hosted by
Myshie Pagel, Rose Galindo, Blanca Campa and Susan Silva
during January 2010 Faculty Development week in which
Learning Communities were defined and discussed. The
workshop had very limited attendances. Several faculty
members of current LC attend the workshop and a few new to
LCs. A discussion of promotion and problems for LC
followed where several suggestions were made regarding the
registration using one CRN, advertising and advising students
using a web page, workshops, kiosks advertisements, posters,
and New Student Orientation. Instructors are paid a stipend
for developing, delivering and assessing a Learning
Communities for only 2 semesters, even though the work for
LCs is on going very semester they are offered. Some deans
have not been wholly supportive of LCs. Counselors are
helping quite a bit at the Valle Verde to boost enrollment.
Learning Emporiums: Information was passed around
about how the Math Discipline researched and implemented
Math Emporiums with the help of through the Nation Center
for Academic Transformation. Emporiums exist on all
campuses. The challenges continue to be space. TM is using
the cafeteria until space is available (projected by Fall 2010).
Funded by Gate Foundation grant. Other disciplines can
contact NCAT for help and information.
Meeting adjourned 5:03
Continuing Education and Graduate Course: Did not
meet.
Alignment: Agreed to meet Feb 16th to begin a design
(preparation and plan for a model between Government and
Reading) Committee will be requesting data of 10 courses
with the lowest passing rate and highest enrollment. Steve
Smith suggested calling Dr. Kay to request data that was
presented at a discussion about the 3Peat rule. Sue Selk will
call Lucy for advice on what the larger Alignment Committee
will expect.
Next Meeting March 3, 2010 at Northwest Campus
Respectfully submitted by S. Silva
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
23
March 3, 2010
NW, M48
Members Present: Blanca Campa, , Michael Coulehan,
Roselia Galindo, Enayat Kalantarian, Jan Lockhart, Myshie
Pagel, Blayne Primozich, Sue Selk, Susan Silva, Steve Smith,
Joel Villademoros, and Tracy Von Maluski
Members absent: Yvette Chuca, Gloria Estrada, Angela
Fortaleza, Alexis Medina, Eugenio Galindro, Lucia
Rodriguez, Martha Sanchez, Oscar Velasquez, Alberto
Villegas, Barbara Yancy-Tooks
considered an additional prep. Develop a focus group,
develop a survey, recommend training, marketing, budget
needs to be expanded. AtD has several Community Colleges
that have made it mandatory for all freshmen take a LC they
would have data. Release day to collaborate. MRDC
Research – Kingston. Compensation is only one aspect to be
considered. Support District-wide – Consistent Institutional
Support. Another consideration - Baltimore has a cap of 20
students– those students are more likely to stay and complete
their degrees or field of study and therefore, the college
makes more money from those students.
Meeting called to order at 3:30
Faculty Staff Admin Mentoring Program
Welcome: Sue Selk
February minutes were approved with correction to National
Steering Committee report: Clarification was made at the
steering committee meeting in February that
recommendations need to be brought forward. Alignment is
our * assignment.
Alignment: Rose will be going to the NADE Alignment
workshop and then will bring back that information to the
Alignment committee. No one outside of our team is looking
at the link between DE and Credit courses. Government and
Reading will develop 2 or 3 questions to be submitted to
Gov’t instructors about students' abilities. The Alignment
committee is instructed to start a process, report to Shirley,
and develop the model to align curricula between DE courses
and credit courses. Defining alignment is using data from the
Content courses back to the DE course to see what skills or
abilities students need in order be successful in the content
classes. (i.e. – how to read and evaluate a website)
Learning Emporium Models: Progress report – Space
continues to be an issue. Michael Coulehan is developing a
sped up READ 0109 class for student who place at the upper
end of the development Reading scale of the
ACCUPLACER. They will be assessed for weakness and put
on a computer program plan to remediate. Learning
Emporiums differ from hybrid course because the primary
instructor is the computer system. We are definitely
interested in pursuing LE. The diagnostic component is key.
First Year Experience in Canada where they discussed
Student Peer Mentoring - paid
Universal Course Design: project. There must be training to
be a mentor, so maybe it works better at a 4 year institution.
Universal Design – requested Kirsten Behling will be
coming to EPCC. She has data, but is just finishing their 1st
year. April 22nd in PM and 23rd in the AM - she’ll be here to
present a 3 hour workshops at the auditorium at ASC on
Universal Course Design. Keri Moe and Janine will work to
advertise. She will teach us how to develop teams so that
when we walk into room and see things that are not
compliant we can bring recommendation forward. Goal: To
make our institution a UCD institution. Chairs in our
classroom for heavier students is one example.
Continuing Education & Graduate Courses: Look at data
of instructors that have high retention and success. Look
what they are doing that is right. Common Elements?
Faculty may be approached and asked why they are so
successful or why students are successful in their classes
Faculty Development has a short and long term leave. Short
term: not for a few weeks, it should be one course or two;
release to take a graduate course or semester long training.
The PD budget reimbursement is perhaps misunderstood by
faculty. Recommend the definition of short term leave be
disseminated. Could this account for a Learning Community
leave; Mini Grant are also available.
Meeting adjourn 5:00 p.m.
Learning Communities: On-line concerns. Alternative
Learning Communities as Joel suggested in February. UTEP
pays every time $500, 4 course preparations –LC should be
Next meeting April 7, 2010. Place to be announced.
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
24
April 7, 2010
Valle Verde B170
Members Present: Blanca Campa, Michael Coulehan,
Roselia Galindo, Enayat Kalantarian, Jan Lockhart, Myshie
Pagel, Blayne Primozich, Sue Selk, Susan Silva, Barbara
Yancy-Tooks Joel Villademoros, and Tracy Von Maluski
Members absent: Yvette Chuca, Gloria Estrada, Angela
Fortaleza, Alexis Medina, Eugenio Galindro, Lucia
Rodriguez, Martha Sanchez, Oscar Velasquez, Alberto
Villegas, Steve Smith
that the full-time Govt instructors provide. This
questionnaire will be sent to the adjunct instructors also.
Focus is on the model with common themes for content
courses. Still need data of the highest failure rate credit
courses.
Learning Community: How can we evaluate? Tracy's
suggestion is to measure only semester to semester. Myshie
suggestion is that we grow the program, measure that and
track students to 30 hours.
Universal Course Design: Need attendance at the Kirsten
Behling workshop on April 22, 2010 and April 23, 2010.
Need to modify the evaluation to be more comprehensive for
that particular workshop.
Meeting called to order: 3:30 p.m.
Approval of March minutes
Last Official meeting of the semester
Steering Committee Report: Sue Selk reported that the
Steer Committee met. Cynthia Ferrell was here this week
from - Texas Association of Community Colleges.
Contextualization – integrating content courses – Instructors
are given lesson plans that help. UTEP has contextualization
lessons. Anything with developmental intentions should be
sent to Shirley Gilbert. Houston CC is the only other college
that has an Alignment. Having conversation with other
college that are doing the same things. There have actually
been two Steering Committee meetings NSO. We sent in our
LC NSO recommendation to Arvis
Timetable: Fall 2011
Resources Required: adequate advertisement and marketing
budget for LC with
New First Year Students, LC Program, Academic Advisors,
Tracy has been contacted.
The changes will be made and the form will be sent to all
committee member for approval.
Dissemination of information within the 3 Start Right
committees to share information and not overlap work. Tracy
asked who would be interested in attending an information
meeting. Myshie suggested a fall 2010 meeting as an annual
update during Faculty Development week. Blayne reminded
us that we might want to have liaisons between committees.
Tracy volunteered to be that liaison since he is going to all
the committee meetings.
Alignment: Blayne Primovich reported that the committee
met and will develop a model for all other developmental
disciplines to use for alignment to credit course disciplines.
Government to Reading and English is what the subcommittee is working on now. They have developed
questions for the Government instructors to answer and then
the DE disciplines involved will work with the information
Professional Development Committee: The way the short
term leave policy was misinterpreted, the faculty is not
utilizing it fully now. Perhaps re-interpret the "short-term"
leave. So then taking a graduate course or attending a two
week seminar could be interpreted as short-term leave.
Perhaps there is a topic or course available at NMSU and
UTEP that staff development could facilitate offering for
Staff Development week by offering it to EPCC professors.
Faculty Staff Administration Mentoring Program: Who
is the chair – Oscar researched the student mentoring
program. Have student government participant and conduct
NSOs. This ties into students Ambassador program. It is a
concern of some programs that they are so small that they
couldn't possibly be mentors to all the students in their
program. In those programs, they could use peer mentors
instead of Ambassadors. They must be paid or compensated
somehow. Most of the universities have a paid program and
have a separate department. We need that to be our
recommendations. Lucia, Martha, Yvette and Oscar. Maybe
the committee can meet in the summer and make
recommendations.
Leadership for next year: Chair and chair-elect structure
for next year was suggested. Sue would be willing to stay
chair next year, but feels we should have a chair-elect to take
over in 2011.
Tracy reminded people they are serving 1, 2, and 3 years.
The leadership has stated that the Start Right committees are
too big and we need to decide who's on and off. Should the 1
year members simply rotate off? We need representatives
from certain areas.
Jan CERP is approved as a standing committee. These are
the people who will come into your classroom for counseling
after a crisis.
Meeting adjourned at 5:05 p.m.
Z:/INSTRUCTIONALSTRATEGIESCOMMITTEE MINUTES(COMBINED)
10/8/15
EPCC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
25
Download
Related flashcards

Management

42 cards

System administration

65 cards

Management

61 cards

Civil defense

33 cards

Create Flashcards