Pacific Northwest Coordination Group Steering Committee (PNWCG SC)

advertisement
Pacific Northwest Coordination Group Steering Committee (PNWCG SC)
19 May 2010 @ Northwest Coordination Center (NWCC)
Final meeting notes
Attendees: Ken Snell, R6 USFS; Paul Bell, ODF; Pam Ensley, USFWS; Joe Shramek, WA DNR; Tod Johnson,
NPS; Bob Anderson, WA Fire Chiefs; Cory Winnie, BIA; Chuck Duffy, WA State Fire Marshal; Pat KellyExecutive Director/Facilitator; Jan Mathis, BLM-SORO, notetaker. Guests: Jim Furlong, BLM-SORO; Dan
O’Brien, Acting NWCC Center Manager; Presenters: Jeff Pendleton, Mike Spencer.
Summary of decisions and taskings
2009 IC AAR, pg 3
 Risk Management powerpoint presentation. Jeff Pendleton will forward to Pat and he’ll send out to all.
PCIWT, pg 4
 Placeholder for two future agenda items:
1. Discuss proposed tasks for the PCIWT as appropriate.
2. Discuss tasks for Safety and Health Working Team.
 Decision: SC agrees to adopt the PCIWT charter.
Plan for June Meeting – NWMAC, pg 4
Decision on Agenda Items for June SC Preparedness Meeting:
o Prioritization Exercise
o MAC briefing
o Go over the Resource Allocation Strategy
o Share an example of what a briefing would look like when there are 10 to 20 fires on the board.
AAR – develop a plan of action
o Take a look at the 209 and how to track them
o What if scenario
o Dan to work with MAC support, Pat & Ken to develop the agenda.
Program of Work, pg 5
 Concurrence with document with edits. Jan took notes of edits.
We’ll spend time at the July meeting to further discuss task assignments.
TWT MOU Task Order 907-04, item 4, pg 5
 The SC is in support to transfer MOU responsibility to the US Forest Service, however would like to
see a transition and implementation plan. Mike & Carl to work with Paul, ODF & TWT on a transition
and implementation plan. Deadline by July 2010.
Resource Allocation Cost Sharing, pg 5

SC agrees to the briefing paper by Kathy Shelton of March 29, 2010. Cory to work on an
implementation plan with Dan O’Brien.
PNWCG SC Meeting May 19, 2010 pg 1
IBP, pg 5
 IBP - The SC is in agreement that the update for the Incident Business Plan is valid for 2010.
NWS, pg 5
 NWS - SC in agreement with the NW Area Fire Weather AOP
Letter from FS to the acting director of GSA to expedite the process, pg 6
 Dan will craft a letter for the chair to sign in response to the letter from Mike Edrington.
Meeting called to order at 0915 hrs.
Leader’s Intent
Ken
We have a very full agenda today due to our meeting being canceled in April. Region 6 has put together an
Incident Command System (ICS) pocket guide. Ken passed out packets of the guides to the SC for their fire
staff. If you would like more, please contact Jim Furlong.
Pat Kelly – Ken, Jan & I held a meeting in lieu of April’s meeting to discuss priority items for our May and June
meetings.
We have four documents for signatures & approvals:
1. AOP – Brenda Johnson is the POC
2. NW MAC Handbook - Dan O’Brien is the POC
3. IBP (federal)
4. NWS AOP (chair signature)
We have a new member: Chuck Duffy, Washington State Fire Marshal. Welcome Chuck!
Finalize Agenda
Pat
(Handout #1 – PNWCG SC Meeting Agenda, March 17, 2010 agenda, v.2, 1 p)
Roster of PNWCG
(Handout #2 – PNWCG SC May 2010, 1 p)
Pat
Corrections were received and will be incorporated into the version that is posted to the web site.
From 2009 IC AAR
Issue one: Risk Management Process
Jeff Pendleton
This presentation was made to address Issue 1 from the 2009 IC Advisory Council’s AAR. This issue is now
considered closed.
Risk Management is a component of Continuous Improvement.
(powerpoint presentation) (Jeff to forward to Pat and he’ll send out to everyone)
(Handout #3 - Risk Assessment Level with in flow of incident planning cycle, 1p)
This is a risk based decision approach. The process enhances and formalizes what we’ve done in the past.
It strengthens the feedback loop from the firefighters to the agency administrators.
PNWCG SC Meeting May 19, 2010 pg 2
3 levels:
1. Strategic level – looking at things from the 30, 000 ft level
2. Deliberate – mission level
3. Time Critical – firefighters do this on the ground
The T2 & T2 teams in the region will have an opportunity to take this process, develop the tools so that they can
provide good feedback to make to process work better.
How are others being brought up to speed on this process? Local and state agencies may have challenges
accepting the process initially until they see the benefits first-hand.






At the IMT level, state folks were present.
The staff rides and preparedness meeting for AA , state partners were involved.
Being carried through CI presentations this spring and to involve all partners.
Powerpoint – an orientation to the agencies in the Unified Command. All the ICs have a more in-depth
version of the powerpoint that Jeff presented today.
This information has been presented at the NW T2 meetings for OR & WA and in-depth at the T1
meeting.
In Washington, the Okanogan-Wenatchee as well as community leaders, are going to go through some
simulations in addition to Continuous Improvement sessions. This is being mirrored in Oregon.
DNR – really need to focus on this early on with the agency administrators.
IMT perspective – this presentation was in response from the ICs AAR last fall. This is an excellent first step.
The issues are going to be conflicting objectives between the state and federal. For the teams, however, this is a
good process. This process creates a dialog with the AA and the IC.
We have a season to work with this, find out what works and doesn’t work to gain value-added feedback for the
NIMO X-team from the Forest Service who is developing this process.
Issue 2 – Role of NIMO
(Handout #4 – Draft – PDX NIMO by C. Hoff, J. Pendleton & T. Cable, 2 pp)
This presentation was made to address issue 2 from the IC Advisory Councils 2009 AAR. This issue is
considered closed.
Summary of the role of and how to best utilize NIMO?
Please see handout #4 for the details of how NIMO teams may be utilized in the Pacific Northwest in 2010.
PCIWT
Paul
(Handout #5 – PNWCG Communication, Prevention & Investigation Working Team, 2 pp)
(Handout #6 – Current & Expected Tasks for the CPI Working Team, 1 p)
Objective today is to have the SC adopt the charter so it can be signed.
List of current tasks, little “t” - would like feedback and see if this is a good place to start.
Item 3 of the tasks needs to be discussed. Evaluate the utility of that conference and PNWCG’s affiliation.
PNWCG SC Meeting May 19, 2010 pg 3
 Placeholder for two future agenda items:
1. Discuss proposed tasks for the PCIWT.
2. Discuss tasks for Safety and Health Working Team.
 Decision: SC agrees to adopt the PCIWT charter.
Plan for June Meeting – PNWMAC
Ken / Dan
(Handout #7 – Preparing NW MAC for the 2010 Fire Season, May 19, 2010, 7 pp)
Develop expectations:
NW MAC Operating Handbook has been sent out for review & approval. NW MAC Daily Schedule:
no changes from 2009. Not much to review.
Incident Prioritization Worksheet. Facsimile of the prioritization process.
IPW – this is the ICs perspective of that individual fire based on the criteria on the worksheet.
MAC then rates the fires based on that criteria.
NEW- Surge Task Force Request: there’s a new form that goes along with this, it’s currently posted
on the webpage. Working to get a completed page as a sample posted on the page also.
This stands separate from the prioritization scheme. This is to inject resources into an incident to
complete specific tasks. The resources are processed under a single resource order, all the paperwork
will be at the NWCC. There will be a need to have personnel that has ISuite capability to assist with that
part of the process.
A simple executive summary would be helpful with the rational.
Dan says this is something that they will be implementing this season.
Formally implemented a fire behavior services center last year. This will be re-implemented this season.
MAC Support Group reviewed/updated MAC processes and files.
Decision on Agenda Items for June SC Preparedness Meeting:
o Prioritization Exercise
o MAC briefing
o Go over the Resource Allocation Strategy
o Share an example of what a briefing would look like when there are 10 to 20 fires on the
board. AAR – develop a plan of action
o Take a look at the 209 and how to track them
o What if scenario
o Dan to work with MAC support, Pat & Ken to develop the agenda.
Finalize March notes / April notes
Jan
(Handout #8 – PNWCG SC Meeting March 17, 2010 Draft Notes v.2, 8 pp)
(Handout #9 – PNWCG SC Meeting April 16, 2010 final notes, 2 pp)
Jan will make corrections, finalize, post to library / website and email the WT/SC notes to the meeting attendees
as requested.
 Pat passed out the signature pages for the MAC Operating Handbook & AOP.
PNWCG SC Meeting May 19, 2010 pg 4
Program of Work
(Handout #10 – Program of Work – March 2010, PNWCG, 7pp)
Ken
Review. Jan took notes of edits. Concurrence with document with edits.
Will spend time at July meeting to further discuss task assignments.
TWT MOU Task Order 907-04, item 4
Mike
From our review, the TWT recommends transferring MOU responsibility to the US Forest Service.
 The SC is in support to transfer MOU responsibility to the US Forest Service, however would like
to see a transition and implementation plan.
 Mike & Carl to work with Paul, ODF and TWT on a transition and implementation plan.
Deadline by July 2010.
What’s this going to cost? Based on ODFs budget and funding people in the field to monitor classes, around
$85,000 to $87,000. Where we got this number: calculated a full-time FTE which is a coordination job, then
there’s a hot season when all the training notifications come in with some help in the middle with the monitoring.
Part of the job also includes having to field complaints and field issues. This would all come out of allocated
funding.
The prize isn’t 20% of the courses, it’s 20% of the instructors.
Resource Allocation Cost Sharing
Cory
(Handout #11 – Recommendation for Methods of Cost Sharing Reallocation Resources Task Order 1003-02, 2
pp)
 SC agrees to the briefing paper by Kathy Shelton of March 29, 2010. Cory to work on an
implementation plan with Dan O’Brien.
Hot Topics
IBP
(Handout #12 –Business Management Guidelines, 2 pp)
Pat
 The SC is in agreement that the update for the Incident Business Plan is valid for 2010.
NWS
Ken
(Handout #13 – Northwest Area Fire Weather Annual Operating Plan, 100 pp)
 Ken signed the NW Area Weather AOP for the Steering Committee
Rappel Program
Ken
Hoping to have a package to chief by May 1 to the chief. Waiting for the chief on how to stand the program
back up by June 15. Hopeful that the chief will make the flexible starting point for the Rappel Training
academy. The deadline is July 10. If don’t hear anything from the chief by July 10, then we won’t have the
program up and running this year.
PNWCG SC Meeting May 19, 2010 pg 5
Letter regarding local government trainees on NW MAC support team
Dan
Come out here during the summer and work as a trainee with our MAC support staff.
 Dan will craft a letter for the chair to sign in response to the letter from Mike Edrington.
Letter from FS to the acting director of GSA to expedite the process of procuring a new facility for
NWCC.
Expect a market survey by end of June, should have building to look at by end of July.
Met last Friday with FS IT folks, coordinate IT needs, met with the union and developed a timeline for the move.
In discussions with the Port of Portland for a possible extension of the current lease.
Memo of agreement for agencies to commit to for cost sharing to plug into Annual Operating Plan.
Who has the authority to make the decision when we do the actual move?
Sharing Support Organization Costs
(Handout #14 – Sharing Support Organization Costs, 1 p)
Ken
Background info and quick review. Went over briefing paper put together by Kathy Shelton. Want to have a
meeting to discuss and come to a conclusion. Dan to arrange the meeting.
Accomplishment Report
Rod Nichols
(Handout #15 – PNWCG 2009 Accomplishments, 2 pp)
Next step will give us an example format with a photo on it. Please take home and review, something to discuss
later.
 Pat will send out the document for 72-hour comment
AD’s on the 4 Oregon Fed Interagency Teams
Ken
Pulled C&G data on the 4 Oregon Fed Interagency Teams. There are a lot of folks from FS, BLM & there is a
large percentage of ADs (administratively determined) in the C& G.
Carl and Ken to meet with DMs and forest supervisors to come to an agreement, build one geo-board for the
teams for successional planning.
We’ll do the homework and bring it back to the SC, within the next year.
Orientation / Buddy
Ken
When Mike Burnett was new to PNWCG SC, Ken met with him, gave him a history and answered questions.
Joe will spend time with Chuck, our newest SC member, to do the same. Perhaps we should make it standard
protocol to assign a “buddy” for newer members of the SC to give them an orientation and answer questions to
make their transition smoother.
FPA
Continue to work with the FPA model, but will not use for any budgeting for 2011 & 2012.
AAR
+ Good job of managing agenda
+ Get through the POW by July
PNWCG SC Meeting May 19, 2010 pg 6
Meeting adjourned at 1500 hrs.
Handouts
Handout #1 – PNWCG SC Meeting Agenda, March 17, 2010 agenda, v.2, 1 p
Handout #2 – PNWCG SC May 2010, 1 p
Handout #3 - Risk Assessment Level with in flow of incident planning cycle, 1p
Handout #4 – Draft – PDX NIMO by C. Hoff, J. Pendleton & T. Cable, 2 pp
Handout #5 – PNWCG Communication, Prevention & Investigation Working Team, 2 pp
Handout #6 – Current & Expected Tasks for the CPI Working Team, 1 p
Handout #7 – Preparing NW MAC for the 2010 Fire Season, May 19, 2010, 7 pp
Handout #8 – PNWCG SC Meeting March 17, 2010 Draft Notes v.2, 8 pp
Handout #9 – PNWCG SC Meeting April 16, 2010 final notes, 2 pp
Handout #10 – Program of Work – March 2010, PNWCG, 7pp
Handout #11 – Recommendation for Methods of Cost Sharing Reallocation Resources Task Order 1003-02, 2 pp
Handout #12 – Business Management Guidelines, 2 pp
Handout #13 – Northwest Area Fire Weather Annual Operating Plan, 100 pp
Handout #14 – Sharing Support Organization Costs PNW Geo Area, 1 p
Handout #15 – PNWCG 2009 Accomplishments, 2 pp
Risk Assessment powerpoint presentation by Jeff Pendleton
PNWCG SC Meeting May 19, 2010 pg 7
Download
Related flashcards

System administration

65 cards

Canadian Hockey League

15 cards

Civil defense

33 cards

Create Flashcards