Pacific Northwest Coordination Group Steering Committee (PNWCG SC)

advertisement
Pacific Northwest Coordination Group Steering Committee (PNWCG SC)
18 November 2010 @ Northwest Coordination Center
Final meeting notes
Attendees: Ken Snell, USFS-SORO; Carl Gossard, BLM-SORO; Pam Ensley, USFWS; Sue Husari, NPS;
Joe Shramek, WA DNR; Paul Bell, ODF; Cory Winnie, BIA; Pat Kelly-Executive Director/Facilitator;
Jan Mathis, BLM-SORO; presenter: Dan O’Brien, NWCC.
Summary of decisions and taskings
 Pat to edit the current signed version of the charter to add the Center Managers advisory council. (pg 2)
 Item to put in our tracking column: Linkage between the master cooperative agreement and local operating
plans that we put together. (Joe Shramek) (pg 4)
 Carl Gossard was selected to be the 2011 Chair (pg 4)
 Joe Shramek was selected to be the 2011 Vice Chair (pg 4)
 Pat will revise the meeting dates, send out and post to website. (pg 4)
 Cancel SC meeting for December 2010 & move December’s agenda topics to January 2011. (pg 4)
 Pat to work with Toni & CiCi on the Feb 15-16 SC/WT meeting logistics, and compose a letter for Ken’s
signature. SC to work on the program content in January. (pg 4)
 January 2011 meeting will be held at the Gifford Pinchot office. Jan to arrange for space. (pg 4)
 March 2011 meeting to be held at the NWCC location beginning in March 2011. (pg 4)
 Jan will research options for future meeting space at the Port of Portland Conference Center for April &
May, costs, etc. (pg 4)
 Prevention WT items – find out from Lauren Maloney and Jeree Mills about items that they wanted to post
to the website. Paul Bell and Jan to follow-up. (pg 4)
 Pat to draft up a letter of thanks to Todd Johnson and Ken will sign. Pam has a parting gift for his good
work with the SC. (pg 5)
 SC has asked Dan O’Brien, chair of the Fire Environment Advisory Group to look into two items: (pg 5)


Validate with Terry Marsha the PSA stations that are adequate to our need. SW Oregon?
Find out by agency, how many they have, where they are, do we want to keep the same number of
reduce the number?
 Pat will add the following to the running topic list: (pg 5)




Cohesive strategy
Dutch Creek Protocols
Successional Planning
Policy level discussions – what would that messaging be?
 A meeting for the OR Geoboards to be held on Jan. 27-28, at the Smokejumper Base in Redmond. (pg 5)
PNWCG SC Meeting Nov 18, 2010 pg 1
 Jan / Pat to get the Geoboard meeting notes from the Feb 2009 meeting to Carl (pg 6)
 Pat to put Dutch Creek Protocols to AAs as a placeholder for January 2011 meeting. (pg 6)
 Agenda item for March: IFPLs (pg 6)
 January Agenda item: Camp cost issue. (pg 6)
Meeting called to order 0900 hrs
Finalize Agenda
Pat Kelly
(Handout #1 – PNWCG SC Nov 18, 2010 Meeting Agenda v1, 1 p)
Leader’s Intent / Task Order Tracking
Ken Snell
(Handout #2 – PNWCG Task Order Tracking, Oct 2010, v15, 1p)
 Decision made to have Pat edit the current signed version of the charter to add the Center Managers
advisory council.
Review of the FALT & IC meetings. Brian Watts to be the new chair of the IC Advisory Committee.
Finalize September meeting notes
Jan Mathis
(Handout #3 – PNWCG SC October meeting draft notes, v.1, 5 pp)
Cohesive Strategy
Ken Snell / all
What did Fed agencies hear at the national meetings?
(Pam) Felt that there’s inertia for the feds losing control of fire mgmt decisions and shifting to the states.
(Carl) A few of the comments we sent back to WO:
1) Too much emphasis on FPA. 2) Both FS & DOI using EMDS (each is a little different).
3) Phase 2, the geographic areas are too big. 4) Weak on factoring in climate change.
5) Forest-centric, didn’t take about rangelands, desert, tundra.
Comments are still being reviewed by the OMB. At the national meeting, not much to talk about.
We’ll have to see how much our comments were incorporated in the Phase 1 document.
(Sue) Heard that there’s definitely a change to the FPA section, but the general comment is basically
everything is the same.
(Ken / Pat) At the recent FS meeting, most directors pushed back and asked what exactly is the concern?
Are our partners going to stand behind us or are we going to have a federal fire service? It’s really about
our working relationships, more than the data collection. What issues cause conflict (fire-centric)? Ken and
PNWCG SC could put together a list of the concerns and address these concerns to improve relationships.
Pat’s input
1) Those at the top level seem to be tremendously committed to finding a wildfire mega solution on a
national scale.
2) There’s a split on whether to take the science-based global view; or the policy road to look at the
barriers and broken links.
3) Continue working on building relationships.
4) How to proceed with governance. How to form up the sub-national structure.
PNWCG SC Meeting Nov 18, 2010 pg 2
(Ken) Prefer to concentrate on the relationship side & policy side, rather than the scientific side. Some ideas:
1) What are the relationship issues? (ie. for the feds, what could we do with the 310-1 & the 5109-17 (?)
Just use 310-1? )
2) Why don’t we suspend the true concept of managing fire for resource benefits in the PNW until the law
changes?
3) Put clarity in policy to recognize benefits for our partners.
Do we want to grab our future and design our part of the country?
If we stand ready with a design, maybe we can influence what will happen.
Should this GAC be one of the sub-regions?
(Ken) Concept of relationships, policies and laws. Broader audience and unravel ways to work together. Build and
improve on our current foundation.
(Carl) As soon as the cohesive strategy rolls out, we can begin the process.
Cohesive Strategy topic - Ken to take info from the notes & create a strong statement for the group as a starting
point.
(Sue summarizes) Supportive of the Cohesive Strategy. We could pilot it & improve on it by working on our
interagency relationships.
Cohesive Strategy “Pilot Project” (“my addition”) Agenda Item– Keep this as a continuing topic (30 min)
In summary:
1) There’s conceptual agreement to examine the issues that are in the way of having the quality of
relationships that we want to have. Triage them inside and outside the fire circle.
2) Do that within our GAC and look at expanding it to the Great Basin and Northern Rockies.
Implementation of MOU oversight
Carl
(Handout #4 – PNWCG Cover Letter to FCAs on revised MOUs, 1p)
Edits to be made to letter:
(1st para, 2nd line) Effective November 1, 2010, the responsibility for administrating the PNWCG Training MOU
program has transferred from the Oregon Department of Forestry to the U.S. Forest Service.
Add the following:
(2nd para) Please sign the enclosed revised MOU and return it to LuAnn Grover by January 1, 2011.
(3rd para) If we don’t receive your revised MOU by 60 days of the deadline of January 1, 2011, your current MOU
will be retracted.
Review of Sub Geographic groups
Carl
(Handout #5 – Sub geographic Fire Management entities, 2 pp)
It would help to have a snapshot of where we’re at right now. What’s out there and how they’re organized.
We need to understand the issues better. The issues with the T2 teams is that there’s a disconnect.
Need to link this up somehow with the master agreement, at the state and local levels.
PNWCG SC Meeting Nov 18, 2010 pg 3
Dispatch coordination: these areas are broken, what can we do to offer support:



Eastern Washington (Okanogan /Wenatchee)
Western Washington (Puget Sound, WA)
Klamath Falls / Lakeview area.
No action will be taken on the briefing paper as written. It will be set aside for now.
 To put in our tracking column: Linkage between the master cooperative agreement and local
operating plans that we put together. (Joe Shramek)
Break for Lunch at 1200 hrs, reconvened at 1245 hrs.
2011 Chair / Vice Chair
Ken
(Handout #6 – PNWCG SC Chair, Vice Chair, 1999-2010, v4, 1p)
 Carl Gossard was selected to be the 2011 Chair
 Joe Shramek was selected to be the 2011 Vice Chair
2011 Meeting Dates
Pat
(Handout #7 – PNWCG 2011 Meeting Dates, 1 p)
 Pat will revise the meeting dates, send out and post to website.
 Decided to cancel meeting for December 2010.
 To move December’s agenda topics to January 2011.
 Pat to work with Toni & CiCi on the Feb 15-16 SC/WT meeting logistics, and compose a letter for
Ken’s signature. SC to work on the program content in January.
 January 2011 meeting will be held at the Gifford Pinchot office. Jan to arrange for space.
 March 2011 meeting to be held at the NWCC location beginning in March 2011.
 Jan will research options for future meeting space at the Port of Portland Conference Center for
April & May, costs, etc.
Web Site Implementation
Ken
(Handout #8 – PNWCG Web Site content as of November 10, 2010, 3 pp)
Working Team liaisons to review the PNWCG website contents and work with the Working Team chairs to get the
information that’s currently missing.
Basic information for Working Teams to post to the PNWCG website:
 Charter
 POW (this could be a list of their little t’s & big T’s)
 Calendar
 Notes
 Prevention WT items – find out from Lauren Maloney and Jeree Mills about items that they wanted
to post to the website. Paul Bell and Jan to followup.
PNWCG SC Meeting Nov 18, 2010 pg 4
Sue Husari announced that she will represent NPS on the PNWCG SC. Todd Johnson has moved on to other
challenges. She will act as the PNWCG liaison to the GIS Working Team. (Dale Guenther is the chair of the GIS
WT).
 Pat to draft up a letter of thanks to Todd Johnson and Ken will sign. Pam has a parting gift for his
good work with the SC.
HOT TOPICS
RAWS stations
Carl
How many RAWS stations do we need? We want to eliminate as many as we can to save costs on u
SC has asked Dan O’Brien, chair of the Fire Environment Advisory Group to look into two items:

Validate with Terry Marsha the PSA stations that are adequate to our need. SW Oregon?

Find out by agency, how many they have, where they are, do we want to keep the same number or reduce
the number?
Dutch Creek Protocols to AA’s
Ken / Pam
Is there a way that the federal agencies can enter into a cost share agreement with the fire marshal to prevent them
leaving in the middle of the shift? (Imminent Danger)
PNWCG SC needs to look into the idea of having a May meeting to talk about this topic with AAs.
 Pat to put Dutch Creek Protocols to AAs as a placeholder for January 2011 meeting.
 Pat will add the following to the running topic list:




Cohesive strategy
Dutch Creek Protocols
Successional Planning
Policy level discussions – what would that messaging be?
NW Participants in NWCG
Pat
(Handout #9 – NMAC-GMAC Meeting Agenda, Boise Idaho, Dec 1-2, 2010, 2 pp)
(Handout #10 – Preparing Uniformly: A Proposal to Re-Visit the National Preparedness Level Planning Model)
Dan O’Brien: Is there an interest in this proposal? If so, what will the product look like?
Oregon Geoboard
 A meeting for the Oregon Geoboards will be held on January 27-28, 2011 at the Smokejumper Base
in Redmond, Oregon.
PNWCG SC Meeting Nov 18, 2010 pg 5
There are 3 objectives to the meeting:
1) Create a charter (using the Washington geoboard charter as a starting point/example)
2) Who should be the geoboard
3) Who should be the chair?
 Jan / Pat to get the Geoboard meeting notes from the Feb 2009 meeting to Carl.
Prevention Conference
Paul
(Handout #11 – Task Order #1009-11 Annual Fire Prevention Workshop, 1 p)
The Prevention WT is asking PNWCG SC for funding to hold a prevention conference in 2012.
PNWCG requests that the Prevention WT to create a proposal, to be reviewed by fall of 2011.
Would like to see a report on the upcoming prevention conference that will be held at Salishan on the number of
attendees, the materials from the conference. (ie. a snapshot of the conference)
FALT Meeting
Carl
Suggestion from FALT group to PNWCG: Recharge and revisit IFPL process.
We need to re-educate and update our AAs on the importance of IFPLs.
 Agenda item for March: IFPLs.
 January Agenda item: Camp cost issue
AAR
+Good hot topics
+Had the time for hot topics
+No Powerpoints
+Getting into issues
Handouts
Handout #1 – PNWCG SC Meeting Nov 18, 2010 Agenda, 1 p
Handout #2 – PNWCG Task Order Tracking, Oct 2010, v15, 1p
Handout #3 – PNWCG SC October meeting draft notes, v.1, 5 pp
Handout #4 – PNWCG Cover Letter to FCAs on revised MOUs, 1p
Handout #5 – Sub geographic Fire Management entities, 2 pp
Handout #6 – PNWCG SC Chair, Vice Chair, 1999-2010, v4, 1p
Handout #7 – PNWCG 2011 Meeting Dates, 1p
Handout #8 – PNWCG Web Site content as of November 10, 2010, 3 pp
Handout #9 – NMAC-GMAC Meeting Agenda, Boise Idaho, Dec 1-2, 2010, 2 pp
Handout #10 – Preparing Uniformly: A Proposal to Re-Visit the National Preparedness Level Planning Model, 3 pp
Handout #11 – Task Order #1009-11 Annual Fire Prevention Workshop, 1p
PNWCG SC Meeting Nov 18, 2010 pg 6
Download
Related flashcards

Corporate governance

23 cards

Create Flashcards