Final meeting notes PNWCG Steering Committee meeting @ NWCC

advertisement
PNWCG Steering Committee meeting @ NWCC
150 SW Harrison St, Portland, Oregon
March 9, 2011
Final meeting notes
Attendees: Acting Chair Joe Shramek, WA DNR; Ken Snell, R6 USFS; Dave Whitmer, BLMSORO (representing Leanne Mruzik); Sue Husari, NPS; Travis Medema, OR Department of
Forestry (representing Paul Bell); Bill Slosson, Washington Fire Marshal’s Office (representing
Paul Perz); Brian Gales, USFWS (representing Pam Ensley); Cory Winnie, BIA; Dan O’Brien,
NWCC; Pat Kelly, Executive Director/Facilitator; Jan Mathis, BLM-SORO; guests: Teresa
Vonn, ODF and Chair, Fire Environment Advisory Council; Julia Ruthford, John Saltenberger,
Jason Loomis, NWCC.
Summary of decisions & taskings
 Decision: Pat will send out previous month’s PNWCC SC meeting draft notes with next
month’s agenda. (pg 2)
 Decision: Letter from PNWCG Chair encouraging participation from the Working
Teams in the NWCG IMT Succession Project (add the website info:
www.nwcg.gov/imosp) Joe Shramek will craft a letter for distribution. (pg 3)
 Action: Pam Ensley, Dave Whitmer & Ken Snell to present on the issue of whether to
create a Task Order on Team Membership rotation to the IC council at their spring
meeting in Hood River on March 28 and bring back to PNWCG in April. (pg 3)
 Decision: PNWCG SC is in agreement that the minimum baseline is 72 Key RAWS
stations. A discussion by the PNWCG SC will need to be done first before moving or
deleting these stations. (pg 4)
 Decision: Get a briefing paper from Dale Guenther on what he does in his job for the
purpose of successional planning. What would happen with ICAP if he leaves the
agency? (pg 5)
 Action: PNWCG SC to review the briefing paper from Dale Guenther and look for
potential linkages with personnel at the other agencies. (pg 5)
 Carryover agenda item for April/May, Shelby Gales from the SHWT to make a
presentation on FLAs to PNWCG SC. (pg 5)
 Action: Joe Shramek will go back to the AWT to ask for clarification on the issue(s) from
AWT report. (pg 5)
 Action: Joe Shramek to set up an hour conference call with Kurt Kleiner to gather more
information on the issue of wire cutters for T3 helicopters. (pg 5)
 Action: Travis Medema will send Ken Snell a letter requesting a meeting to discuss the
crew contract issue. (pg 6)
PNWCG SC Meeting notes Mar 9, 2011 pg 1
 Action re: Cohesive Strategy: PNWCG SC - please provide the names of those who
should be cc’d, include email addresses also, to Pat Kelly. Sue Husari will draft the
letter, Pat will format and send out for 72-hour review. (pg 6)
________________________________________________________________________
Meeting called to order 0900 hrs.
Leader’s Intent
Joe Shramek
Welcome, glad we’re all here at the new location. We have a full agenda and a lot of good
discussion ahead of us.
Finalize Agenda
Pat Kelly
(Handout 1 – PNWCG SC Meeting Agenda March 9, 2011 v2)
Current Task Orders/tracking
Pat Kelly
(Handout 2 – Task Order Tracking and Tracking Tasks, 2 pp)
Another page has been added to the Current Task Orders handout for tracking tasks which are
not part of a Task Order.
Tour of Center
Dan O’Brien
Orientation and tour of NWCC’s new office.
Charter update
Pat Kelly
(Handout 3 – excerpt from Fuels Management WT Charter from Feb 16, 2011, 1p)
The committee has discussed changing the Charter to make the Chair selection from those who
have been with the committee for one year. To use the Charter from the Fuels Management
Working Team as a model. This information is for review. We’ll come back to this issue for
decision in April.
February meeting notes
Jan Mathis
(Handout 4 – PNWCG SC Meeting draft notes Feb 15-16, 2011, 8 pp)
(Handout 5 – PNWCG SC/WT Annual Workshop draft notes Feb 15-16, 2011, 12 pp)
 Decision: Pat will send out previous month’s PNWCG SC meeting draft notes with
next month’s agenda.
Salishan FP Conference
Travis Medema
Travis attended the Salishan Fire Prevention Conference this year. In addition to information
sharing, they added a P-101 class. About 39 attendees took the course and got their certification.
The class definitely met a need and was value added. The feedback from attendees was very
positive. They will continue to build a solid curriculum and add a P-301 class for next year. The
conference seems to be on the right track now.
PNWCG SC Meeting notes Mar 9, 2011 pg 2
DOI Billing Tasking to IBPWT
Cory Winnie
This tasking was to modify our AOP to reflect the national change to DOI billing, however, the
national effort has been put on hold. Everything will remain the same for 2011. There’s not
much we can do now, except be aware. Considered the issue closed for now.
NWCG IMT Succession Project
Sue Husari
(powerpoint presentation “Evolving Incident Management”)
Overall project goal: Facilitate the creation of a sustainable incident management organization
that will evolve and be implemented over the next decade.
More information is available at www.nwcg.gov/imosp
Current status:
 At the stakeholders engagement process stage.
 There’s a two-month window for comments.
 Encourage individuals to complete the questionnaire on their website.
 Groups, such as the PNWCG, encouraged to provide input, ie. build a proposal for a new
organizational model, a form is available on website.
An informal poll of agencies on who will be making a response: ODF, DNR, and BLM at the
national level.
The other agencies will encourage individual responses: FWS and NPS. BIA, not sure; FS, not
sure other than perhaps from the LOT (Line Officer Team).
Next steps:
 Results to be analyzed followed by a recommendation to NWCG.
 NWCG will be the decision-maker.
PNWCG will allow the process to unfold and take more shape. To revisit at a later date.
 Decision: Letter from PNWCG Chair encouraging participation from the Working
Team in the NWCG IMT Succession Project. (add the website info:
www.nwcg.gov/imosp) Joe Shramek will craft a letter for distribution.
Oregon Geo Board
Ken Snell
An update: The group has their list of names, next step will be Dave Whitmer and Carla
Schamber to set up another meeting, hopefully in the next month. At this meeting, they will
elect a Chair, work on their operating document, their letter to PNWCG and other overarching
issues. Whether to create a Task Order on Team Membership rotation?
 Action: Pam Ensley, Dave Whitmer & Ken Snell to present the issue of whether to
create a Task Order on Team Membership rotation to the IC council at their spring
meeting in Hood River on March 28 and bring back to PNWCG in April.
Intent of RAWS optimization
Dan O’Brien, Jason Loomis, Teresa Vonn,
(Handout 6 – RAWS Utilization in the PNW, 1 p) Julia Ruthford, John Saltenberger
PNWCG SC Meeting notes Mar 9, 2011 pg 3
This issue is understanding PNWCG SC’s intent when they ask that PNW FEN identify the
number of RAWS stations needed for the NW.
At a minimum, the 72 Predictive Services Key RAWS stations provide the necessary information
to adequately analyze NFDR indices around the PNW. These stations provide “unique”
observations; for Predictive Services purposes, no value is added by adding additional stations.
 Decision: PNWCG SC is in agreement that the minimum baseline is 72 Key RAWS
stations. A discussion by the PNWCG SC will need to be done first before moving
or deleting these stations.
Break at noon for lunch, reconvene at 1300 hrs.
Approval Process for Spring Annual Documents
Joe Shramek / Pat Kelly
(Handout 7 – PNWCG SC Bi annual, Annual and Monthly tasks, 1 p)
Item 10 – April
Cory to follow up with CiCi on item 12.
Item 14 – To be posted to the PNWCC website for review
Item 16 – April
Item 17 - May
Pat will get an updated list out to everyone.
Running Agenda / Carryover Items
Pat Kelly
(Handout 8 – Running agenda/carryover topics/future agenda items, Mar 4, 2011, 1 p)
March
IFPL – keep
Public Use Restrictions – morphed into a website, Dale Guenther is working on with PCIWT –
keep
Task order proposal – scratch out
April
UAO’s chartered – Joe to report feedback from AWT Chair Kurt Kleiner to PNWCG SC.
POW update – Pat to compile info from Joe & Pam and bring back at a future meeting.
May
Progress report on IC/AC issues in May or June – a reminder to put on agenda
Detailed procurement – Dale to bring back to PNWCG in May – keep
WA Geo Board – scratch out
Issues related to Fire Marshal IMT’s leaving in middle in shifts – keep for a later date
Knowledge Transfer Consortium – scratch out
Draw down processes for resources – keep
Aerial extraction capability – keep
HRO – keep (Risk Management, HRO card, start the discussion around the table)
EMAC – keep
Linkage between Master Operating Agreement & Local Operating Plans – keep
Cohesive Strategy, pilot project – discussion at Mar meeting
Risk Mgmt 101 – keep
PNWCG SC Meeting notes Mar 9, 2011 pg 4
Revise charter to require 1 year tenure prior to being an officer – done/scratch out
Budget brief/resource summary – keep
BLM/FS successful service first lessons learned – scratch out
Need for Fall AA meeting – keep
Sustainability and mtc of systems
Ken Snell
This is including oversight of ICAP program
 Decision: Get a briefing paper from Dale Guenther on what he does in his job for
the purpose of successional planning. What would happen with ICAP if he leaves
the agency?
 Action: PNWCG SC to review and look for potential linkages with personnel at the
other agencies.
FLAs on interagency incidents
Cory Winnie
How would federal agencies interact with the states if there is an accident?
Each agency has their own processes. All of the agencies should know about the various
incident analysis processes used by other agencies.
 Carryover agenda item for April/May, Shelby Gales from the SHWT to make a
presentation on FLAs to PNWCG SC.
AWT report of 1/13/2011
(Handout 9 – Recommendations AWT, 1 p)
Joe Shramek / Ken Snell
This is about additional standardized training and oversight for non-fire fixed wing flights.
Request NIAC through NWCG to re-evaluate the definitions of “point-to-point” and “special
use.”
Is this beyond the scope of PNWCG? (an aviation issue beyond fire?)
 Action: Joe Shramek will go back to the AWT to ask for clarification on the issue(s)
from AWT report.
Hot Topics
T3 Helos (ODF/FS/DNR)
Travis Medema
The new requirements for wire cutters kits for T3 helicopters will likely have impact especially
for the 2 states and the interagency fire business. What does that mean to us?
Is there some kind of exception process, this needs to be vetted. The T3 contracts are out.
More information would be helpful, will arrange a conference call. Inclusion of a federal
contracting officer is recommended.
 Action: Joe Shramek to set up an hour conference call with Kurt Kleiner to gather
more information on the issue of wire cutters for T3 helicopters.
PNWCG SC Meeting notes Mar 9, 2011 pg 5
Building Our Future
(Handout 10 – Presenter Biographies pamphlet, 15 pp)
Ken Snell
This event will be held in Sunriver, Oregon Tues, Mar 15 – 17, 2011.
Interpretation of Master Agreement for Fuels Work
Ken Snell
Due to ARRA workload, the USFS tried to put a lot of HR work through the Master Agreement
to the State of Oregon. This raised “red flags” with FS AQM, because it appeared we were bypassing competitive processes.
New information on Cohesive Strategy
Joe Shramek
The Washington State Forester, Aaron Everett, recommends sending the letter to Tom Harbour
and Kirk Rowdabaugh.
 Action: PNWCG SC - please provide the names of those who should be cc’d,
include email addresses also, to Pat Kelly.
o Action: Sue Husari will draft the letter, Pat will format and send out for
review.
Crew Contract
72-hour
Travis Medema
This is something we need to keep on the radar. There’s one more extension period and there’s
critical timing involved.
The next step will be a meeting with Paul Bell, Ken Snell, Deputy Regional Forester Cal Joyner
& the new Regional Forester, Kent Connaughton.
 Action: Travis Medema will send Ken Snell a letter requesting a meeting to discuss
the crew contract issue.
In R1, there’s a heavy equipment meeting going on. Big Iron Workshop – how technology has
changed, how to use.
They are looking for R6 representation on the cadre. Interest and experience in heavy equipment
use. Want to have reps from as many regions as possible. To add more value to the workshop.
If you have anyone interested in attending or need more info, please contact Dave Whitmer at
503-808-6518 or email [email protected]
There will be 2 sessions: April 18 & April 25
AAR
+Good meeting location.
-Traffic
Need parking lot map
PNWCG SC Meeting notes Mar 9, 2011 pg 6
Handout
Handout 1 – PNWCG SC Meeting Agenda March 9, 2011 v2
Handout 2 – Task Order Tracking and Tracking Tasks, 2 pp
Handout 3 – excerpt from Fuels Management WT Charter from Feb 16, 2011, 1p
Handout 4 – PNWCG SC Meeting draft notes Feb 15-16, 2011, 8 pp
Handout 5 – PNWCG SC/WT Annual Workshop draft notes Feb 15-16, 2011, 12 pp
Handout 6 – RAWS Utilization in the PNW, 1 p
Handout 7 – PNWCG SC Bi annual, Annual and Monthly tasks, 1 p
Handout 8 – Running agenda/carryover topics/future agenda items, Mar 4, 2011, 1 p
Handout 9 – Recommendations AWT, 1 p
Handout 10 – Presenter Biographies pamphlet, 15 pp
PNWCG SC Meeting notes Mar 9, 2011 pg 7
Download
Related flashcards

Management

42 cards

Management

61 cards

Canadian Hockey League

15 cards

Create Flashcards