Pacific Northwest Coordination Group Steering Committee (PNWCG) January 18, 2012

advertisement
Pacific Northwest Coordination Group Steering Committee (PNWCG)
January 18, 2012
NWCC @ 150 SW Harrison St, Portland, Oregon
Final notes
Attendees: Bobbie Scopa, BLM-SORO; David Summer, R6 USFS; Cory Winnie, BIA; Mark
Havener, OR Fire Chiefs; Sue Husari, NPS; Pat Kelly, Executive Director/Facilitator; Jan Mathis
BLM-SORO, recording secretary, Presenters: Dan O’Brien, NWCC; Shelby Gales, BLM-FS;
Nick Giannettino, Portland NIMO. (called in); Joe Shramek, WADNR; Doug Grafe (acting for
Nancy Hirsch, ODF); Bill Clausen (acting for Paul Perz); Pam Ensley, NPS; Jim Walker, OR Fire
Marshal; Dave LaFave, WA Fire Chiefs
______________________________________________________________________________
Summary of decisions and taskings
SC Safety Strategy (pg 2)
 Shelby & Nick Giannettino to explore alternatives for delivery on an interagency basis of
the Safety Ops Safety Training at local levels.
 Nick Giannettino would like to contact PNWCG Steering Committee members to find out
specific info for each agency regarding training approval: whether it’s dollars or numbers
that determines approval.
 Shelby to withdraw the proposal with the facility for the meeting in Sunriver, Oregon.
PNWCG SC/WT/AC Annual Workshop (pg 2)
 Pat Kelly to send out last year’s notes from the PNWCG SC/WT/AC Annual Meeting
beforehand to help frame up this year’s meeting.
Have the working teams-advisory councils include a copy of their latest meeting notes (Pam
Ensley)
 Admin staff at SORO can check on the availability for the 3rd floor meeting rooms for
Feb 14-15 and will let Jane Seymore know that we may have an option for meeting space.
 Pat to send out the invitations to the PNWCG SC/WT/AC Annual Workshop on Friday.
Contractor Approval Process (pg 3)
 Bobbie will send the proposal for the contractor approval process for R6 to Pat Kelly so he
can send out to the SC members.
L-581 (pg 4)
 Create a task order to the TWT to create a list of names for recommendation to attend the
L-581 training for next year. Assigned to Bobbie Scopa.
______________________________________________________________________________
1.18.12 PNWCG SC Meeting, pg 1
Meeting called to order at 0900 hrs.
Leader’s Intent
Joe Shramek
Today’s agenda
(Handout 1 – PNWCG SC Meeting Agenda, Friday, December 9, 2011, 1p)
SC Safety Strategy Update
David Summer /Shelby Gales / Nick Giannettino
David Summer provided an update on the status of the SC Safety Ops Conference / Training.
FMOs have indicated that the target audience (first line supervisors) would not be able to attend
in March. Due to limited budgets and travel caps, the focus is going to be spent on critical
training for fire personnel.
David recommends to re-evaluate the training and how it will be delivered. Suggest to conduct
local training in the sub-geo areas, tentatively around May. This would limit travel costs and
perhaps reach more participants. This model could be replicated in three or four other locations.
Challenge now becomes how to deliver the training.
The SC members are supportive of this proposal, but don’t want to lose the momentum. Have the
Planning Group look at alternatives to deliver the training, and if there are conflicts with the
holding the training in May, due to conflicts with other firefighter training, have the group find
out the best time.
Shelby Gales: This training has been held for 9 years. The delivery of the training won’t be the
same as in the past. This will be a pretty significant change, but doing something this year is the
best option to keep up the momentum. The goal is to develop something that lasts about 5 hours
and would make the time worthwhile for attendees.
 Shelby & Nick Giannettino to explore alternatives for delivery on an interagency
basis of the Safety Ops Safety Training at local levels.
 Nick Giannettino would like to contact PNWCG Steering Committee members to
find out specific info for each agency regarding training approval: whether it’s
dollars or numbers that determines approval.
 Shelby to withdraw the proposal with the facility for the meeting in Sunriver,
Oregon.
Annual Workshop
Joe Shramek / Pat Kelly
(Handout 2 – PNWCG SC/WT/AC Annual Workshop, Feb 14-15, 2012, v.1, 1 p)
Tues morning, Feb 14 – begin the day with the SC meeting, start at 0900 until 1130 hrs.
A meeting room nearby will also be open for chairs and vice-chairs to meet during the morning.
Encourage PNWCG SC/WT liaisons to let working teams know about that option.
Tues morning, Feb 14 – there will be a separate space reserved for the Advisory Council meeting.
1.18.12 PNWCG SC Meeting, pg 2
Tues afternoon, Feb 14 – beginning at 1300 hrs, the PNWCG SC/WT/AC Annual Workshop will
be held. It will run until Wed, Feb 15 noon. Pat went over the agenda.
Wed afternoon, Feb 15 – beginning at 1300 hrs, the SC will resume their normal monthly meeting
and discuss the issues that came up from the PNWCG SC/WT/AC Annual Workshop.
Content input:
Joe Shramek – there’s been a change, we’ve invited the Chairs of the T2 geoboards to come into
the SC meeting on Feb 14 and they have accepted. Dean Vendrasco in Oregon & Gerry Day in
Washington.
 Pat Kelly to send out last year’s notes from the PNWCG SC/WT/AC Annual Meeting
beforehand to help frame up this year’s meeting.
 Have the working teams-advisory councils include a copy of their latest meeting
notes (suggestion from Pam Ensley)
Logistics input:
Jane Seymour, the lead, from WADNR is working on the location, it will be firmed up in a day or
two. Looking in the Portland/Vancouver area. Sue Husari can check with Ft. Vancouver, WA.
Would have to pay for the rooms at Ft. Vancouver.
 Admin staff at SORO can check on the availability for the 3rd floor meeting rooms
for Feb 14-15 and will let Jane Seymour know that we may have an option for
meeting space.
 Pat to send out the invitations to the PNWCG SC/WT/AC Annual Workshop on
Friday.
Hot Topics
Contractor Approval Process
Bobbie Scopa
Luann Grover, in R6 is responsible for FS approvals for contractors. (ie. water tenders, etc.) The
process we are using involves all of the contractors sending in every personnel record to the
contracting office in Redmond. Contracting reviews them to make sure they meet the
requirements of the contract. A copy is then faxed to our shop (R6). We receive 100%, of the
records and we would approve 20% of them. The following proposal is being made to streamline
the process: a list could be sent to R6 and from that, we would review 20%. We would continue
the current process to review 100% of those employees that are being promoted and any new
employees. There would be a few other administrative changes. We won’t be changing the
standard.
Want to get input from the SC on whether we should make changes. Doug Grafe suggests that
Bobbie talk to Don Moritz at the ODF on how to manage contracts. Bob Young also works for
ODF and is also the chair of the Training Working Team.
1.18.12 PNWCG SC Meeting, pg 3
Bobbie would like feedback in the next week.
 Bobbie will send the proposal for the contractor approval process for R6 to Pat Kelly
so he can send out to the SC members.
L-581
Bobbie Scopa
This is an annual session that is held at Gettysburg. Names are to be submitted, usually a C&G
group attend this training. Dave LaFave said that there is benefit of sending folks to the training
along with a couple of additional staff. Suggest to send a standing C&G or members of one of
our region’s teams. Dave will send out the AAR from the last L-581 session.
 Create a task order to the TWT to create a list of names for recommendation to
attend the L-581 training for next year. Assigned to Bobbie Scopa.
Super Center Review, status update
Dan O’Brien
There are about 44 dispatch offices in the geographic area. Working to consolidate, build staff
and create staffing standards (to include successional planning). We’re being proactive with
consolidating. How can we be more efficient so we’re not duplicating efforts?
The members of the working group is Dan O, PNWCG liaison; Renee Crippen as Chair; and
Steve Arasim as vice-Chair.

We’re at the scoping process right now. Have solicited response/feedback from leadership
and center managers from the various offices.

Not necessarily going to have a one-size fits all organization.

The next step is to develop what the centers will look like. What’s the best way to
organize and how can it be implemented.
Background: At the Dec 9 PNWCG, Bobbie Scopa made a presentation about the centers
specifically in eastern Washington State. We haven’t started looking at western Washington yet.
The budget may drive some efficiencies here.
Dan has set up a meeting on January 24 in eastern Washington for Center Managers to begin
discussion. Hopefully they may be able to decide on where the boundaries are.
There are 2 main issues that are complimentary to each other:
1) Center Manager Advisory Council to develop a dispatch center vision (a strategic view).
They will report back at the March PNWCG SC meeting. (Dan O’Brien & working group
working on this issue)
2) Resolve issues with dispatch center boundaries in eastern Washington. (from a issue that
came into PNWCG) (Bobbie Scopa working on this issue)
1.18.12 PNWCG SC Meeting, pg 4
For more background info on both of these efforts:

The November notes will have more information on the direction and intent for the
Advisory Council that Dan O’Brien’s group is coordinating.

The December notes addresses the effort that Bobbie Scopa is coordinating.
The SC would like to see the work that was done previously by Gerry Day and Carl Gossard.
Year would be around 2003 – 2004. Dan O’Brien will ask Gerry Day if he has any
documentation from this effort.
There will be benefits to look more at what’s going on in the geographic area and follow up with
a more focused discussion with what’s going on in eastern Washington. (Bobbie Scopa)
Organization update
(Handout 3 – FAM org chart, 11x14, 1 p)
(Handout 4 – FAM phone list, 2 pp)
David Summer

David Summer is currently acting Director for Fire, Fuels & Aviation (FAM) (FS)

Bobbie Scopa is currently acting Branch Chief for FAM (BLM)

CiCi Chitwood is currently acting behind David as Deputy Director for FAM
Because of diminishing budgets and the request to look at what a 10% reduction would look like
in the organization, there’s an effort for re-organization in FAM. A presentation was made to FS
Regional Forester, BLM State Director & deputies to consolidate personnel and positions. From
that meeting, we’ve been tasked to come back with greater detail. This could result in some
efficiencies and savings. We’ll find out more in a month or two.
Sue Husari would like to take a look at Service First Authority with the Park Service within the
DOI. There’s potential in this model, to cooperate better and be more efficient. FWS would like
to be included in this discussion also. (Pam Ensley, Bobbie Scopa & Sue Husari.)
Service First is now a permanent authority. What would a Service First organization look like to
be more efficient? Can the federal community speak with one voice?
Chairs
Pat Kelly
Current PNWCG SC designated members:
Joe Shramek, WADNR
David Summer, USFS
Bobbie Scopa, BLM
Sue Husari, NPS
Cory Winnie, BIA
Pam Ensley, FWS
Dave LaFave, WA Fire Chiefs
JimWalker, OR Fire Marshal
1.18.12 PNWCG SC Meeting, pg 5
Mark Havener, OR Fire Chiefs
Paul Perz, WA Fire Marshal
Nancy Hirsch, ODF
Pat Kelly, Executive Director/Facilitator
Jan Mathis, recording secretary
Working Teams
Fuels Management WT
Cyndi Sidles, FWS
liaison: Pam Ensley
GIS WT
Dale Guenther, USFS
liaison: Sue Husari
Fire Prevention & Communications liaison: Nancy Hirsch
Lauren Maloney, BLM
Aviation
Shad Sitz, NPS
liaison: Joe Shramek
Training
Bob Young, ODF
liaison: Bobbie Scopa
Safety and Health – On pause
Operations
John Szulc, BIA
liaison: David Summer
Incident Business Practices
Cory Winnie
liaison: Brenda Johnson
Advisory Councils
Incident Commander
Brian Watts. BLM
Fire Environment
Jason Loomis, BLM
Fire Program Analysis
Matthew Johnson, NPS
NW Center Managers
Renee Crippen, USFS
December Notes
Jan Mathis
(Handout 5 – PNWCG SC Meeting December 9, 2011 notes, draft v.1, 6 pp)
1.18.12 PNWCG SC Meeting, pg 6
AAR
+Adjustment of agenda worked well.
+Worth trying to do a “half virtual meeting”
+Proactive
Adjourned at 1200 hrs
Handouts
Handout 1 – PNWCG SC Meeting Agenda, Wednesday, January 18, 2012, 1p
Handout 2 – PNWCG SC SC-WT-AC Annual Workshop, February 14-15, 2012, v.1
Handout 3 – FAM SORO org chart, January 2012, 1 p
Handout 4 – AK-SORO phone list, 1-13-12, 2 pp
Handout 5 – PNWCG SC meeting Dec 9, 2011, draft notes, v.1, 6 pp
1.18.12 PNWCG SC Meeting, pg 7
Download
Related flashcards

Corporate governance

23 cards

System administration

65 cards

Management

61 cards

Corporate governance

32 cards

Create Flashcards